IGNORED

ATR8000 Reversing Project

Jim Patchell

I decided it might be fun to reverse the ATR8000. The schematic really sucks, at least, by todays standards. My first step is to redraw the schematic. The copy I have is a Rev C. Were there any other revs?

The second question is, does any body know the bit pattern in U46. This part is a 32x8 prom. But only 16x4 of it is being used. It would be nice if somebody has already done this, but I will get it myself if I have to.

Just for fun, here is the image of the Data Separator for the ATR8000.

DataSeparator.png

• Like 3

The nibble data from low-to-high order addresses is:

$1, $1, $3, $2, $4, $3, $5, $4, $e, $e, $e, $e, $f, $f, $1, $0

D0 =>
!A1 & !A2 & !A3
# !A0 & A1 & !A3
# !A0 & A2 & A3
# A0 & !A1 & A2

D1 =>
!A0 & !A1 & A2 & A3
# A1 & !A2
# A0 & !A1 & A2
# !A1 & !A2 & A3

D2 =>
A1 & !A2 & A3
# !A0 & A2 & !A3
# A0 & A1 & A2 & !A3
# !A1 & A3

D3 =>
A1 & !A2 & A3
# !A1 & A3

• Like 1

As someone who actually had one:

It's like every other modicum of MS-DOS compatibility from 1982 to 1984...it's OS compatible, not hardware compatible, IBM PC stuff which addresses hardware directly (Lotus 1-2-3) will not work.

The advantage to have one, seriously, is for the RAMDISK.

-Thom

Well, it is a hobby! :)

If only I had a Co-Power88. I could use it to run a CP/M emulator that would run a 6502 emulator that would run a Z-machine interpreter and play Zork.<sic>

I had a Sanyo MBC550<?> back in the day. Even belonged to a user group. Fortunately the guy who ran the user group was no small genius who patched everything to work with our hardware. Soon as I got a clone that had better compatibility I gave the Sanyo to my kids. I think I had absconded with one of the disk drives from the Sanyo for another project so just used electrical tape to cover the hole. After several months I got a report back that the computer was no longer working. I opened it up and my kids had shoved a sandwich through the electrical tape and into the computer. I'm not sure, I think they also shoved a VHS tape in there. Expecting to watch a video I imagine. I never fixed it but may have a copy of MS DOS 1.1ish for the Sanyo laying around on a 160k floppy somewhere.

Using those loosely compatibles was not that horrible. They all ran WordStar and had some level of floppy compatibility. I think I still have a version of LISP for the machine too.

• Like 2

All this talk about the Co-Power made me pull mine out. My ATR-8000 came equipped with the Co-Power Plus with 1MB of memory. This board and the regulator are mounted below the Z80 motherboard. It's a pretty simple setup and would be trivial to reproduce with a handful of ICs, a CPLD, and some SRAM. Unfortunately I don't have CP/M up and running to test it.

post-1647-0-56072100-1418086006_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

All this talk about the Co-Power made me pull mine out. My ATR-8000 came equipped with the Co-Power Plus with 1MB of memory. This board and the regulator are mounted below the Z80 motherboard. It's a pretty simple setup and would be trivial to reproduce with a handful of ICs, a CPLD, and some SRAM. Unfortunately I don't have CP/M up and running to test it.

Nice Co-Power II/Plus board.