IGNORED

Jaguar games that are clones

Rick Dangerous

It occurred to me the other day just how many jaguar games were clones of successful titles on other systems. The early to mid 90's was a golden era for gaming so its hard to blame them for hopping on some bandwagons, but just for fun i wanted to start a list and see what other people could come up with. I actually like a lot of these games and this isn't about judgement, it's just about fun, making connections, and video game knowledge/history.

1. Atari Karts--Mario Kart (SNES)

2. Blue Lightning--Afterburner (Arcade, Genesis, Etc.)

3. Brutal Sports Football--Mutant League Football (Genesis-Arguable as they came out around the same time)

4. Bubsy--Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis-debatable because Bubsy appears on genesis first as a clone on that system)

5. Checkered Flag--Virtua Racing (Arcade/Genesis)

6. Cybermorph--Starfox (SNES)

7. DDV/Dragon--Street fighter 2 clones? (not sure on this one)

8. Evolution: Dino Dudes--Lemmings (Every system ever)

9. Fight for Life--Virtua Fighter (Arcade, 32x)

10. Kasumi Ninja--Mortal Kombat II

11. Super Burnout--Super Hang On (Arcade, Genesis)

12. Towers II--D&D Games (assorted systems)

13. Ultra Vortek--Mortak Kombat II

14. Zool 2--Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis)

What am I missing? :)

???

complete different game and gameplay.. okay its 3D.. you are right :grin:

8. Evolution: Dino Dudes--Lemmings ???

also complete different game and gameplay... okay its also 2d so it must be a clone :P

dont forget black ice white noise .. its a clone of gta3 .. hahaha :?

Might be worth noting the origins of Brutal Sports Football:

The concept was never actually drawn up as a sports game at all, let alone a clone of anything else out there.On paper at least it started out as 'Axequest' and was going to be a horizontally scrolling, fantasy themed beat-em-up, with RPG elements, but designers thoought that'd never catch peoples interest, so decided to go the sports aspect instead, as it was something punters could get their heads around, far easier.
Bit of triva for you all there. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

It occurred to me the other day just how many jaguar games were clones of successful titles on other systems. The early to mid 90's was a golden era for gaming so its hard to blame them for hopping on some bandwagons, but just for fun i wanted to start a list and see what other people could come up with. I actually like a lot of these games and this isn't about judgement, it's just about fun, making connections, and video game knowledge/history.

1. Atari Karts--Mario Kart (SNES)

2. Blue Lightning--Afterburner (Arcade, Genesis, Etc.)

3. Brutal Sports Football--Mutant League Football (Genesis-Arguable as they came out around the same time)

5. Checkered Flag--Virtua Racing (Arcade/Genesis)

7. DDV/Dragon--Street fighter 2 clones? (not sure on this one)

8. Evolution: Dino Dudes--Lemmings (Every system ever)

9. Fight for Life--Virtua Fighter (Arcade, 32x)

10. Kasumi Ninja--Mortal Kombat II

11. Super Burnout--Super Hang On (Arcade, Genesis)

12. Towers II--D&D Games (assorted systems)

13. Ultra Vortek--Mortak Kombat II

I pretty much agree with most of what you have said here tbh, maybe with the exception of:

-

4. Bubsy--Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis-debatable because Bubsy appears on genesis first as a clone on that system)

14. Zool 2--Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis)

-

I agree (re: 4 & 14) that the games centralised themselves around the "animals with attitude" concept, but aside the icon collecting and platforming seen in every platformer since Super Mario on NES, they were really their own games, simply in the same genre.

As for Starfox... aside the basic 3D visuals and theme, they are completely different games entirely. If anything, Starfox is a clone of StarBlade.

Cybermorph is probably very similar to something else, but I'm not sure what to be exact.

Also, just to touch on Kasumi Ninja, Ultra Vortek and DDV:

Personally, I feel UV was aimed more towards being an MK3 type title > MKII. Seems like an odd gripe, but both MKII and MK3 are very different.

Kasumi Ninja definitely has the MK1 vibe going on. Neither UV or KN seem at all like MKII imo.

As for DDV, it was clearly a 2D fighter cash-in attempt on SFII's immense popularity. Luckily the NeoGeo version, whilst considered average amongst other fighters on the system, is actually a solid effort...

Edited by NeoGeoNinja