IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback: Controller Warning

Chris++

When I had a real CV, I had an Atari 2600 controller plugged in on the left. I'd use the right-hand controller to start a game. This enabled me to use my preferred joystick. While I could obviously only play games that used a single fire button, they were among my favorites (Frenzy and Pepper II come to mind).

My buddy Adam bought the Dollar General version of the Flashback. After trying out a few games, we thought we'd plug in an Atari joystick, just to see if, by some chance, it worked. We figured that the signals would be different, but that it couldn't hurt to try. That was not a correct assumption.

Upon seeing that it didn't work, we switched back to the Flashback controller, whose top row of numbers no longer worked. Something had been fried in the unit's player-one apparatus.

What absolves me from guilt is that it was actually his idea. He went and bought another one the next day. Anyway, in case the idea ever strikes you, refrain from using a real 2600 controller on your CV Flashback.