IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2014 Championship

DZ-Jay

this is exactly why I use a 4-way joystick, it really helps

I also just go for presents after I go through once

i need to get an ultimarc 4-way 8-way switchable from the top arcade stick and put it in my icade (Not the full mini upright arcade version of icade) if there is room and wire it up so i can use that for this.
  • Like 1

Actually i know how to get a perfect in every round. I even had perfect in both twisted toylands on this game as well. I never watched videos to study them. My problems mostly are when i try to go say up i may go left right or down. Also my thumb gets very cramped playing this.

I strongly recommend to not try perfects, at least for levels you're not 90% secure about.

At least for me, that's the biggest obstacle to achieve higher scores.

That's how I classify levels regarding perfects*.

Haunted Hollow

Don't try a perfect score!

Frosted Maze

It is possible but the risks don't pay off and I decided to not try perfects.

Candy Cove

Is it necessary to comment this level? Read carefully the name of the level!

Icicle Lane

:) Perfects every time. :)

Snowflake Garden

I always aim for perfects here! ;)

Freezer Burn

Usually the ghost decides for me. If all goes well, it's natural to finish it perfectly. When troubles occur, run!

Krystal keep

I don't try perfects.

Twisted Toyland

* Actually I try to get perfects in every level in Novice and in the first occurence of each level in Helper.

• Like 4

I strongly recommend to not try perfects, at least for levels you're not 90% secure about.

Haunted Hollow

Frosted Maze

Candy Cove

Icicle Lane

Snowflake Garden

Freezer Burn

Usually the ghost decides for me. If all goes well, it's natural to finish it perfectly. When troubles occur, run!

Krystal keep

I don't try perfects.

Twisted Toyland

* Actually I try to get perfects in every level in Novice and in the first occurence of each level in Helper.

Here's my list:

Haunted Hollow

I usually try for perfects, not too bad, except on higher ranks.

Frosted Maze

Always perfect, no matter what. :P

Candy Cove

I... must... resist... the urge... For some reason I can't resist the siren calls, but I really should!

Icicle Lane

Perfects every time.

Snowflake Garden

I aim for perfects, and with Liduario's trick for getting the Snowman out of the pen, it's not too bad.

Freezer Burn

Perfects every time! Except when I screw up at higher ranks, and eat a snowflake at the moment the Snowman comes out. At that point, there is absolutely no friggin' way to survive.

Krystal keep

I try, but most of the time I chicken out and pickup the last present leaving some candy. The Ghost is relentless in this one.

Twisted Toyland

Perfect all the time.

As you can see, if it weren't for Candy Cove, I'd be kicking Liduario's ass every time. But I tend to lose most of my lives there. :(

I truly don't understand the issues you guys have with Frosted Maze. I find it to be one of the easiest levels! It is so easy to keep the Snowman away on a different level, and the Ghost can be avoided simply by picking up presents whenever he stops, or you eat a snowflake. The trick is to eat the piece of candy in the middle platform at the beginning. After that, you just pick up everything else by "nibbling" on the edges: come in from the side, pick up an item, and head back out--always staying close to the tunnel.

Even when the Ghost hits me on this one, I always manage to recover; it's not too hard. Sometimes it takes me a long time to complete, but I always get perfects.

-dZ.

• Like 1

So, I thought to use my Cuttle Cart 3 to play. I always keep a copy of the latest version for testing in my CC3 to play when the mood hits me. I plugged the CC3 in and...

attachicon.gifIMG_1439.JPG <- click to enlarge

It's Liduario's special edition from CvW 2013!!! :o

Well, it's my birthday and I am determined, so with apologies to Liduario, I fired it up.

A couple of tries...

attachicon.gifIMG_1430.JPG <- click to enlarge

A few Perfect Levels...

attachicon.gifIMG_1433.JPG <- click to enlarge

And... what's this...? I don't recognize this level! ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_1436.JPG <- click to enlarge

Finally, I got a respectable score. Yay!

attachicon.gifIMG_1438.JPG

All in all, it was a good afternoon. :)

Yesterday, I plugged the Scary-Ghost Edition and, with apologies to Dz-Jay, I'm posting a higher score to celebrate I'm in holidays with plenty of free time to play. :party:

post-32348-0-84670500-1419071897_thumb.jpg Thank you very much, Dz-Jay! Perfect Game, Perfect Christmas Gift.

• Like 3

Check out this video for examples of "Perfect" Frosted Maze solutions. Also notice at around the 2:15 mark is an demonstration of getting hit by the Ghost multiple times in the level (it's embarrassing!) and still recover and get "Perfect!"

http://www.carolvsghost.com/videos/Frosted%20Maze%20-%20Solution.mov

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Yesterday, I plugged the Scary-Ghost Edition and, with apologies to Dz-Jay, I'm posting a higher score to celebrate I'm in holidays with plenty of free time to play. :party:

attachicon.gif2014-12-19_22-59-27_590.jpg Thank you very much, Dz-Jay! Perfect Game, Perfect Christmas Gift.

My God! Is there no stopping you? Even with a brand new and more challenging enemy, you still manage to get level 70! :o

• Like 2

Haunted Hollow

Frosted Maze

Candy Cove

Icicle Lane

Snowflake Garden

Freezer Burn

Krystal keep

I don't try perfects.

Twisted Toyland

this is exactly what I do too, besides the first occurence of each level in Helper

Edited by grips03
  • Like 2

Haunted Hollow

Frosted Maze

Candy Cove

Icicle Lane

Snowflake Garden

Freezer Burn

Krystal keep

I don't try perfects.

Twisted Toyland

i actually found a pattern for every level. It really is only the controller going wrong directions that screws me up. Some of that could also be because the controller cramps my hand really bad. I even found a pattern for the no good piece of crap candy cove. The only prob with candy cove is losing all your presents and having to get them back from the top 2 rooms without the snowman catching you
  • Like 1

i actually found a pattern for every level. It really is only the controller going wrong directions that screws me up. Some of that could also be because the controller cramps my hand really bad. I even found a pattern for the no good piece of crap candy cove. The only prob with candy cove is losing all your presents and having to get them back from the top 2 rooms without the snowman catching you

Wait, are you saying that the game decodes your movements wrong? Does this happen on the Intellivision Master Component controllers, or on some franken-troller that you put together?

I've heard from a couple of people that they have trouble controlling the game, but all of them have been on non-original hardware controllers.

-dZ.

I understand, then you really should find a better controller for you (keyboard, d-pads...).

But I insist.

I don't doubt you can achieve a Perfect Christmas, actually I believe you're very close to that. :thumbsup:

Now, imagine when you forget these perfects. Anyone who achieves a Perfect Christmas should be a Ranger Elf. ;)

Maybe, thinking of the Ranger Elf Title as if it was a candy... :-D

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision
  • Like 2

Haunted Hollow

Frosted Maze

Candy Cove

Icicle Lane

Snowflake Garden

Freezer Burn

Krystal keep

I don't try perfects.

Twisted Toyland

Yep ... same here. Not worth the extra 10 points to try on levels one and two.

Candy Cove is total survival (avoid the ghost at all costs) level.

Krystal Keep is too chaotic (if my pattern breaks).

The others are perfects unless, as Lid mentioned, the ghost decides to venture outside the middle.

• Like 2

Today I got ghost busted trying to get perfect. :(

attachicon.gifshot0000.gif

The two times I have got a perfect Xmas occurred when I just simply got over the obsession of going for a perfect Xmas. When a perfect happens it happens but we should not aim for that. Aiming for perfects damages gameplay and may be a recipe for disaster. Cheers.

• Like 1

Haunted Hollow

Frosted Maze

Candy Cove

Icicle Lane

Snowflake Garden

Freezer Burn

Krystal keep

I don't try perfects.

Twisted Toyland

I completely agree. Insightful. Cheers.

• Like 1

Haunted Hollow

Frosted Maze

Candy Cove

Icicle Lane

Snowflake Garden

Freezer Burn

Krystal keep

I don't try perfects.

Twisted Toyland

as far as haunted hallow goes i found a way to get a perfect everytime on any difficulty without the snowman or ghost ever once chasing you.
  • Like 2

Wait, are you saying that the game decodes your movements wrong? Does this happen on the Intellivision Master Component controllers, or on some franken-troller that you put together?

I've heard from a couple of people that they have trouble controlling the game, but all of them have been on non-original hardware controllers.

-dZ.

my problems with any "controller". A lot of it probably has to do with my thumb cramping. But i found a "non-original" controller that works great with no hand cramping. (Well not from my gaming hand) i used an nes advantage "non-original controller" and first fame, BOOM!!! I smash my old high score. The way i modded all my controllers for my wii i can use them as "atari joysticks" on my ultimate flashback. ;) :) :)

post-30773-0-85547300-1419132775_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2