IGNORED

The 2014 AtariAge Holiday Greeting Cart Is Here!

Albert

Slightly off topic, but given the discussion of modern tv's and old games, I've found the Sharp Quatro to be a pretty nice one. When you put it in GAME mode, it even blurs things back to smooth hue. For instance, the fireballs on SF2 look like they would on a CRT instead of the lines they become on a regular LCD.

I didn't notice any lag when in game mode, either.

Looks like your PF85U is a 1080p projector. The following happens when receiving/showing a signal:

1080p in = image can be shown as is (this is most likely what your Xbox and PC are sending)

720p in = must be resized to 1080p before being shown

composite = must be digitized to a 640x480 image, resized to a 1080p image, and finally it can be shown

An additional wrinkle with composite is the signal is assumed to be 480i (interlaced) at 60 fps. The digitizing process will merge two frames together in order to create a 480p signal at 30fps. That's fine for TV, but Classic video games systems output a 240p signal at 60fps. By assumign 480i, the merging of two frames still occurs, resulting in 30fps.

More derailing. Looks like one fix (not really a fix... improvement) for the above is to get Framemeister-mini or similar. It upscales your 240i or 480i image more efficiently than your display does, so less lag. It's not cheap - http://www.amazon.com/DP3913515-Framemeister-Micomsoft-Upscaler-Import/dp/B006H39XJS

Ok. I sat down and used the suggestions for level 9. I got through it and I'm working on level 10. The game is on so I go to pause with the B/W switch. (Not sure if that does it, but it was worth a try.) In my haste to get back to the game, I flipped the POWER switch! Aaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuggggggg!!!!!!

Ok. I sat down and used the suggestions for level 9. I got through it and I'm working on level 10. The game is on so I go to pause with the B/W switch. (Not sure if that does it, but it was worth a try.) In my haste to get back to the game, I flipped the POWER switch! Aaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuggggggg!!!!!!

Guess you get to practice Level 9 again! :D

..Al

• Like 3

Fire button will unpause.

• Like 1

That Display Lag site has a page about their Testing Method where they mention the ratings based on lag:

00-20ms = Excellent

21-41ms = Great

42-62ms = Okay

63+ms = Bad

So your projector goes from Extremely Bad to just Bad when turning on game mode.

We bought one of the lag testers for use at work, and I brought it home to test my HDTV. Mine hovered around 47ms. Not quite "great", but for 2007 model, not bad. As I was testing it - I did notice it still had some processing "features" still turned on, so I went through and shut those all off. The Atari 2600 looks noticeably better now.

One of the monitors we use for video editing at work was only 9ms. May have to try it out for gaming sometime, and see if my scores improve. ;)

We bought one of the lag testers for use at work, and I brought it home to test my HDTV. Mine hovered around 47ms. Not quite "great", but for 2007 model, not bad. As I was testing it - I did notice it still had some processing "features" still turned on, so I went through and shut those all off. The Atari 2600 looks noticeably better now.

One of the monitors we use for video editing at work was only 9ms. May have to try it out for gaming sometime, and see if my scores improve. ;)

Exactly why I suggested using a PC monitor for gaming... :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How is everybody else doing? Any other bonus rooms found?

I didn't order my copy at the beginning like everyone else did so I've only been getting in to it when time permits.

Playing late night, I did discover a second bonus room. It's actually not too hard to find, and may or may not be on a screen that you would suspect it to be on ;) Im guessing it may be the same for further levels of the game.

Another Hint… opposite of down is ?

Not sure what level it is, but haven't got past the big fire melter yet. I made a couple attempts at it with continuing, and I think I am on the right track.

One day a friend came by, and wanted to purchase my main darth vader that I play in the garage late nights. I have a Jr. to test out that I found at a garage sale, and plugged in my Sega Genesis controller to play Stay Frosty.

One thing I noticed playing on my Jr. is that if you are on your last life, and you die, I hold down the right directional d-pad button before the continue screen comes on. My frosty then drops from the top left of my screen and the score increases repeatedly until the 10 seconds are up. I am unable to exit stage right (snagglepuss) to continue the game and then Stay Frosty returns to Attract Mode.

I don't recall this occurring when playing on my Darth Vader model. Glitch? I have not found a way to continue when doing the controller trick this way. Tried exiting left… nada! Trapped!

My current high score, I'm sure I'll get 6 digits soon!

post-39247-0-68452400-1431331372_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

One thing I noticed playing on my Jr. is that if you are on your last life, and you die, I hold down the right directional d-pad button before the continue screen comes on. My frosty then drops from the top left of my screen and the score increases repeatedly until the 10 seconds are up. I am unable to exit stage right (snagglepuss) to continue the game and then Stay Frosty returns to Attract Mode.

I don't recall this occurring when playing on my Darth Vader model. Glitch? I have not found a way to continue when doing the controller trick this way. Tried exiting left… nada! Trapped!

Yep - it's a bug. I ran into it once after the game had shipped. Not sure if I triggered it the same way you did, since I couldn't make it happen again.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, not this year, but we'll have to see what happens next year. :)

..Al

:( Bummer, but understandable. You have been a busy boy this year.

- Thanks again for providing the community with all that classic gaming goodness, throughout this years various Expos.

• Like 1