IGNORED

nyd 2015

pps

Nope - I can't see a download link for Part 2? Where is it?

With the dancing bananas game - you don't have to play it, if you don't want to... Just let it go to Game Over, and leave it running... It is suppose to be a demo too...

I'm not into dancing etc games myself - and so, it is meant to be a graphics demo too....

Of course the res is on the low side .... but Star Raiders did well working in such a low res too....

Harvey

Your game is cool imho. my son can't stop playing and he was so happy to see his heros on the A8 :) "Papa Kirby is there." he shouts, even when I just started to test it on the real machine :)

No second part to download. If you have the problem with miker & Sunday'S part on disc 1, simply click on the blue text above to download a disc one with corrected file. Or load the file at pouet.net. There it is all in one, but new version...

Ha, the reason for the error seems to be found.

If you use Altirra on 32 bit it doesn't play the sound of Sunday - if you use the 64 bit edition it plays just fine, as the real machine does.

It doesn't matter if you change the OS rom as I thought first, but it seems to be the Emulator.

Sorry - it's my fault after all. Too lazy in not unzipping the file - to get the 3 parts. Too use to running it as is, via Altirra - which only shows Part 1.

Had I the time available I would have gone and used various Atari 8-bit sprites/etc - and so I simply used what sprite sheets I could find - via the Internet - but I don't think I could have drawn as well, as the best examples as used...

There were many other sprites tested - and as many did not make it in the final version - most were not as good?

Harvey

Ha, the reason for the error seems to be found.

If you use Altirra on 32 bit it doesn't play the sound of Sunday - if you use the 64 bit edition it plays just fine, as the real machine does.

It doesn't matter if you change the OS rom as I thought first, but it seems to be the Emulator.

Not an emulator bug -- reproduced on NTSC 800XL. For some reason, this demo does not play music correctly if MyPicoDos is running at standard speed (19200 baud). It plays correctly both on real hardware and in Altirra if high speed (57.6Kbaud) is active. Have not been able to identify yet what causes this, but I suspect it is a stray memory access.

With the dancing bananas game - you don't have to play it, if you don't want to... Just let it go to Game Over, and leave it running... It is suppose to be a demo too...

I'm not into dancing etc games myself - and so, it is meant to be a graphics demo too....

Of course the res is on the low side .... but Star Raiders did well working in such a low res too....

Harvey

Harvey, your game is very nice! Sprites are so cute!

Tonight I played it with my daughter after Just Dance 2015.

I would let start the game by pressing fire too.

Harvey, your game is very nice! Sprites are so cute!

Tonight I played it with my daughter after Just Dance 2015.

I would let start the game by pressing fire too.

I can't take credit for drawing the graphics because I did not design them - I only retouched a few of them, others were simply transferred/copied across - having to drop colours and/or pixels out. Nor can I take credit for the game - but I am pleased to have worked on it.

I would like to work with others - particularly in the way of graphics demos - but no one wants to work with me? I have a graphics demo philosophy - of never the same thing twice - and not another boring graphics/sound demo please.... but no one wants to listen to me, or take me seriously on this..

Harvey

• Like 2

Some really, really good stuff this year... thanks to all for another annual Atari gift!

Strictly Gone Bananas is just adorable, Quarrion is the kind of game I could play for hours.

MaPa and PG have once again left me scratching my head, mouth open wondering "how did they do that??"

Some beautiful artwork and intros, too. Thanks again to everyone!

• Like 1

The problem with the Sunday demo is that it has an uninitialized read of memory address 0. The MyPicoDos loader also uses this address and it gets different values depending on whether HSIO is used. Turn off high speed to bypass the demo bug and get music working.

• Like 2

The credit for mine on the menu should say TMR and Bex rather than blex... =-)

So sorry for that mistake. Will be corrected soon. Stay tuned.

Edit: Find attached the new and hopefully final version of nyd...

updated disc 1 and 3, nfo file and gif file. Thanks for your help nailing out the errors.

NYD_2015.v3.zip

PS: pouet loaders will have the right file too - even my website is updated.

Edited by pps
  • Like 2

I did not the whole thread so perhaps I am posting something old... but dat D.I.T.C.H game does not work properly on PAL 800XL here.

1) There is a garbage piece of data in the player moving along with the player.

2) As long as the helicopter is not landed yet, you already can move that piece of garbage

3) After a minute the game crashes.

Any updates? Am I doing something wrong?

I did not the whole thread so perhaps I am posting something old... but dat D.I.T.C.H game does not work properly on PAL 800XL here.

1) There is a garbage piece of data in the player moving along with the player.

2) As long as the helicopter is not landed yet, you already can move that piece of garbage

3) After a minute the game crashes.

Any updates? Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, that are known bugs.

Creature XL has got ill, so he can't do any correction on this, but he wanted to release it for nyd, as somewhat of a demo and when he is back again, he will bring us a working version.

you have to get out until a minute is gone, and if not a game over screen should appear, but it crashes. So take it as a demo of what comes.

• Like 4

i don't really have anything ready at the moment apart from an old prototype i was refitting for a scrolltext that never came. Might do some surgery on that perhaps... it has raster bars!

Looks like I owe you an apology.. Sorry....I do have a terrible memory at times...I guess there's always next time - if you still would accept something from me... just remind me 2 weeks ahead... I am always writing texts in my head... and would be glad of anyone who would use them...

Harvey

Yes, that are known bugs.

Creature XL has got ill, so he can't do any correction on this, but he wanted to release it for nyd, as somewhat of a demo and when he is back again, he will bring us a working version.

Well, thank him for a nice preview!

Even with those bugs I've managed to get deeper into the caves and must say that 'powers' upgrade system (Metroidvania like) is a good thing.

Best wishes to Creature XL, may he recover quickly!

Ps. I hear mulled wine is specially good in this time of year, specially if you are sick :)

I can't take credit for drawing the graphics because I did not design them - I only retouched a few of them, others were simply transferred/copied across - having to drop colours and/or pixels out. Nor can I take credit for the game - but I am pleased to have worked on it.

I would like to work with others - particularly in the way of graphics demos - but no one wants to work with me? I have a graphics demo philosophy - of never the same thing twice - and not another boring graphics/sound demo please.... but no one wants to listen to me, or take me seriously on this..

Harvey

Special thanks for that great presentation idea and game. I hope it opened eyes to other Atari coders.

Could you add, how much memory the program uses, when running?

Special thanks for that great presentation idea and game. I hope it opened eyes to other Atari coders.

Could you add, how much memory the program uses, when running?

I can't answer technical questions as that is not my particular area of expertise.

However I'll quote some details...

The graphics mode is GTIA 10 bitmapped mode with scan lines quadrupled up to give a
resolution of 80x48 and square pixels. This mode requires less RAM than
other bitmap modes, hence the 6502 can move larger objects around. Of
course, the downside is that the pixels are rather big.
Originally it was intended for 48k machines with only 8 frames of animation - but soon was changed when 16 frame animations were added, and 64k of memory was then needed. I think a gzip routine was used to zip/unzip the graphics - otherwise there would have been far fewer characters appearing.
No other mode would have been possible with the number of frames being used. Oh, you can blame Centron 3D for being the inspiration - for it's appearance then non-appearance - because 2 girls dancing on screen - was suppose to be appearing here.. but it never quite made it?
This project was not intended to be in some kind of contest - but is done purely for the fun and wackiness of it. If anything it would be nice if it did encourage people to try new stuff out - and try to do stuff not seen before?
Although it is labeled a game - it is also a graphics demo - if you let it go to the game over screen...
Harvey
Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 3

I can't answer technical questions as that is not my particular area of expertise.

However I'll quote some details...

The graphics mode is GTIA 10 bitmapped mode with scan lines quadrupled up to give a

resolution of 80x48 and square pixels. This mode requires less RAM than

other bitmap modes, hence the 6502 can move larger objects around. Of

course, the downside is that the pixels are rather big.

Originally it was intended for 48k machines with only 8 frames of animation - but soon was changed when 16 frame animations were added, and 64k of memory was then needed. I think a gzip routine was used to zip/unzip the graphics - otherwise there would have been far fewer characters appearing.

No other mode would have been possible with the number of frames being used.

It seems, you don't know what a big favor you did for me. I'm always proposing the 4x4 mode for 3D. And now you showed how nice things can look and be animated at that resolution. And you use only a stock Atari 64K for doing that.

Thanks again!

Edited by emkay