IGNORED

Any way to use high-level language programming to make games?

koolaidpickle

Is there any tools available where you can use a high-level language to program for the 2600? I started making games with pygame (python+SDL) and was wondering if its possible to do this with any Atari system? If not, is it even possible for any retro system at all? It seems Dreamcast maybe but damnit...I dont want to do any low-level programming....Is there anything that resembles this set up which I have for my current game: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/66a485aeedaaf8f89d8c

Edited by koolaidpickle

BASIC is a high-level programming language.

Definately wouldnt mind using BASIC. Do you got an example of some code that demonstrates drawing an image to the screen and the game loop? I edited my post but this is the current game I am working on, im wondering in Batari Basic can be as easy? https://gist.github.com/anonymous/66a485aeedaaf8f89d8c

Edited by koolaidpickle

Is there any tools available where you can use a high-level language to program for the 2600? I started making games with pygame (python+SDL) and was wondering if its possible to do this with any Atari system? If not, is it even possible for any retro system at all? It seems Dreamcast maybe but damnit...I dont want to do any low-level programming....

Yes. batari Basic. Links in my signature were made with it.

Since it interprets and compiles your code to assembly language, it is much more than what "Basic" was on the home computers. I never completed an original game on the Atari 800XL with Basic or Action!, just entering others code. On the other hand, 2600 batari Basic was easy to learn and actually get something made.

To make really good use of the tool, I read all about what the 2600 hardware does.

It helps to know about background, Playfield, Players, missiles and ball and how primitive yet flexible what you can do with the hardware.

You don't have to know assembly, and you can make fun, replay able games within batari Basic's limitations.

Is there any tools available where you can use a high-level language to program for the 2600? I started making games with pygame (python+SDL) and was wondering if its possible to do this with any Atari system? If not, is it even possible for any retro system at all? It seems Dreamcast maybe but damnit...I dont want to do any low-level programming....Is there anything that resembles this set up which I have for my current game: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/66a485aeedaaf8f89d8c

koolaidpickle,

There is a way to make Assembly programming feel like high level programming for game development.

The free Abstract Assembly Development Kit lets you build scrolling tile mapped games with phantom hardware for a screen buffer and a virtual world buffer, a CAM object and high level graphical functions and a WYSIWYG sprite library and virtual world you can draw in the data statements.

High level coding isn't defined by the target language but rather by form/purpose; calling functions to set or check pixels and position sprites and calling a camera to display or pan the playfield is all high level.

• Like 1