IGNORED

Looks like my FDC is faulty. How can I test? - NOW WORKING

wyerd

I'm up and running finally!!!!! 80 track EPROMs & the Lotharek HxC installed. Just reading Omega's thread on the device and loaded the Starter.HFE image. SUCCESS!!!

IMG_1172.JPG

Thanks to everyone for all their help, especially Gazoo & Atrax27407. Its been a bit of a bumpy road, but I learnt a lot on the way and I finally made it. Now to learn about disk images and how to convert from DSK to HFE and vice-versa.

One thing I'm not sure about is how to I create an 80 track image?

Edited by wyerd
  • Like 1

I'm up and running finally!!!!! 80 track EPROMs & the Lotharek HxC installed.

One thing I'm not sure about is how to I create an 80 track image?

CONGRATULATIONS!

Making the 80 track disks is now simple (with Ti99Dir).

Just follow these easy steps.

1) Load the program

2) Click on FILES

3) Select "Create new DSK image"

4) Choose the DSSD 80 track option, give it a name and thats it.

Now you can convert it to an HFE, make multiple copies and populate your Lotharek. :)

• Like 1

Lesson learnt - RTFM, especially where it says "....better success with these sockets when they are not quite all the way in when soldering, about the thickness of two sheets of paper above the board."

The solder side looked OK :-

img_1168.jpg

However, the socket side was a different story as I had pushed the socket all the way in. Doing so increased the possibility of a solder run and bridging, the former in my case looking at the suspects circled here. Thanks Gazoo for suggesting that this may be the issue.

img_1170.jpg

Once these runs were removed and a new socket soldered into place as described by the instructions, the controller card worked, much to my relief. I do have another card that I attempted the mod originally, but it displayed different symptoms, so there may be a different underlying issue. I'll revisit this one at some other date as I now want to enjoy using the equipment.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this.

I do have a follow-up question - is there anything I need to do to get a 3.5" FDD working in conjunction with the HxC which has the dip switches set to two devices?

• Like 2

Update to my last question:-

The 3.5" drive I want to add as DSK3 is a Sony MPF920 (around $8 on eBay) which doesn't have any drive select switches as it was aimed at the PC market. However, on the drive PCB, there is a 0 Ohm resistor which is set to SEL 1, This can be removed and another 0 Ohm resistor or wire can then be bridged across SEL 0. This solution wouldn't work in my case as I already have the Lotharek HxC set to DS0 (DSK1) and DS1 (DSK2), so I needed another way. I could buy another drive with drive more select switches, but then I found this on Mainbyte (Yes, why didn't I look there in the first place?!?!) http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/cables/35drive.html

Removing the wire to pin 12 and switching the pin 14 wire to pin 12 of the end of the straight floppy drive cable gave me the result I wanted.

img_1175.jpg

• Like 3

• 8 years later...