IGNORED

WIP: GNP #1002

Tarzilla

#1002 is inspired by a very simple game I never thought I'd like, but as a former Gorf Arcade owner, this game's sounds are exactly like Gorf, and I ended up playing it way too much last month (in M.A.M.E.,) strangely addicted to hearing the Gorfian sound effects.

post-38229-0-96746400-1418185754_thumb.png

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9692

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdkbl4K6aM

Now this game is real simple, but I see lots of room for enhancement way beyond the original endless twitch play mechanic.

Introducing:

Star Fortress Orion:

<Click to Animate>

post-38229-0-29495000-1418184455_thumb.gif

Battle across multiple star systems, fighting off wave after wave of aliens attackers, each wave different. Choose which star system to defend, each one randomized each time you play, knowing you may be over matched and have to flee to a different, hopefully easier one to gain a more powerful ship before you can beat it.

Instead of your fortress being destroyed by one hit, it now takes damage. Completing a wave will give you an opportunity to repair damaged sections. Progressing deeper into the game will allow you to gain a shield around your fortress providing an extra layer of protection. Rare Gravity Bombs will allow you to destroy all enemies at once in case of an emergency, but at a cost.

To Do:

Add diagonal firing for certain levels. (Maybe, I might not get around to this...)

Finish designing new aliens

Add Challenging Stage ala Galaga

Add final Boss Battle against the Alien Mothership

Possibly add a second Constellation after Orion is complete.

Add sound, will probably not sound like the arcade because I'm not an expert enough in that yet.

• Like 11

I hope you figure out a way to include this game's over the top, absolutely humongous explosion, as it is great in the arcade game, and spectacular on the Astrocade!

Love the name Orion, also.

I have a desktop picture of the constellation that I photographed, with folders named those stars pointing them out.

Edited by iesposta

I hope you figure out a way to include this game's over the top, absolutely humongous explosion, as it is great in the arcade game, and spectacular on the Astrocade!Love the name Orion, also.I have a desktop picture of the constellation that I photographed, with folders named those stars pointing them out.

That's funny, I never stumbled across the Astrocade version while doing research. I'm impressed with the accuracy.

The explosion will be a bit of challenge due to the nature of the background tiles, but I do have ideas on how to include some form of the explosion.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

To Do:

Add diagonal firing for certain levels. (Maybe, I might not get around to this...)

I like all your ideas... even diagonal firing. Given that, please don't actually implement the ability to fire diagonally. If your game is anything like the original "Space Zap," then it will certainly be difficult enough to fire in just the four cardinal directions as the game progresses in difficulty. I imagine it would be awfully frustrating hitting those diagonal directions with the joystick with the split-second timing required to hit the enemies.

This reminds me to the mini game in Dantes Inferne if you redeem NPCs.

Wow! I never read the Divine Comedy because I thought it would be long and boring. I didn't know it was interactive and had mini games in it! :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Agree!! Would like to see this finished and polished with all the updates mentioned in the first post. Space Zap by itself gets a little old fairly quick, but the added elements above would make it a much more compelling game IMO.

I had the arcade machine for several years in my collection. Beautiful cabinet and control panel, with the big yellow buttons. Played extremely well and is a fun drinking game actually. Used it as a booze barometer of sorts. :lol:

• Like 2