IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2014 Championship

DZ-Jay

Okay, noticing a pattern here… so far, the highest scoring entries and by great margins, have all been submitted by people using an emulator. Superior directional pad or not… something's not right here!

Maybe high score contests should be divided up between emulators and real hardware??

Hmm... I wouldn't say it is a pattern. This is the third time I've run this championship, and the winners have always been a mixture of people playing in emulation and those in a console. How else do you account for this fantastic score? When in doubt, we've asked for video proof and it has been provided.

As to the highest scores seen so far, well keep in mind that some players like Fushek are veterans of this competition, so they know their way around saving Christmas.

In any case, I take your point, and I will surely keep it in mind when accepting submissions and ranking players. We want to keep it safe and fair for everyone. :)

-dZ.

Don't get me wrong DZ, not insinuating that there's any real "cheating" going on. Just that it seems it might be easier to score higher using an emulator for various reasons.

And the pattern I speak of is just regarding the entries posted so far in this thread. Didn't pay enough attention to previous years. :)

Don't get me wrong DZ, not insinuating that there's any real "cheating" going on. Just that it seems it might be easier to score higher using an emulator for various reasons.

And the pattern I speak of is just regarding the entries posted so far in this thread. Didn't pay enough attention to previous years. :)

No worries. Personally, I think it's easier to play on the console, but that's just me. :)

Alright! I finally was able to catch up with all that post-age action going on!

To the newcomers I say, don't fret about those impressive high scores; there are certainly some veterans here, but keep in mind that there's a full month to bring your skills up to speed. These guys started just like you, posting 250 points and such.

Plus, there are prizes at all skill levels, so you're if anything, you're bound to find your place among the great players. :)

That darn cursed, evil rolling snowball found my hiding place.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Wow, getting better, that's some serious score, mate! :)

P.S. Where was your hiding place?

Some perfects! and score for the day 1164

Wow! Awesome! You've certainly working your way up those achievements! Nice score too.

CHRISTMAS CAROL - 1,700 / Level 19 (I saved Christmas once)

PICTURES (with some PERFECTS level):

attachicon.gifshot0018.gif attachicon.gifshot0019.gif attachicon.gifshot0020.gif attachicon.gifshot0021.gif attachicon.gifshot0022.gif attachicon.gifshot0023.gif attachicon.gifshot0024.gif attachicon.gifshot0025.gif

VIDEO (with audio recorded):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKPr-0W0trI

So there it is! I was lurking the interwebz this morning, and found that video posted on YouTube and wondered, "whoa! I just stumbled upon some mystery entry for the contest in YouTube!"

Welcome back, Wilson T. Oyama, it's nice to see some of the veterans come back. It shows the enthusiasm for the game and the championship. Plus videos like yours can offer tips to the newcomers. :)

I've updated the official leaderboard, so go check out your achievements so far.

Great work, everyone!

-dZ.

P.S. Where was your hiding place?

Heh ... not really a hiding place, but the snowball doesn't often venture into the top right corner where the far present is. He wandered that way and I was toast!

As to the console vs emulation ... I do the emulation for a few reasons. One, because my setup isn't great, the red dots do not show up well on my screen against the black background. Secondly (and more the reason) is that I have kids and a wife that monopolize the tv and my time. On the laptop, I can "escape" and play, pause, and then play more later. Most of my games (which can take two hours to complete!) are done in spurts as my honey-do-list overfloweth and my kids call "DAD! I need some help with my homework", etc. Playing my Intellivision these days is (unfortunately) a rare luxury!

Also, as DZ mentioned, the first score that I ever posted was 1,393 back in 2012 (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/205979-hsc-season-3-game-15-carol-vs-the-world/?do=findComment&comment=2649509) so ... stick with it! If you take the time to go through the old topics, there are is some GREAT advice on how to tackle some of the levels or, if you get stuck, let us know what level you're having problems with ... we'll throw you a bone or two (until you get really good, then I'm cutting you off ... this IS a competition you know!)

Most of all, enjoy!

• Like 4

Okay, noticing a pattern here so far, the highest scoring entries and by great margins, have all been submitted by people using an emulator. Superior directional pad or not something's not right here!

Maybe high score contests should be divided up between emulators and real hardware??

let me post a score up. Then you will see how pathetic someone can be for playing on emulation...
  • Like 1

So, where's your score, pimpmaul69? Remember, in the Carol vs. The World! Championship, all scores are High Scores. We encourage you to post all your scores and track your progress and improvement with the rest of the gang. :)

Cheers!

-dZ.

I have been like a chicken with his head cut off the last couple days trying to get christmas done.. I will post my pathetic sorry excuse for a score in the next couple days. My score will be made jokes out of. People might even say im playing like some disabled person. (which would be true. Tremors bring out the best in retro gaming :lol:) but hey its all in the spirit of christmas! Best time of the year. I love nothing more than to see the kids faces when they open their gifts. I truly wish the world was a better place and every kid could have that excitement.

I have been like a chicken with his head cut off the last couple days trying to get christmas done.. I will post my pathetic sorry excuse for a score in the next couple days. My score will be made jokes out of. People might even say im playing like some disabled person. (which would be true. Tremors bring out the best in retro gaming :lol:) but hey its all in the spirit of christmas! Best time of the year. I love nothing more than to see the kids faces when they open their gifts. I truly wish the world was a better place and every kid could have that excitement.

We won't judge you.

Well, we will judge your score for the championship, but we will not make any judgement on you personally, based on the height of your score. :)

-dZ.

663 :)

post-32348-0-64766900-1417608503_thumb.png

The path to a perfectionist Carol isn't easy.

I'm really not hidding scores. That's the result of 'only perfect games-die once stop playing' + '1 year after' + '1 game per day until 19th Dec' (hard work before and holidays after :thumbsup:) + 'I forgot snowman comes from left in Icicle Lane' (one of the easiest stages to get perfects due to the trap snowman trick :-D).

We won't judge you.

Well, we will judge your score for the championship, but we will not make any judgement on you personally, based on the height of your score. :)

-dZ.

He,he. How could you predict my next score?

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision
  • Like 1

What do you mean?

The F9 key makes the game full screen, my F9 key is also my pause button (which is supposed to pause the game), so instead of pausing the game it maximises it... So I basically can't pause the game...

Edited by Twisted

The F9 key makes the game full screen, my F9 key is also my pause button (which is supposed to pause the game), so instead of pausing the game it maximises it... So I basically can't pause the game...

Then use the built-in game pause feature: press the keys 1+9 simultaneously on the mapped keypad.

My pause button is also my F9 key, can anyone help an idiot out?

Then use the built-in game pause feature: press the keys 1+9 simultaneously on the mapped keypad.

Or use the command key functions built into jzIntv:

Cmd-Q = Quit

Cmd-P = Pause

Cmd-M = Movie

Cmd-S = Screen Shot

Cmd-R = Reset

Cmd-W = Windowed/full-screen mode toggle

• Like 1

663 :)

attachicon.gifxmascarol2.png

The path to a perfectionist Carol isn't easy.

I'm really not hidding scores. That's the result of 'only perfect games-die once stop playing' + '1 year after' + '1 game per day until 19th Dec' (hard work before and holidays after :thumbsup:) + 'I forgot snowman comes from left in Icicle Lane' (one of the easiest stages to get perfects due to the trap snowman trick :-D).

He,he. How could you predict my next score?

Well, little by little, I'm sure you'll make it. For those not familiar with what Liduario is doing, we call it "The Perfect Christmas Supreme": it means completing all eight stages of the game with Perfect Score on every level, on all four ranks within the same game--that's 64 perfect stages, or 128 perfect levels!

Only one person has completed it so far ever, Cparsley--the best Christmas Carol player ever. His score has gone unsung for long because he was co-host and co-judge of the competition for the past two years, and therefore was not qualified to compete. I hope he joins us this year, though, and impress us all. :)

Anyway, I've updated the official leaderboard with Liduario's latest score.

Cheers!

-dZ.

• Like 1

Only one person has completed it so far ever, Cparsley--the best Christmas Carol player ever. His score has gone unsung for long because he was co-host and co-judge of the competition for the past two years, and therefore was not qualified to compete. I hope he joins us this year, though, and impress us all. :)

Cparsley is eligible this year??? :-o

Holy crap ... we're all doomed!!!

• Like 1