IGNORED

Lode Runner

moycon

Could it be done on the 2600?

I always loved that game...and it SEEMS possible. But to my knowledge, I never even heard of this ever possibly being a 2600 game.

What a great game.

If I have time later I might whip up a quick mock-screenshot.

Anyone agree or know why it was never attempted?

I wrote a clone of that for the Amiga in the early 80's, I think besides technical limitations it would take up too much space to hold all the different screens.

How sick is that, I still have a couple of screen shots ...

fmscr0.jpg

fmscr1.jpg

I wrote a clone of that for the Amiga in the early 80's, I think besides technical limitations it would take up too much space to hold all the different screens.

Ahh, but if it was bankswitched on 16 or 32K with some good compression, couldn't it hold a fair to decent amount of them?

There would be multiple problems creating the display regardless...since the 2600 only has the 40-pixel 1-color background. In Lode Runner, you have bricks, cement, horizontal and vertical ladders, and the gold. I suppose the gold could use the ball sprite (though there might be a problem if an enemy drops some)...but how to keep the bricks and cement looking different? In addition, you would need Ram to keep track of holes that are dug (which I believe is a maximum of 10 at any time...7 dug out and 3 filling back up) and the player and enemy locations. The missiles might be combined somehow to make a 4-pixel player and use the two player objects reused (a la Adventure) for 4 enemies (to minimize flicker).

Oh...I forgot about having only one button to dig (which might be a problem if you are working in close quarters). And the extra ladders that appear when completing a level would also need to be in Ram, dunno how that would fare getting them on-screen afterward :ponder: The brick/cement/ladder problem might be solved by having the cement be a section completely filled with pixels, bricks having pixels every other scanline, and ladders every third or fourth line.

Err...actually the ladder problem might be solved by having two seperate screens mapped. One with bonus ladders and one without.

Any idea how to solve the digging/refilling hole problem (since the display screens can't just copy the pixel info mapped...the holes wouldn't get dug at all)?

lode runner doesnt even come up on a search of their site. how sad. what was the name of their later era 3d apple 2 game, where you were on a hovercraft over the water? had amazing animation for the time, and was really fun. I used to play the heck out of it on the amiga...

lode runner doesnt even come up on a search of their site. how sad. what was the name of their later era 3d apple 2 game, where you were on a hovercraft over the water? had amazing animation for the time, and was really fun. I used to play the heck out of it on the amiga...

Raid On Bungling Bay.

I didn't need to, it was implied. I said ATARI released a version for the XE

But if as you also said it only required 48K, then it wasn't only for the XE. It could also be the 800 version.

Kung%20Fu%20Hands1_jpg.jpg

Hi-yah!

EDIT: The name of the game was Airheart. One of the first games to use the Apple's new double-hires mode.

Yeah, you only said that it existed and used 48k...no mention of Atari or being on a cartridge at first.

True but I did say that it was for the XE. The only version specifically released for the XE was the Atari Corp. cartridge version, the Broderbund version was only released for the 400/800 (check the box). The fact that the XE version works on the 400/800 and vice versa is inconsequential. :P :P :P

Tempest