IGNORED

Aquarius issue...bad RAM?

BassGuitari

Short version: the Aquarius keeps "holding down" the A and 1 keys. It makes BASIC almost unusable, and it interferes with game controller usage with the Mini-Expander. A diagnostic check with the Aquaricart indicates bad RAM, and I suspect that's also preventing my 16K RAM cart from being read (unless I just have a bad 16K cart, which would suck).

Is there a workable solution to this apart from replacing RAM chips? If they're socketed (IIRC they're not) it wouldn't be problem, but if came down to de/soldering I'd just get another Aquarius. Last thing I need is another project.

Thanks! :)

The Mini Expander Diagnostic in the Aquaricart only tests the expanded RAM, not the 4K of onboard RAM. So, if the RAM diagnostic is failing, it's almost certainly a problem with the 16K module. Does the keyboard function normally without the RAM module installed?

The keyboard issue could also be caused by dirty contacts. It's fairly easy to open the Aquarius and unplug the keyboard cable; the fingers at the end of the cable can then be cleaned with a cotton swap dipped in isopropyl alcohol. I've had to clean a few Aquarius keyboards to get them working again. While you're at it, you might as well try cleaning the card edge fingers inside the 16K module, too.

• Like 1

The Mini Expander Diagnostic in the Aquaricart only tests the expanded RAM, not the 4K of onboard RAM. So, if the RAM diagnostic is failing, it's almost certainly a problem with the 16K module. Does the keyboard function normally without the RAM module installed?

The keyboard issue could also be caused by dirty contacts. It's fairly easy to open the Aquarius and unplug the keyboard cable, and the fingers at the end of the cable can be cleaned with a cotton swap dipped in rubbing alcohol. I've had to clean a few Aquarius keyboards because of dirty contacts.

Bummer about the 16K cart. Even without the RAM cart it acts wacky. I mean, the keyboard itself works fine -- all keys respond as they should -- but even if I don't touch the machine it'll start spitting out a bunch of As and 1s.

I originally thought it was a dirty keyboard and opened it up and cleaned it, but obviously that didn't solve it. :-D