IGNORED

Anyone else thinking of getting an XEGS for Yule?

Shawn

Personally I think the 800, 800XL, 1200XL and 130XE are the cream of the crop. I personally found the build quality of the XEGS to be an all time low for Atari and the machine doesn't really offer any real expansion options. they seem to go for a fair amount of money too... I think more folks should just pass. Maybe get a nice socketed 800XL (andf mod it) or a stock 130XE and you have a better machine in every way.

Personally I think the 800, 800XL, 1200XL and 130XE are the cream of the crop. I personally found the build quality of the XEGS to be an all time low for Atari and the machine doesn't really offer any real expansion options. they seem to go for a fair amount of money too... I think more folks should just pass. Maybe get a nice socketed 800XL (andf mod it) or a stock 130XE and you have a better machine in every way.

I always find posts about classic computers having poor build quality amusing. What are these 30 years old? The three in my collection work fine.

The XEGS is a great Atari for people who do not want to mod their machines. The composite out works with very modern televisions without modification or RF interference. The built in game and included gun were fun. I've probably bought my last Atari hardware (though I would like an 800 plus an 810 on the cheap), and I do not often play these days, but there will always be an XEGS with a Wico stick and a Maxflash cart plugged waiting to play with me.