IGNORED

Next Gen consoles, which one's the best?

Video

Or maybe I should say, which one sucks the least LOL.

In another couple of months it'll be tax season and I thought I might get a new console, but so far, they have all be less than well, mediocre honestly.

Xbox one, eh, seems microsoft has gotten to far away from the games, and hell, even the 360 has to be updated every other day or so,how bad is this going to be on the one? I don't want a kinect, and don't really like the idea of online only and games locked on a console, yeah, "but they changed that" but what peopole say first tends to be the truth, even when they fuck up. How long before the switch gets flipped? Also...I think you HAVE to use your 360's profile, I'd rather NOT have yet another linked system with games I'll never play clogging up the whole gamescore system (why can't I delete games I tried and had no interest in, seriously, why? and why the F(censor) are games on the computer on there, as far as I'm aware, I NEVER linked xbox to anything on my computer) Can't have a seperate profile, and a chunk of system memory is still locked away for features I will NEVER use. Maybe it'll be OK, but to be honest, flip flopping right off the bat is just a bad omen as far as I'm concerned.

Wii U Oh, Ok. Comeon, outside of the initial hype, did anybody like the wii? I liked a total of two games on there, both mario titles, the sports titles were an OK diversion until real games came out, but me and my friends lost interest in those too. The only real saving grace was BC with the cube, but hey, I already have a cube, and the ONE most used feature on there, isn't supported on the wii (gameboy player) The Wii U is just an extension of that I'd like to get Mario and Luigi games, but I cna't help but think that I'd get the system, play it a very short time, be underwelmed by the touch pad thing, annoyed by most of the games yet again not supporting a perfectly good real controller, and the thing just sitting in the closet no more than two months in of owning one (just like the wii) It's to bad, Nintendo has the games I like, but the console actively prevents good third party games from being ported to it. Maybe there's some saving grace, but honestly, I didn't like the gamecube, felt burned by the wii, and honestly, this will just probably be more of the same.

PS4, well, this one seems to be the most intent on being a game console, without a bunch of bullshit and gimmicks attached to it. Still, while they have almost always had a "technically" superior console, they almost never showed it, third parties never knew what to do with it. Never had a PS3 so I don't know what the "patch" scene is like on there. I never did like Sony's controller, always felt to small, but I could live with it, if I could get it wired They have no first party games I'm interested in, so it would be exclusively third party making them float, but...I could get third party anywhere. I have no experience with their online network, how well it's supported, how stable it is, though I've heard they don't have crosstalk, and I love that on xbox.

None of the current gen will play previous system games (though I guess that might be better than xbox's half assed BC on the 360) Only Nintendo has good first party games, but I feel I'd be left flapping in the breeze so to speak. I'm not really interested in online gaming for the most part, but some can be fun, but Nintendo seems to be missing the component that makes it worth while (online chat) in it's entirety. Hell, from what I've heard, none of the current gen can even play DVD or CD (why? Just why?) They are ALL massively overpriced, but that started last gen I believe. (there have always been overpriced systems, but most hovered at the $200 mark)

Anyhow, so, discussions? All of the systems are a year old or more at this point, and to be honest, as of yet, I haven't seen a relevant reason for any of them to exist. Nintendo seems to be the least "screw you in the ass" of the bunch. Microsoft seems to do the best online, though they have abandoned all their IP's outside of halo that's just been dumbed down to "yet another me too call of duty wannabe" And sony, I haven't had any experience with the last gen, they appear the most well rounded, but I literally know nothing about the PS3, to heck with the four.

What's everybody's thoughts so far?

Where software is concerned, the Wii U is beyond a shadow of doubt the best choice at this time and likely will remain so for a while yet.

Most of the appeal of the PS4 and the XB1 a year into their lifespan remains their future potential. So unless one just wants to purchase a single console this generation or lacks a PS3 and/or 360, now is definitely the time to enjoy the Wii U and its solid catalog of exclusives while Sony and Microsoft continue to build up steam.

Most of the "next gen" experience on those two is just slightly prettied up versions of 360/PS3 content.

None of the current gen will play previous system games (though I guess that might be better than xbox's half assed BC on the 360)

Wii U has full Wii backwards compatibility.

Hell, from what I've heard, none of the current gen can even play DVD or CD (why? Just why?)

Both the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 play DVDs.

Xbox One also has audio CD support while the feature is confirmed as a future addition for the PS4. Likely, they wanted to escape a licensing fee for a feature they didn't think was that important these days until the fans spoke up. And it remains to be seen if Sony will follow through or was just placating people until the criticism died down.

Wii U lacks CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray support to avoid paying licensing fees for features that are commonplace and already available in the home's of their customers.

It's to bad, Nintendo has the games I like, but the console actively prevents good third party games from being ported to it.

As most anyone could've told you even before it was announced, only buy this system if you want to experience the 1st party exclusives. It obviously was destined to not be the place to go for 3rd party content.

The Wii U is just an extension of that I'd like to get Mario and Luigi games, but I cna't help but think that I'd get the system, play it a very short time, be underwelmed by the touch pad thing, annoyed by most of the games yet again not supporting a perfectly good real controller, and the thing just sitting in the closet no more than two months in of owning one (just like the wii)

The Wii U gamepad is essentially a standard controller. Look past the touch screen and you'll see that every facet of a modern console controller is present and laid out in a fairly conventional manner. About the only non-standard feature here are the digital triggers and frankly for a console that was unlikely to ever thrive with quality simcade racers, it's probably for the best in other styles of games.

And the Wii U Pro Controller is conventional in every regard and has a high degree of support on the Wii U with the bulk of the quality releases (And the entire Virtual Console) supporting it.

It may have that touch screen, but it's not shoving it down our throats like motion was early in the Wii's lifespan. The only controller annoyance on the Wii U of note is the inability for the Wii U gamepad or Pro Controller to substitute as a Wii Classic Controller in BC mode.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Wii U Oh, Ok. Comeon, outside of the initial hype, did anybody like the wii? I liked a total of two games on there, both mario titles

Um.. yeah, the Wii has a lot of excellent games. You should do some research on it, it sounds like you missed out on a lot of good titles.

• Like 5

It all depends on the games you may want to play at some point so with that in mind, these are my thoughts, take them however you will:

Xbox One

I just picked up an Xbox One and I'm somewhat underwhelmed, I agree with what some said about the 360 is actually "better" (other than graphics and horsepower). But keep in mind it's an almost impossible task to beat the Xbox 360 and what it accomplished. I just don't prefer the Xbox One's Windows 8 interface but the controller and Games for Gold is nice. The machine is rather bulky compared to the other two, it's like a SFF desktop with a large power brick. If your a PC gamer then the games on this console are severely lacking, the Halo series is something I love dearly but other than MS published games like Forza and Halo, most games will get ported to PC including current games Ryse and Dead Rising. Also, if a game is available on multiple consoles, I'll always pick the PS4 version. Unless they get more exclusive game support, this will come second or third for me in the long run but I'm pretty confident things will improve. Stock Watch: Stable.

PS4

Obviously I'm going to pick a PS4 over all three but before the PSXperience convention thing it was just barely. After watching the show I'm all in. Mainly because of the announcements (Persona 5, the horror game Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Day of the Tentacle, Uncharted 4 etc.). Indie support is incredible (which I like). Console dashboard is much more simplistic over the XBox One but maybe it's TOO simple, at least you can pick custom themes now. Controller is not as good as I once thought but it's still much better than the PS3's. Still prefer an Xbox controller and I don't like that it can't play movie files off a USB. I am glad the internal drive is swappable rather than being forced to use an external drive like on the Xbox (just my preference). The focus clearly is that it's a game machine first. I like it and they did a good thing bringing in Atari alumn Cerny, Midway's Boyes and old time PS1 man Yoshida to run things now. Stock Watch: Rising

Wii U

Its good after an insanely slow start, sometimes it's the least used console around the house and other times it can be the most played because of the great first party Nintendo games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. It can play Wii games but its pointless if you have a homebrewed Wii lying around. The gamepad controller is also pointless since I own the pro controller and use that whenever I can. Just my opinion. I simply don't like to bother with the gamepad. Future seems pathetic but next year comes some huge games like Zelda and for me Xenoblade Chronicles, I also think Smash Brothers is the best version of the game thats ever been made. Nice. One sour note: Eshop is still locked to console and I still try not to buy anything from there. Stock Watch: Rising.

Again, depends on what you like to play. Xbox is great if you dont want to bother with PC. Playstation is cool too with a focus on gaming. Wii U is definitely worth it if your a Nintendo fan. Even though each console has faults I still think you'll be happy with one of them. As a computer gamer at heart, I still have to throw this bone in: Quoting a fine writer, "PC gaming is pretty much the best. You get the prettiest, cheapest, most flexible versions of almost every game, along with hundreds of games that aren't available anywhere else." :D

• Like 2

It can play Wii games but its pointless if you have a homebrewed Wii lying around.

It does offer some attractions though.

The Wii U will upscale (And deinterlace those games that are 480i only) possibly better than your HDTV or receiver's scaling chip would. And it does this while automatically stretching widescreen games to 16:9 proportions and pillarboxing 4:3 only games, an action that with the Wii required you to manually enable and disable your tv's stretch mode as appropriate.

And this doesn't mean much for anyone that has homebrewed their Wii, but an added benefit if you have a substantial library of purchased Virtual Console and WiiWare games is that you can transfer those over to a newer console that hopefully has significantly more life left in the hardware than a older Wii that may have seen hundreds of hours of use by this point.

And if one upgrades transferred Wii VC purchases to their Wii U versions for a small fee as they become available, you're also tying your old downloads to a newer online shop that will likely outlive the old Wii Shop (and gaining some other small benefits like save states and button remapping options in the process).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Again, depends on what you like to play. Xbox is great if you dont want to bother with PC. Playstation is cool too with a focus on gaming. Wii U is definitely worth it if your a Nintendo fan. Even though each console has faults I still think you'll be happy with one of them. As a computer gamer at heart, I still have to throw this bone in: Quoting a fine writer, "PC gaming is pretty much the best. You get the prettiest, cheapest, most flexible versions of almost every game, along with hundreds of games that aren't available anywhere else." :D

Yeah, if you don't have a decent PC gaming rig I would seriously consider doing that. I love my WiiU, but I don't play it a whole lot. When I do, I use the gamepad screen instead of hooking it up to a hdmi source. It is a great plus though since I can just hook it up to an outlet and store it at the corner of my room. It does have a lot of great exclusive games, but I love to play on my PC more because of the mods, control flexibility, 3D support, and really unique games that aren't available on any console.

Edited by xenomorpher

Quoting a fine writer, "PC gaming is pretty much the best. You get the prettiest, cheapest, most flexible versions of almost every game, along with hundreds of games that aren't available anywhere else." :D

Yeah after building my gaming PC I can't see why anyone would take a console over a PC.I mean besides exclusives,every other game is on PC CHEAPER with MUCH higher FPS,Better graphics,and MODS plus hundreds of games not on consoles,This does not mean I hate consoles as I can still play on a console very much so but a PC is where it's at.

I'm waiting for Alien Isolation on PC through a Steam sale. I'll get the console version if it's on sale or if I want a physical copy...or if the PC version requires another client that I don't like for example Origin or Uplay. If it's not through GOG, Steam, Desura or a proven source like Humble Bundle I will end up getting the game on a console but yeah I definitely think about the PC version first.

The Wii U will upscale (And deinterlace those games that are 480i only) possibly better than your HDTV or receiver's scaling chip would.

True, forgot about that. We still play a few games through the Wii U but having a homebrewed Wii around with Gamecube support can't be beat IMO. So I'd still say its a nice feature to support the Wii on the Wii U but for a small group like me, it's nice but unnecessary. Actually I think by now people have homebrewed the Wii on the Wii U so maybe it's all good. :P

I'm waiting for Alien Isolation on PC through a Steam sale. I'll get the console version if it's on sale or if I want a physical copy...or if the PC version requires another client that I don't like for example Origin or Uplay. If it's not through GOG, Steam, Desura or a proven source like Humble Bundle I will end up getting the game on a console but yeah I definitely think about the PC version first.

True, forgot about that. We still play a few games through the Wii U but having a homebrewed Wii around with Gamecube support can't be beat IMO. So I'd still say its a nice feature to support the Wii on the Wii U but for a small group like me, it's nice but unnecessary. Actually I think by now people have homebrewed the Wii on the Wii U so maybe it's all good. :P

I used the Smash Stack exploit in SSB:Brawl, I think, to add the homebrew channel to the vWii mode. It works well but I find the multiple controllers that setup brings on a little annoying.

• Like 1

Those looking for games on the XBOX ONE, I'll say that Sunset Overdrive has been the most fun I've had in a while. Sites keep talking about Halo, Assassins Creed, and other typical "AAA" titles, but SO is, IMO, the best game on the system. It actually feels like a video game.

Yeah after building my gaming PC I can't see why anyone would take a console over a PC.I mean besides exclusives,every other game is on PC CHEAPER with MUCH higher FPS,Better graphics,and MODS plus hundreds of games not on consoles,This does not mean I hate consoles as I can still play on a console very much so but a PC is where it's at.

Yeah. I'm with you. I abandoned PC gaming for a number of years. I got a PS2 - Guitar Hero took up all my time. Then I moved onto the 360. In that time, PC gaming pretty much hit the buffers. There seemed to be very little new stuff coming out compared to the Xbox and PS3.

Now, I'm stoked about Elite: Dangerous coming out on Tuesday. Then we have Star Citizen (and maybe Elite as well if they continue to work on their wish list) pushing the boundaries of PC gaming. One of the attractions of the PC has been Massively Multiplayer Online Gaming, which you just don't get on the consoles. But that really, until now, only applied if you liked RPGs. I suspect that I'll now be primarily a PC gamer again, especially if I can get some well supported controllers. My PC is fairly up to date now so can handle anything thrown at it for a while.

So if the OP is willing to pay, $350 or whatever these things cost in the US, maybe he should widen his scope a bit and consider PC gaming instead.

Personally, for console gaming the 360 is enough for me. Still hundreds of games I haven't played on it.

Played a PS4 for the first time (brother has one now) and was a little underwhelmed. Played The Pinball Arcade and one of the Need For Speed's that didn't impress graphically at all. Granted, I didn't blow through a bunch of games making comparisons, but I think the PS3 is holding up pretty damned well considering it's age. Dollar for dollar especially.

• Like 1

Those looking for games on the XBOX ONE, I'll say that Sunset Overdrive has been the most fun I've had in a while. Sites keep talking about Halo, Assassins Creed, and other typical "AAA" titles, but SO is, IMO, the best game on the system. It actually feels like a video game.

Those guys made great games in the past...that will be the first game I get for Xbox One. Still holding off on Halo collection until everything is fixed.

Yeah, technically they are "current gen" but since most everybody I know of still plays PS3/360, I was calling them next gen.

Well, thanks for the info guys. Someone mentioned PC, yeah, but for $350 (or less, what the consoles will hit from the holidays till march/april next year), what kind of computer can you get? For the most part, when people ask about building gaming PC's it's almost always $1000 or so. Maybe PC's have cheapened a LOT since I was using one to play games, but I doubt it has gotten that low.....granted there are LOTS of games for cheap, or free on there that look interesting and can offset a lot of price, and I do have a few friends that I could play with on there. The few times you can get a game to work with a real controller, they are great, but I've never been a "mouse and keyboard" person (even back in the 64 days, but then, back then most games assumed you could use a controller and worked with them anyways)

One of my friends brought up the idea that Sony didn't require expensive first party parts (only thing I can think of would be the HDD, but can't the 360 have one hooked to it too? Not that I bothered with a second HDD anyways, games are saved on the HDD, and save data on a thumb drive, outside of that I don't need it.

Most of my friends will likely be getting the Xbox one, but honestly, to much if it is tied to the kinect, even if they now sell a version without it (3GB if I remember right) Don't know how much of the 8 GB the PS4 gets to use for games, but I assume they have some BS hogging some of it too. Wii's going to be basically about the games, but then, like I said, no third party. I love mario and mario kart, but haven't cared about metroid and zelda in ages. I own most of the consoles and AAA games over the years, so I won't be getting any virtual anything....not that I do downloadable anyways, only reason I do on 360 is it's supposedly "free" (attached to a service I was paying for anyways)

Yeah, technically they are "current gen" but since most everybody I know of still plays PS3/360, I was calling them next gen.

Well, thanks for the info guys. Someone mentioned PC, yeah, but for $350 (or less, what the consoles will hit from the holidays till march/april next year), what kind of computer can you get? For the most part, when people ask about building gaming PC's it's almost always $1000 or so. Maybe PC's have cheapened a LOT since I was using one to play games, but I doubt it has gotten that low.....granted there are LOTS of games for cheap, or free on there that look interesting and can offset a lot of price, and I do have a few friends that I could play with on there. The few times you can get a game to work with a real controller, they are great, but I've never been a "mouse and keyboard" person (even back in the 64 days, but then, back then most games assumed you could use a controller and worked with them anyways)

One of my friends brought up the idea that Sony didn't require expensive first party parts (only thing I can think of would be the HDD, but can't the 360 have one hooked to it too? Not that I bothered with a second HDD anyways, games are saved on the HDD, and save data on a thumb drive, outside of that I don't need it.

Most of my friends will likely be getting the Xbox one, but honestly, to much if it is tied to the kinect, even if they now sell a version without it (3GB if I remember right) Don't know how much of the 8 GB the PS4 gets to use for games, but I assume they have some BS hogging some of it too. Wii's going to be basically about the games, but then, like I said, no third party. I love mario and mario kart, but haven't cared about metroid and zelda in ages. I own most of the consoles and AAA games over the years, so I won't be getting any virtual anything....not that I do downloadable anyways, only reason I do on 360 is it's supposedly "free" (attached to a service I was paying for anyways)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7uR0vNixR8

A $400 gaming PC that run Battlefield 4(which just came out last year) on high settings at around 45-50 FPS,Crysis 3 on high at around 60-70 FPS and Bioshock Infinite on ULTRA at 61.4 FPS isn't bad at all as consoles are locked at 30FPS and this cheap gaming rig can get twice that and more on high/low settings.This link will tell you what you should expect out of this PC:http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1127

Have this PC automatically boot up Steam,hook this bad boy up to an HDTV and grab your favorite controller and you have the best gaming machine in your living room :cool: .I built this PC setup recently and it is AMAZING I tell you.Playing GTA 4 with an N64 controller is crazy fun!.Can't have setups like that on a console now can you ;)

Edited by TheObscureGamer
  • Like 3

I got my PC hooked up to a 42" LED with a wireless controller. (Wireless Keyboard and mouse nearby).

I haven't upgraded in almost 3 years and even new games still run great with my EVGA GTX 580 card. I have been thinking about upgrading but not yet, maybe not for another year or so. My cards a 3GB card and still runs everything really well.

• Like 1

Well, thanks for the info guys. Someone mentioned PC, yeah, but for $350 (or less, what the consoles will hit from the holidays till march/april next year), what kind of computer can you get?

One of the things I love about the PC is that both hardware and software is so vast that, no matter how old the specs are, there is always something you can do. I run a Linux PC with only 2GB RAM and a 2.8 Ghz CPU and, although I can't run the latest and greatest, I can still run Football Manager, Euro Truck Simulator and most of the indie library (not to mention open source, emulators and the odd game through Wine) which is enough for me.

• Like 1

Wii U Oh, Ok. Comeon, outside of the initial hype, did anybody like the wii? I liked a total of two games on there, both mario titles, the sports titles were an OK diversion until real games came out, but me and my friends lost interest in those too. The only real saving grace was BC with the cube, but hey, I already have a cube, and the ONE most used feature on there, isn't supported on the wii (gameboy player) The Wii U is just an extension of that I'd like to get Mario and Luigi games, but I cna't help but think that I'd get the system, play it a very short time, be underwelmed by the touch pad thing, annoyed by most of the games yet again not supporting a perfectly good real controller, and the thing just sitting in the closet no more than two months in of owning one (just like the wii) It's to bad, Nintendo has the games I like, but the console actively prevents good third party games from being ported to it. Maybe there's some saving grace, but honestly, I didn't like the gamecube, felt burned by the wii, and honestly, this will just probably be more of the same.

I couldn't disagree with you more concerning the Wii. For me it was the defining console of that generation with awesome games like Galaxy 1 & 2, Epic Yarn, DK and NSMW. I have never enjoyed a console more. And it's a killer emu machine too.

• Like 2

I'm going to chime in for the Wii as well. I absolutely enjoyed the system with the usual staple of games under Nintendo's wing (Mario, Kirby, etc.). Galaxy 1 and 2 alone made the system worthwhile to own and collect for. Perhaps it's time to get it again this holiday season with a few select titles.

• Like 2

Colecovision Flashback. :)

did anybody like the wii? I liked a total of two games on there
I loved the Wii - I had about 30 games for it at one point, only ONE of them was a "party game." It had its quirks, but it was a great system overall. I won a Wii U in a contest shortly after launch and sold it a week later. No interest. Edited by BydoEmpire

It all depends upon what games you want, ultimately. I'm not as big of a fan of the Wii U because it has few games that genuinely appeal to me (being only a minor Nintendo fan), and obviously there's not much going on third party-wise. My daughters have certainly gotten more use out of the platform than I have.

I play the Xbox One the most, partly because of the relative convenience of always being on and ready to go as long as my TV/cable box is on (the HDMI pass-through). The PS4 is definitely no slouch, though, and both that system and the Xbox One are great values if you get either PS+ or Xbox Live Gold for the "free" monthly games. Performance-wise, both the PS4 and Xbox One are also big steps up from the last gen systems in terms of speed of menus and system updates, as well as over the Wii U (though that has improved a bit over time). My biggest pet peeve with the Wii U is that digital game purchases are tied to a console, not an account, which is risky (and negates some of the benefit of the second Wii U I have), resulting in far fewer digital purchases from me than there would be otherwise. In fact, I try to keep a high percentage of my game purchases to digital these days - at least on the Xbox One and PS4 - for the extra convenience, only buying discs when there are significant sales or discounts. Regardless, there are pluses and minuses to all of the systems, but I think each one has a clear value proposition that may or may not appeal to you, but should also be more or less obvious.