IGNORED

Macintosh 512K question...

ataridave

Back in the late 1980s, my Dad got a Macintosh 512K. I had a LOT of fun gaming on it, but there was one big negative about it that I also remember about it. More times then I can remember, we got the "Sorry A System Error Occured" message box, with the little bomb logo. I don't remember any of the error numbers, and to this day, I can't understand why we got so many of them.

The only possible explanation that I've gotten is that it happened so often because the 512K had no fan. But in that case, wouldn't it just have overheated, and died completely?

Well, it could also have been that the early System/Finder software was buggy. Also, a lot of the first gen software was rushed, and programming tools were poor.

For the next few years, OS updates were pretty frequent. You also had to use the proper mix of System versions with Finder versions, and all Desktop Accessory programs had to play nice with each other, too.

Having said that, most of the bomb errors that I got was due to a lack of memory management hardware. Programs would leak into memory areas that held other things.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep... the old Finder back in the day was just really buggy. It didn't stabilize dramatically until System 6, really.

The power supply in those things was a huge board that went up one side of the machine and it used to get pretty hot. I got a used Kensington System Saver from a friend that had a bad fan in it, so I replaced the fan with one that moved like triple the CFM of the original. The Mac still got warm, but not like it did. It was much better.

Edited by Muzz73

I got some weird error messages on my old Mac Plus (stuff that didn't make sense like Co-Processor not installed) because it was overheating. The newer compact macs have fans in them, but the 512K does not. This could have been an issue. Also like Muzz73 said, old Finder versions are buggy. System 6 is the way to go.

• Like 1

I got some weird error messages on my old Mac Plus (stuff that didn't make sense like Co-Processor not installed) because it was overheating. The newer compact macs have fans in them, but the 512K does not. This could have been an issue. Also like Muzz73 said, old Finder versions are buggy. System 6 is the way to go.

I appreciate all the help! So, would any of the Macintosh SE models have system 6 or a fan?