IGNORED

Can't get Missile Command 3D working

Martianman

I just bought a copy of Missile Command 3D and for whatever reason, I can't get the darn thing working. My Jag CD's cartridge slot has been a little bothersome lately but generally after a few attempts I can get my carts working without much trouble. I've been sitting here trying to get this cartridge working for the past 2 hours now and it won't even detect the cart. Every time I put it in a CD with a question mark shows up. Any ideas or is it just a dead cartridge?

EDIT: I just tried it with my brand spanking new Jaguar CD that I've only taken out of the box once before and it still doesn't work. Guess the cartridge is just kaput :_(

Edited by Martianman

Look on the bottom and see if you have an M model or K model jaguar, post it here and then one of us needs to research if there is a problem with MC3D not working on an M model Jag. I know my mc3d works on my K model jag. I'll start looking around and in the meantime you could break out rubbing alcohol and qtips, cotton cloth and a cut credit card and thoroughly clean the cart edge connector with the qtips and the cart port with the cut to size(2 parts)credit card wrappped in cloth and damp with a bit of alcohol. Or i've used white paper folded up too, it gets black when inserted into the port a bunch of times. Just to be sure, but neither the jag or cart is likely faulty just possibly in compatible. I think i have an M model jag that i will test my mc3d on later and report back, if someone doesn't post a definite answer for you.

• Like 1

Look on the bottom and see if you have an M model or K model jaguar, post it here and then one of us needs to research if there is a problem with MC3D not working on an M model Jag. I know my mc3d works on my K model jag. I'll start looking around and in the meantime you could break out rubbing alcohol and qtips, cotton cloth and a cut credit card and thoroughly clean the cart edge connector with the qtips and the cart port with the cut to size(2 parts)credit card wrappped in cloth and damp with a bit of alcohol. Or i've used white paper folded up too, it gets black when inserted into the port a bunch of times. Just to be sure, but neither the jag or cart is likely faulty just possibly in compatible. I think i have an M model jag that i will test my mc3d on later and report back, if someone doesn't post a definite answer for you.

I have a K model. I will break out the rubbing alcohol next and see if cleaning the cartridge does any good.

Well, i believe there is no analog control chip in the M model(its near the controller ports), as Atari was trying to cut costs towards the end. There may be other differences too. But basically the K model was made by IBM & the M model by JVC, I think. There was a thread here and a site(jaguarwiki i recall?) that tells you everything about the numbers/letters on the bottom. But check the jaguar FAQ(google it) also.

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 1

The only thing the ADC chip affects with Missile Command is that you wouldn't be able to use the HMD on the Jaguar or analog controller input, not that any accessories make use of it. The game itself works on both models of Jaguar units just fine. Sounds like it's definitely something related to the base unit/cartridge itself.

Well, i believe there is no analog control chip in the M model(its near the controller ports), as Atari was trying to cut costs towards the end. There may be other differences too. But basically the K model was made by IBM & the M model by JVC, I think. There was a thread here and a site(jaguarwiki i recall?) that tells you everything about the numbers/letters on the bottom. But check the jaguar FAQ(google it) also.

Had a quick look - thanks. So there's no point in trying to obtain the other model?

Basically, the first batches of american, K model Jags have the ADC chip to support analog controllers. Later american, K model Jags, as well as all non-american ones and all M models, don't have it. Not that it matters anyways, as no official game uses it.

To "decode" serial numbers, take a look here: http://jagopedia.free.fr/jagopedia/index.php?title=Serial_Number

Besides being manufactured by JVC instead of IBM, and manufactured later, M model Jags appear to have a different ROM. The video registers initial values are slightly different, and there might be other modifications. Not much is known about this.

• Like 1

The video registers initial values are slightly different, and there might be other modifications. Not much is known about this.

I have found differences in the way that the GPU handles GPU Objects and a few other differences in the hardware that occur, all related to Tom.

I'd have to crawl back through my notes to find them, but there are some very subtle differences.

• Like 2

I can now confirm that the problem is with the cartridge. Just picked up another copy of Missile Command 3D and it worked like a charm! Guess I just happened upon a dead cartridge. Ah well, if anyone wants one, I now have a spare Missile Command 3D box.

Edited by Martianman

• 2 weeks later...