IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback with alternate games :)

5-11under

A CollectorVision Flashback!?

HELL YES!!! :cool:

with all the people involve with collectorvision that kind of project is just a matter of time the case and controller already done so you need new sticker and someone to program the board

aeswome project i dont know if you could hook a cartridge port to the board

maybe sgm support in the emulator and you get the perfect machine

Alekmul ?

Edited by chart45

A CollectorVision Flashback!?

HELL YES!!! :cool:

Just had a brillant thought...

How about place the CollectorVision Flashback inside the case of your Arcade Quality Controller? An all inclusive unit and then just add a second game port to the unit for player #2. A trakball or speed roller added would be the ultimate, but not necessary with most of the games that require special controllers having been hacked to use the standard controller.

• Like 1

with all the people involve with collectorvision that kind of project is just a matter of time the case and controller already done so you need new sticker and someone to program the board

aeswome project i dont know if you could hook a cartridge port to the board

maybe sgm support in the emulator and you get the perfect machine

Alekmul

Finding someone to program the board isn't a problem. ;)

A cartridge port would be more trouble than it's worth, I think. The voltages are different, so you'd need to account for that. I'm not 100% sure the system will handle non-compressed ROM "files", either. The memory addressing would be a bit of a challenge, too. Nothing impossible, but somewhat painful. You're probably better off just using a standard ColecoVision at that point.

I can't remember if it has SGM support... . Anyway, it's not the perfect machine, but it's fun nevertheless. It's a great living room item, I think, or something to bring along to family events.

• Like 2

A cartridge port would be more trouble than it's worth, I think. The voltages are different, so you'd need to account for that. I'm not 100% sure the system will handle non-compressed ROM "files", either. The memory addressing would be a bit of a challenge, too. Nothing impossible, but somewhat painful. You're probably better off just using a standard ColecoVision at that point.

This project is cool, but I think we'll ALL be better off if you manage to complete your CV replacement motherboard project. :)

I can't remember if it has SGM support... . Anyway, it's not the perfect machine, but it's fun nevertheless. It's a great living room item, I think, or something to bring along to family events.

No SGM support, but they did implement support for the MegaCart, as Princess Quest and Mecha-8 are MegaCart games.

• Like 2

I'm curious how these get flashed in production. Are the chips flashed before assembly, or is it flashed on the board? Anybody have any experience with manufacturing of this type of hardware?

In production, the chips are probably programmed before assembly... not 100% sure, though. The question is: is there a method to reprogram them later on, if required.

This project is cool, but I think we'll ALL be better off if you manage to complete your CV replacement motherboard project. :)

No SGM support, but they did implement support for the MegaCart, as Princess Quest and Mecha-8 are MegaCart games.

Someday. I think it'd be nice to have the replacement PCB installed into a Flashback case.

SGM/Megacart: thanks for the clarification.

In production, the chips are probably programmed before assembly... not 100% sure, though. The question is: is there a method to reprogram them later on, if required.

I've been under the impression that that was exactly what you did; specifically, I assumed you had desoldered the 2-MB NOR flash chip from the PCB, reprogrammed it, and then soldered it back in place. Is that not what you did?

By the way, was your earlier question about the Dollar General CV FB's CRC checksum value related to this? How did you manage to get the system to bypass that check with your different contents, anyway? Or did you just replace the stored value, which I guess would be stored in the ROM image itself, too, with your own? If that's what you did, did you also, hehe, update the stored compile date?

onmode-ky

I've been under the impression that that was exactly what you did; specifically, I assumed you had desoldered the 2-MB NOR flash chip from the PCB, reprogrammed it, and then soldered it back in place. Is that not what you did?

By the way, was your earlier question about the Dollar General CV FB's CRC checksum value related to this? How did you manage to get the system to bypass that check with your different contents, anyway? Or did you just replace the stored value, which I guess would be stored in the ROM image itself, too, with your own? If that's what you did, did you also, hehe, update the stored compile date?

onmode-ky

Yes, I desoldered the ROM chip, and resoldered another, pre-programmed chip (could have re-used the original).

Yes, my earlier question regarding the DG-FB checksum was related to this. I removed the chip before looking for the CRC. I did not bypass the checksum. If the checksum is incorrect, the unit will not work. I replaced the stored value with a new value. I did not adjust the date. For "final" versions I'll remember to do this. Most of that test page is all "strings", so pretty much any of the text on that page can be adjusted.

• 1 month later...

So one thing I have wondered about the Colecovision Flashback is if it supports hardware sprite collision detection. I know that Qbert uses the hardware sprite collision and saw that you plugged that into your hack, can you give it a spin and let us know?

I'll try to remember to give this a try.

Here's a few pictures of my hacked ColecoVision Flashback...

How is the compatibility for the ROMs you've tried since your first post? I know a lot of folks, including myself, would have liked to have seen more of the "top tier" games included. I would assume games were left out because of copyright/trademark concerns, but maybe some games weren't included simply because of compatibility issues.

How is the compatibility for the ROMs you've tried since your first post? I know a lot of folks, including myself, would have liked to have seen more of the "top tier" games included. I would assume games were left out because of copyright/trademark concerns, but maybe some games weren't included simply because of compatibility issues.

I've started each game, but most of them I've only played for a minute, and many of them only for a few seconds. I'll try to find a bit more time to try them all. Embarrassingly, I don't know how to play some of them. What I did try to do, though, is select games that weren't on the original, and that were highly rated.

Not that it does me any good to know, I suppose; I don't have the skills or the equipment to make that change myself. It would be interesting, though, to know if games that didn't make the cut this time will run on an FB2, assuming the licensing is in order.

So one thing I have wondered about the Colecovision Flashback is if it supports hardware sprite collision detection. I know that Qbert uses the hardware sprite collision and saw that you plugged that into your hack, can you give it a spin and let us know?

Q-bert seems to work fine. I also retested the first 30 of the games, and they seem fine. BC's Quest for Tires was very slow in the first stage, but maybe it's like that anyway.

If you could have an upgraded CoiecoVision Flashback, what games would you like to see, besides the old classics that are available on cartridge. I'm thinking of games such as Matt Patrol and Joust, to name a couple, but I'm sure there are more that would qualify. Also, which of the homebrews already on the Flashback would you definitely keep?

• Like 1