IGNORED

New Demo: AD:6502 - Arsantica 2 for 128k machines

Heaven/TQA

we presented yesterday (or better tonight) our latest demo for PAL machines with 128kb ram (RAM expansion must be set to XE compatible mode due to separate ANTIC / CPU access), STEREO.

Code: Heaven, Popmilo, Oswald

Graphics: Alien, Bokanoid, Hammerfist

Music: Triace

video of the compo edition:

dsr_ad6502_arsantica2_compo_SV14.zip

post-528-0-78370100-1417939194_thumb.png

post-528-0-08055200-1417939202_thumb.png

post-528-0-77861000-1417939209_thumb.png

post-528-0-23621700-1417939218_thumb.png

post-528-0-50763800-1417939223_thumb.png

post-528-0-29539700-1417939229_thumb.png

post-528-0-58042000-1417939233_thumb.png

post-528-0-32220300-1417939239_thumb.png

post-528-0-08112800-1417939300_thumb.png

post-528-0-93327400-1417939305_thumb.png

post-528-0-36070600-1417939312_thumb.png

post-528-0-07067300-1417939321_thumb.png

post-528-0-51088400-1417939327_thumb.png

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 20

I watched this in an emulator (Altirra) and it was all fine.

Wow, gentlemen, that is a beautiful demo. I think that the favourite part for me was the sun, the rotation is amazing. Is it following some rules or are the frames pre-calculated?

The whole production is very good.

I didn't realise that it would become a series.

• Like 1

Very nice graphics and graphical FX.

Was there really no chance to do some more during loading sequences?

Arsantica had a better fluent presentation, and the change of sound styles, particular the "crash landing" part made the demo a good experience.

Or least there is much space to have a ArsantIIIca ;)

Set U1mb to 576kb and it works

not true :(

same garbage scrolling thru the screen as in the short video above and after that a black screen with no loading. I am using the SIO2SD (the mini version from the Greek - Sanstop?)

However, I watched your video and its cool :) I like the music in the last part and I envy you for being able to code the "Fractalus hills"

And one question: why weren't you guys using the Gr.8->Gr.10->Gr.15 mode (look at my current Avatar :)) for the the green alien right and text left screen? :)

interesting... we run the demo on several 128k and 576kb machines and the glitches disappeared... hmmm... maybe XXL and Philsan can send some light... :) I am in 130XE compatibility mode (my target machine was a stock 130xe).

but thanks for the feedback. will look into it for the "final" non-compo edition.

the Alien with text appears while loading so this screen needs to be low-DLI usages.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1

As I said... You need 100% compatible RAM Expansion

Works pretty good on stock 130XE, NTSC. The final vertical credits don't work, just blank black screen.

It does work NTSC for the second ATR, just no final credits.

I also tried PAL Antic and GTIA, but that didn't come out real good, it did sorta do the final credits.

I compare to what I see in Altirra.

Fantastic!

Edited by russg

not true :(

same garbage scrolling thru the screen as in the short video above and after that a black screen with no loading. I am using the SIO2SD (the mini version from the Greek - Sanstop?)

Demo runs perfectly with my

- PAL 800XL equipped with Candle's Ultimate 1MB if I set memory to 576 Compy and with Wolfram's stereo upgrade

- PAL 130XE (stock)

Storage device is Santosp SIO2SD.

@Heaven

You'll do further updates on the demo?

Have a closer look at the rotating planet. Those dark squares around the animation. Couldn't they get changed to fit more to the background?

You know, a bright part of the planet , overlayed with the flare of the sun, won't usually result in a black range.

@Heaven

You'll do further updates on the demo?

Have a closer look at the rotating planet. Those dark squares around the animation. Couldn't they get changed to fit more to the background?

Exactly what I suggested when I tested the demo! But it was too late to make changes.

It's on my list for the final. I had it implemented but the code generator broke and I needed the time to finish the rest first. First I thought it is a 5 min work but it would take more in the end.

Basicly it is already in the code on PC.

It's just a case of proper masking.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 3

Demo runs perfectly with my

- PAL 800XL equipped with Candle's Ultimate 1MB if I set memory to 576 Compy and with Wolfram's stereo upgrade

- PAL 130XE (stock)

Storage device is Santosp SIO2SD.

Thanks for the post. I gave it another try. I had set the OS to "QMeg" I have now tried it with "Stock OS" and the loading works now.

However, the gfx glitch (looks like two or three lines of ANTIC 4 with an '!') still there.

I can test other settings tomorrow, I have lots of time. One advantage when being unemployed :)

@Heaven: Now I see the blinking LED and I understand that it would be difficult to do the scan line splitting :)

And it looks much better on my CRT TV. But that's a given. The gfx for our upcoming game look incredible awesome on the TV and "meh" on the emulator :(

EDIT:

I have the Turbo Freezer 2011 plugged in. Although I cannot imagine if that has something to do with the glitch.

Edited by Creature XL

It does not work from HDD. Hallo? 1979 called, they want their production back. FYI, the PBI has been around since 1984 (30 years), and cheap HDD interfaces have been available since at least 1994 (20 years now). Finally fix or replace that lame loader you are using.

Like c64 scene... ;) stock hardware... It uses xBios so in theory should work... Need to talk to XXL for that... And aim was to release on real 5,25 disc and plain 1050... See first text appearing while booting. And I kick OS and DOS... ;) and next complain will be using illegal opcodes on 65816 machines.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 2

Well done Karolj! :thumbsup: Great to see it come together after your discussions at fw whilst working on it. Good to see xbios being used too :) I don't have my real hw setup at the moment to comment about the discussion above but I'm sure it'll be trivial. Thanks for the greets.