IGNORED

Best Television/Monitor for Framemeister and Classic Games

RangerG

The posts on being able to have RGB output on the Intellivision and Colecovision peaked my interest, but they both need the Framemeister. There is lots of information out there about the Framemeister, but what do you hook it up to for the classic systems (sdtv, hdtv, or monitor)? So many modern monitors and hdtvs are widescreen and this doesn't seem best for classic games. But, does the Framemeister work with a standard sized sdtv or are there big negatives to this set-up? I'd like to know how others have set this up. If I went this route (the cost is a drawback at this point ;-), I have a small gaming area (good for 13" monitors and tvs), so I'd like some ideas.Thanks.

It really doesn't matter. The whole point of the framemeister is to make the picture on an HDTV or monitor look more like the picture of an old SDTV CRT.

So using it with an old CRT is useless. And whatever HDTV or monitor you use, the upscaling is done by the framemeister, so it will output the same picture whatever device it is on. Of course modern displays are widescreen, but you can just leave the 4:3 picture with black on the left and right. Anything with HDMI is good.

If you're a fan of scan lines the framemeister does much better at 720p, so obviously a tv with matching resolution would have an edge there, but I'd imagine those tvs are getting harder to locate.

Also the quicker the HDTV can get its image to display the better. It's getting easier to find those numbers than it used to be. Manufacturers don't generally publish them, but it's common in AV tests/reviews. I'm looking at going from a ~33ms screen to ~24ms (latency not the reason for the upgrade). The framemeister itself claims to add 22ms.

Edited by Reaperman

Yes, depending on the game you play you may notice a bit of lag. It's mostly important for advanced fighting game players and speedrunners that actually make every frame count. For the average player most HDTVs will do just fine.

Yeah, but the average player doesn't bother with a framemeister. Laggy upscaler performance is one big reason that I bought mine. (that and my tv couldn't handle genesis video for whatever reason without this external help)

My current tv's video lag performance is fairly average, but I believe it's below my detection threshold for the classics with the framemeister. When I was using its built-in upscaler however, I did notice. It wasn't even close to unplayable, but I had to play more conservatively than I like to.

Edited by Reaperman