IGNORED

Is the mini SNES/SNES jr. compatible with the same games as the original?..

ataridave

Being officially produced by Nintendo it shouldn't have the problems of third party knock offs. I'm sure there's something out there that doesn't work with it, bt I have one, and it plays everything my original system did....granted I only had 100 or so games, and none of the really finicky last gen FX games so I can't comment on those.

Oh hey you actually used Google for once... and then asked yet another pointless question that could've been easily answered within a few seconds...

Well, technically it was answered in a few seconds by godslabrat. I don't see why people choose to go the route of being snarky and rude, instead of taking a few seconds of their own time to help them.

Anyway, as others have mentioned the SNES Jr. is capable of playing any games the SNES can play. I've owned and used both, and to be honest I never really noticed a difference.

• Like 1

I still need to get one of these, and get it AV modded. I find the original SNES to be a bit fugly..

As I mentioned in the intro episode of my SNES Podcast, I find the SNES to be very ugly also. But it was designed that way on purpose, with the blocky look and the sharp angles, to keep people form putting drinks on top of it like people did with the NES. :)

Heh.. the Japanese model was designed lieke this, not the US one.

The US one was designed to look more serious than the rounded SuFami; even gone to change the colorful buttons to the dull lavender/purple colors used.

However, the ridges and large buttons atop the console were indeed desigend to prevent people putting drinks on it... but a rounded shape like the Snin/SuFami would have been more efficient.

I once found an article about the SNes redesign, and it was apparently designed very fast; Nintendo wanted to rush it all to compete back with the Megadrive/Genesis, which is why they released the SNin so soon in Europe as well, and with the Japanese shell : because they didn't gave a fuck about the European market, and their US shells were too precious to be used for the Euro market (Thankfully, to be honest. It has to be one of the worst redesign even made, only beaten by the Xbox360 slim...).

Edited by CatPix

Youtube gamer MN12BIRD did a video on the mini SNES, which I watched, and he mentioned nothing about compatibility; in fact he showed that you can also mod the mini SNES to play Super Famicom games by taking out the same plastic tabs. It does not have S-Video out, unless modded, or RF out. It also doesn't have an LED power light.

I never cared about the boxy design of the original SNES. In the Fall of 1991, I played a demo unit at Target, and was blown away by the graphics and sounds in Super Mario World. But, I decided to ask for a Sega Genesis for Christmas that year, as I had read about slow down in SNES games like Super R-Type. And I had gamed a lot on our Mac 512K, and had read that the Genesis had the same 68000 microprocessor.

SNES hardware and games have gone through the roof, in terms of prices, on Ebay! Even a game as common as Super Castlevania IV goes for well over $30.00, and, unfortunately, it only gets worse from there.

Edited by newataridave

...SNES hardware and games have gone through the roof, in terms of prices, on Ebay! Even a game as common as Super Castlevania IV goes for well over $30.00, and, unfortunately, it only gets worse from there.

I know what you are talking about. Prices on eBay are sky high now. I used to be able to get a SNES with all the cables and a few good games for something around $30. Now, people price them as priceless antiques.

• Like 1

The link I gave above is not working, but this one does :

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=46303

No mention of Super Turrican in that post, but it was not necessarily completely comprehensive. A lot of really good games on that list, so pursuit of superior sharpness should not be everything.

There are some minor differences, detailed here :

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=46303

Edited by Great Hierophant