IGNORED

The SNES Podcast

Hello all! After being inspired by a lot of great podcasts out there dedicated to some of the best classic consoles and computers, I noticed that the SNES was missing one for some strange reason. So, being a big SNES fan, I decided to fix that problem. :)

I am pleased to announce that the Intro episode to The SNES Podcast is now up and live!

Please note, this is a still a bit rough. I'm a new podcaster and still have to get better at this. I'm not that good editing this yet and I'm hoping to find a co-host to help me do this podcast. I know there's still a few things I have to work on, and right now the podcast is very bare bones -- bells and whistles are coming, I promise. :)

You can check out the podcast here: http://thesnespodcast.podomatic.com/

Besides the Intro episode I also have a 'test' episode uploaded where I talk about my experiences with a Mom who managed a video store during the late 80's and early 90's and helping her decide to rent NES games.

In this intro episode of The SNES Podcast I talk about my history with the system, why I decided to do this podcast, some history and facts about the SNES, and the planned format of the show.

The first game covered in the next episode will be SoulBlazer. I don't know if I can do it next week as I am on vacation so it may be two weeks, but I plan to do this weekly.

Please give me all comments and suggestions you may have, and contact me if you are interested in co-hosting or have some games you'd like to suggest I cover. I can be reached here, via PM, or e-mail as said in the podcast.

In the days to come I will get a Facebook page up and try to get this on ITunes and Sticher to increase the word out there. And also once I feel more confident in doing this. :P

Thank you again for everyone who has shown their support!

• Like 4

Thanks to everyone who has checked this out so far. I am aware that I talk rather fast, I tried to control that in this intro episode but clearly didn't do that well. :P This is another reason I wanted to do a intro episode first before I got into it. More practice will help.

And special thanks to Willie for this awesome logo to use!

post-24464-0-65381900-1417279209_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Update:

I am taking next weekend off as I am going to be on vacation but will do the first game SoulBlazer on the weekend of Dec 13th. I have a number of other games that have been requested, but please do let me know if you have one!

I also am looking for a co-host, if interested please contact me.

The Facebook page is up at: https://www.facebook...100008493881775

The Podcast can be found at: http://thesnespodcast.podomatic.com/

I have applied to join ITunes and Sticher and will update once approved.

I also will apply to join the Retro Junkies and Throwback Network once I get more episodes under my belt.

Many thanks again to everyone for their support and I want to hear your impressions and feedback!

• Like 1

First podcast will cover SoulBlazer and will be recorded not this weekend but next weekend.

Please feel free to send me your comments, thoughts, and feedback on this game either here, through PM, or to the Facebook page.

Or the new e-mail set up for the podcast: thesnespodcast@yahoo.com

Thanks for your support!

You can now listen to The SNES Podcast on ITunes and Sticher!

ITunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-snes-podcast/id946726439

Sticher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-super-nintendo-podcast

In addition, I have joined the Retro Junkies Network.

I plan to apply to join the Throwback Network once I have another episode posted.

I'm on vacation right now and will record the first episode next weekend as planned. I probably will have a co-host, we'll see how it goes. Currently on Facebook I am asking people for their SNES memories and experiences and also games they would like to see featured. Feel free to answer those questions here if you want.

Thank you to everyone for their support so far and double special thanks to Willie of the Colecovision Podcast, Ferg of the Atari 2600 game by game podcast, and Aaaron of Retro Obscura for plugging my podcast on theirs. And of course Paul of the Intelivsionaries, who got me going with this on a serious basis with the interview that I did for him.

• 2 weeks later...

The first SNES Podcast episode is up, where my new co-host Chad and I discuss Soul Blazer!

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted, had some technical issues. Aaron at Retro Obscura was very kind with helping me to get some of the issues worked out.

I think the start of the talk with Chad and myself is a bit rough, but once we got into it we were just have a friendly talk back and forth, and forgetting that recording was going on. It will get even better as we go along, I hope. :)

On Sat night we're doing Episode #2, Knights of the Round, with special co-host Willie!

Please send all feedback, comments, suggestions, etc. either here or to the FB page at thesnespodcast or e-mail me at thesnespodcast@yahoo.com

http://thesnespodcas...T15_59_46-08_00

• Like 1

Hey, guys.

I really enjoyed the episode. Nicely done!

My only [audio related] suggestion would be to use a little bit of compression on your spoken word tracks to even them out. I noticed a few times where your audio level dropped quite a bit. It comes down to microphone distance, and whether or not you maintain the same distance throughout, and whether or not you speak at relatively the same level throughout - neither of which are easy to do, but a compressor can really help out - boosting the low levels and lowering the high levels.

Presumably there is one in Audacity? I use a hardware compressor / limiter with noise gate when recording (to keep things in check as they are being recorded). Using a software compressor after the fact works well too, though. You can experiment with different settings to see what sounds best. You might also want to 'Normalize' the track as well, or try that before compression.

All that aside, great episode. You guys worked well together, and thoroughly covered what sounds like a great game. Looking forward to trying out SoulBlazer in emulation soon.

:grin:

• Like 2

Hey, guys.

I really enjoyed the episode. Nicely done!

My only [audio related] suggestion would be to use a little bit of compression on your spoken word tracks to even them out. I noticed a few times where your audio level dropped quite a bit. It comes down to microphone distance, and whether or not you maintain the same distance throughout, and whether or not you speak at relatively the same level throughout - neither of which are easy to do, but a compressor can really help out - boosting the low levels and lowering the high levels.

Presumably there is one in Audacity? I use a hardware compressor / limiter with noise gate when recording (to keep things in check as they are being recorded). Using a software compressor after the fact works well too, though. You can experiment with different settings to see what sounds best. You might also want to 'Normalize' the track as well, or try that before compression.

All that aside, great episode. You guys worked well together, and thoroughly covered what sounds like a great game. Looking forward to trying out SoulBlazer in emulation soon.

:grin:

looking forward to listening :). are you going to put it on itunes?

Episode was good, I liked it. Looking forward to hearing more. This was one, if not the, favorite platform I owned.

You guys did a great job, really enjoyed the episode. Thank you for the plug as well!

Thanks for the positive comments and constructive feedback, guys! :) I'm still a bit unsure about doing this, as I haven't gotten much feedback on this outside of Atari Age, but a number of people have indicated they were looking forward to the podcast.

Aaron from Retro Obscura also weighed in with some good feedback and suggestions for both Chad and myself, and I'm going to apply to do most of that when I record the next podcast tomorrow night.

To take each of you in turn --

Paul: I'm aware of some technical issues, like you said. I didn't edit the podcast, at least, not the 'talky' part of it. When Chad came on board we split the responsibilities of the podcast between us. I have no editing experience at all, where as at least Chad has a little, so he agreed to do the editing on the main part of the podcast and also maintain the Retro Junkies and feedback part of the social media. I agreed to do the editing on the intro and closing, post the final podcast, make sure it got everywhere, do the research, and handle the group FB page.

Aaron has been kind in helping both of us to use Audacity better. I didn't realize just how sensitive that my mike is -- it picks up EVERYTHING. I even heard the mouse clickings I was doing to go get the feedback or when I took a drink. So I gotta learn how to use the mute. :P I'm also still trying to see what I can do to cut down on the echo effect that is being produced for some reason (it's a small room with carpet and all that), I may put it a bit closer.

Willie, the podcast is indeed on ITunes at https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-snes-podcast/id946726439

Rip, thanks for your feedback via the PM also. I know that I am still a little nervous with doing this, and Chad did clean up the recording so that there were not as many of those coming through. I'm not using a script, just some notes, so sometimes things can be a bit disjointed.

Ferg, you're welcome -- after plugging my show the last couple of your podcasts it seemed the least I could do. :) And I'm taking bits and pieces from your podcast and a bunch of other ones in what I liked best in doing mine.

Finally, I'm going to throw this open to anyone -- if anyone out there has a favorite SNES game and would like to appear on the podcast to talk about it, please let me know and I'll make the arrangements.

Greg

• Like 1

Episode #2 of the SNES Podcast is now live!

Welcome to the SNES Podcast episode #2! In this episode Chad and I discuss Knights of the Round, a port of the beat-em-up arcade game from Capcom in 1991. We are joined by guest host Willie of the Colecovision Podcast and ArcadeUSA on YouTube. Willie is a big fan of the game and it was a honor to have him on the podcast. Please submit all feedback, comments, questions, etc. either to the e-mail at thesnespodcast@yahoo.com or on our Facebook page under The SNES Podcast. Next week Chad is doing holiday things so I will record a SNES Special (content TBA) and we Chad and I will return with a new game on Jan 3rd. Thank you for your support, it means so much to us!

http://thesnespodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2014-12-22T21_18_36-08_00

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! I was inspired by other Christmas episodes that other podcasters have done to record a few days early and include my own SNES Christmas memories (and some other systems) and three of my favorite SNES games that I got for Christmas. The episode finishes with some discussion about SNES homebrews. Chad and I will be back with a regular SNES podcast on Jan 3rd with Earth Defense Force. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. please contact me at thesnespodcast@yahoo.com or on the Facebook pages. Thanks for your support!

http://thesnespodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2014-12-24T13_08_17-08_00

• 5 months later...