IGNORED

Is an Atari Jaguar worth owning?

TaskenLander

If your not sure any 'retro' system is for you, or just want to see why it gets such 'mixed press', maybe it'd be worth attending a Retro event, if possible where system in question is on display and try a few of the games and get a 'feel' for it yourself?.

After all, it's your money that'll be going on it.People like myself can only advise from our own personal tastes.I would'nt pick up another Jaguar just to re-play the games i bought/loved years ago, as i fear AVP has aged badly, i've got enough of a Tempest fix with Tempest X on PS1, ditto Iron Solider , FPS and Syndicate 'fixes' i can get on PS1 with Syndicate Wars, I.S III and 2 lots of Doom, plus Quake 2...
All i can go with is a cliched answer:It really is best to try before you buy, espically given prices of Jaguar stuff these days.

Unless you absolutely know what you want out of it, I can't see anyone recommending the Jaguar for casual consumption. It's too costly and has too few quality titles to make it a casual piece of a collection. If, on the other hand, you can identify a sufficient number of games in its modest library that you think you'd genuinely enjoy, then certainly it's as worth it as anything else that meets that definition.

I started collecting for the Jaguar since it went on closeout in the late 90s, but I can identify a few things I'd absolutely want if I were getting it new (from scratch) today:

- The base console

- A pro controller

- Wolfenstein 3D

- Tempest 2000

- A rotary controller for Tempest 2000

- At minimum, an S-video cable, but preferably at least a SCART cable

All the other stuff I have as part of my collection, I could personally do without if I had to. Considering the relative cost of the above - probably starting in the $250+ range at best and going up from there - that's a significant relative investment for what amounts to two games. I'd probably be willing to do it, though. If you can come up with a similar cost analysis and think you have a reasonable chance of scoring your must-have-items-to-make-it-worth-it, then by all means, go for it.

• Like 1

Sadly Tempest X3 looks nice but is inferior to the Jaguar version of Tempest 2000.

How so? It looks (and plays) pretty nice, to me. Any collector of multiple systems (there are many here, with hundreds-upon-hundreds of games owned) would still be handily (and cheaply!) served by Tempest X3. Besides, I'm not going to build or frame my entire videogame experience around Tempest (in any form), in the first place.

All I mean is that you can take a $10 thrift-store PS1, a $6.29 (shipped, mind you) mouse such as this one - eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1711820446741?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=171182044674&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] - and a $10 Tempest X3 PS1 game - and get pretty much the same thing on the cheap, not to mention all the rest of the PS1 benefits. The only reason I didn't mention the Saturn's Tempest 2000 (I'm sure you'll find it inferior, but I have it too, and it's still great) is because Saturn stuff is more rare and expensive than $10 thrift store PS1, and doesn't offer the $6.29 analog control option. :)

It depends on the games you like and the cost it takes to get the system. Personally the Jag is a personal favorite (not to say it's a top ten, since I have a lot of personal "favorites") and it's one I come back to much more frequently than other unpopular/unsuccessful systems. Perhaps the solid ports of Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM are a part of that because those are some of my all-time favorite games on the PC, but there are quite a few other Jag games I dig as well. Of the library of 50-ish games, there are at least 10 I really like, probably another 15 I enjoy, and that's more than enough games I enjoy to warrant me owning a system. The only problem with the Jaguar these days is the cost of entry. $100+ for a system? Eh.. It's tough to recommend at that point. Not because I find it's bad or not worth the money (I just bought a NIB from Best which wasn't cheap, but it was worth it to me because I've already gotten my money's worth out of it by playing it), but peoples' tastes are so varying and in many cases absurdly finicky, so I can't recommend the platform based on that. There are a lot of variables on whether one will think the Jaguar is worth it, from the controller, to the game library, to the styles of games present, etc., etc. It's not as cut and dry as something popular like a PlayStation or SNES.

All I mean is that you can take a $10 thrift-store PS1, a $6.29 (shipped, mind you) mouse such as this one - eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1711820446741?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=171182044674&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] - and a $10 Tempest X3 PS1 game - and get pretty much the same thing on the cheap, not to mention all the rest of the PS1 benefits. The only reason I didn't mention the Saturn's Tempest 2000 (I'm sure you'll find it inferior, but I have it too, and it's still great) is because Saturn stuff is more rare and expensive than $10 thrift store PS1, and doesn't offer the $6.29 analog control option. :)

I agree, if a nice Tempest is all you're after Tempest x3 offers a fine version. I'm just a snob when it comes to Tempest 2000 ;) Tempest X3 is a fun game but the AI robot power-up has it's 'brain' removed and your powered-up shot hass the same power as your non-powered up shot which changes the difficulty curve quite a bit compared to T2K. Also, I feel the spinner controls really boost the Jag version over the others (I own the saturn, jag, ps1 and pc versions).

• Like 2

Or is it only for completest / as a 'curiosity piece'? Do any games make it truly worth owning?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Well, I really enjoy playing it... but honestly, it's very expensive for someone to get into at this point unless they really desire to own one.

There are some good and fun games for it, many of them cheap... but if I had a house fire and lost everything, I would probably not start my Jaguar collection over again.

I agree, if a nice Tempest is all you're after Tempest x3 offers a fine version. I'm just a snob when it comes to Tempest 2000 ;) Tempest X3 is a fun game but the AI robot power-up has it's 'brain' removed and your powered-up shot hass the same power as your non-powered up shot which changes the difficulty curve quite a bit compared to T2K. Also, I feel the spinner controls really boost the Jag version over the others (I own the saturn, jag, ps1 and pc versions).

It's interesting to think of where the aftermarket/affection for the Jaguar would be if there was no rotary controller support in Tempest 2000 or even a Tempest 2000 at all. That's obviously the Jaguar's most important title by far. I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I can't think of very many other systems so reliant on one specific title (and a specific feature that wasn't even supported by anything when it was a retail product) like that for so much of its latter day affection.

• Like 3

Tempest 2000 question then:

Is it the fact that Tempest 2000 simply delivered the goods as it were (combined with the fact it was custom made for Jaguar hardware and thus hard to replicate when converted to Saturn) that makes it so special....or fact that later attempts at replicating it's wonder (Typhoon on PC, Tempest X on PS1, Tempest 3000 on Nuon etc) have simply failed to equal it, let alone better it?.

Basically IF Jeff sat down and out did Tempest 2000 say on PS4 with Tempest 4000, would Tempest 2000 still hold it's own and thus make the Jaguar the must have system it still is today for many, to this day, just to play it?.

Yes it's worth owning. I will always have it even if I only play T2k and Defender 2K. Atleast Defender 2K is exclusive to the system.

Any system that has one game I want to play is worth owning. From a collecting point of view, the Jaguar has been very fun, probably the funnest, to collect for all these years.

Tempest 2000 question then:

Is it the fact that Tempest 2000 simply delivered the goods as it were (combined with the fact it was custom made for Jaguar hardware and thus hard to replicate when converted to Saturn) that makes it so special....or fact that later attempts at replicating it's wonder (Typhoon on PC, Tempest X on PS1, Tempest 3000 on Nuon etc) have simply failed to equal it, let alone better it?.

Basically IF Jeff sat down and out did Tempest 2000 say on PS4 with Tempest 4000, would Tempest 2000 still hold it's own and thus make the Jaguar the must have system it still is today for many, to this day, just to play it?.

It can easily be bettered, but the catch is that without a rotary controller/spinner, it still wouldn't be ideal. That's one advantage the Jaguar version will likely always have.

Cheers Bill.

My thinking is, even IF JEff did sit down and code PS4 Tempest 4000 (i'd have the 1 bloody reason i needed to upgrade to a PS4 :-) ), it'd be PSN only type release and thus cat in hells chance of any type of rotary controller/spinner controllers being released for it.

Bugger this industry...

I cannot move for TAT being bundled in 'Special Edition' versions of games, but i'll never see the likes of this.

It's enough to wave my fist at the TV in an utterly futile manner....

Or is it only for completest / as a 'curiosity piece'? Do any games make it truly worth owning?

You betcha! Haven't you heard? Highlander, the Last of the MacLeods even makes the CD attachment a MUST have! :rolling:

post-13896-0-70603100-1418422633_thumb.jpg

….seriously, the system *is* cool for what it is. If you're a big fan of Atari and enjoy the occasional different and quirky game, then yes - Jaguar can be very rewarding that way. Totally depends on what kind of gamer you are of course, expectations and all that.

• Like 1

You betcha! Haven't you heard? Highlander, the Last of the MacLeods even makes the CD attachment a MUST have! :rolling:

attachicon.gifjaghigh.jpg

Somebody on Facebook was actually trying to say it was a good game just the other day. I usually don't like to get into good/bad debates with someone since game preferences are highly subjective, but I think I would be forgiven by a jury of my peers in that particular case... ;-)

• Like 1