IGNORED

Atari 400 48k upgrade causing problems

traindriver69

I'm beginning to wonder if this is PAL/50Hz related.

I'm in the UK too and bought the same kit from Best a couple of years ago. Once fitted, the RF/TV output went bad on my 400 as well. I just assumed I'd screwed up somewhere and put my 400 away as dead/unusable as I don't have the electronics knowledge to trouble-shoot something like this.

I'm reasonably competent with a soldering iron, so I'm convinced I've got everything where it should be with no splashes/bridges, etc.

I could remove the 48K kit but that'd leave me with a 16k 400 again. The RAM expansion works just fine - I'm able to load programs from my SDrive Nuxx which (IIRC) isn't possible in just 16K so I'd like to see someone come up with a solution/workaround to this. Because of the fragile keyboard cable, I'm not overly keen on constant disassembly of my 400.

As an extension of this "upgrade" project, I also bought a composite-mod kit from another source here in the UK but having looked at the soldering work on this kit, I'm not too keen to fit this into my 400 in case it compounds the problem, rather than resolving it.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Did you fully reassemble the metal shield after installing the 48K RAM? You said you got a new CPU board too. Does the noise change between old and new CPU board?

The four wires are required to bring select and deselect signals for addressing 48K because the 400 was designed for only 32K RAM. The board should be fine for PAL 400s.

The post below has a photo of an Intec board. Is that the one you have? I don't see a single large bypass cap on it at all, just the smaller ones near each chip. Most boards use electrolytic caps near the edge connector for power filtering. Perhaps you could add one? Just be careful of the polarity.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207429-atari-400-incognito-like-upgrade/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2939447

yes it has its toroid ring basically this upgrade was made by atari and for some reason its causing major interference problems if i was to remove some of the memory chips from the board would it still work and use less power just to fault find if its a power drain problem.

The drams are 1 bit wide. 64k of single bits wide. It takes eight of them to make a byte, so removing a dram the computer will not work.

The 48K board does not connect -5 and +12. I do not have a schematic for a PAL machine, but you may need to jumper the power pins. A stock RAM board connects pin 20 to pin X and pin 21 to pin Y. You might try that. Use a 100 ohm resistor to connect the pins and see if the video improves. If it does, try a 47 ohm, then a 10 ohm. Or, a .1ufd capacitor.

You can also try the 'Finger Generator' and just touch each of those pins with your finger while it is running - see what happens. (use a piece of wire for a probe)

If nothing much happens, it's probably not the power circuits...

Bob

Did you do a visual check of the electrolytic caps on the power board to make sure none have leaked? Look for residue at the base of the cap. If one of those go bad, it can allow increase noise in the power circuit. I think you already checked the voltages, but you would miss the noise if you used a multimeter.

Edited by tep392

not the best pictures but the one with the worst interference is when the program is running.

I was looking at these pics again, and it looks like you were typing the program into the memo pad. So no program, other than memo pad, was running. The only difference between the last photo and the others would be how much text you have on the screen. I'm still suspicious of ANTIC or GTIA.

edit: or a bad video cable or cable connector.

Edited by tep392

Did you do a visual check of the electrolytic caps on the power board to make sure none have leaked? Look for residue at the base of the cap. If one of those go bad, it can allow increase noise in the power circuit. I think you already checked the voltages, but you would miss the noise if you used a multimeter.

I was reading the post waiting for SOMEONE to suggest that it could be PSU caps. with this memory board, it might draw more power causing the filtering to be less effective if the caps are bad. I think you could pinpoint the 5V cap in the 400/800 Field service manual which is available online in PDF form.