IGNORED

Best Home Version of Mario Bros.?

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite home version of Mario Bros?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 5200
    • Atari 7800
    • Atari 8-bit
    • ColecoVision
    • NES
    • Other (post)
  2. 2. How do you pronounce "Mario"?

• Mare-e-o
    • Marr-e-o

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Reaching way, way back into my memory, I seem to recall an episode of Muppet Babies entitled 'It's Only Pretendo' which featured that intentional mispronunciation. (Here's a link to it) I always assumed that the people who said it that way picked it up from there either directly or indirectly.

It's pretty high on my pet peeve list. Right next to mispronunciation of 'Taito' or 'gaiden.' Well below people who feel games are 'addicting' though. If we still let nuns hit kids with rulers, it wouldn't be on the verge of accepted speech.

I actually said "TAY-to" once or twice, then was corrected to "ta-EE-to" but I think it's actually "TIE-to" (two syllables by English conventions).

I always said "Tay-toe." (I watch Todd Tuckey's TNT Amusements YouTube videos and he says "Tay-toe" as well). I've also heard it pronounced "Tie-toe." I'm guessing "Tie-toe" is probably the correct pronunciation.

I like the 2600 version, but only with the fireball turned on. The limitation of one enemy per platform (if I remember correctly) hurts it.

Yeah, one sprite per line hurts a bit, but they make up for it with the machine gun fireball. I managed to roll the score once years ago even with that constantly coming. Boy, that was hard, and IIRC took about 30 minutes.