IGNORED

Pinball - Thoughts?

cvga

I've been playing games on the Intellivision Flashback system. Tonight's game was Pinball. I only played 20 minutes or so I can't really offer more than some initial thoughts. I will say that I wasn't overly impressed though. My main complaint is that there's a noticeable delay between when you hit a button and when the flipper moves. I didn't leave the first board (I didn't even know there were multiple boards until afterward when I searched the net).

Oddly, this game seems to get great reviews online. What am I missing?

I wrote a review for this and a handful of other classic video pinball carts for the Classic Gamer mag back in the late 90's. Pinball for Intellivision is still one of my favorite games for the system. Sure, it has the typical (somewhat) lethargic Intellivision feel to it, but once you get used to the controls and learn when to flip for better ball control, can be a very rewarding early video pinball experience. Recently bought a Bally Professional Arcade and have tried their pinball game in small doses. Like it better than Atari's Video Pinball, but not as much as Intellivision's. Intellivision Pinball really has a lot of features going for it (big fan of drop targets myself) and the inclusion of multiple tables keeps things interesting.

• Like 2

I wrote a review for this and a handful of other classic video pinball carts for the Classic Gamer mag back in the late 90's. Pinball for Intellivision is still one of my favorite games for the system. Sure, it has the typical (somewhat) lethargic Intellivision feel to it, but once you get used to the controls and learn when to flip for better ball control, can be a very rewarding early video pinball experience. Recently bought a Bally Professional Arcade and have tried their pinball game in small doses. Like it better than Atari's Video Pinball, but not as much as Intellivision's. Intellivision Pinball really has a lot of features going for it (big fan of drop targets myself) and the inclusion of multiple tables keeps things interesting.

Just curious, did you cover the original Pinball from Nintendo for the NES? What are you thoughts on that one? I always liked that game, but part of it I'm sure is that this is one of three games I got with my NES for Christmas of 87 (along with Top Gun and SMB) so I played the hell out of everything I had until I got more games for my birthday in 2 months time.

NES Pinball is good for what it is, but I'll still forever enjoy playing Midnight Magic, Bumper Bash and INTV Pinball to that one. Seems Nintendo could have done a better job with their Pinball game. Just doesn't hold my attention as the others do.

The NES pinball game I had fun with BITD was Pinbot. :)

• 2 months later...

I like Pinball. Its pretty nice. But I noticed that its pretty different on the Nintendo DS, than on the Intellivision. Since its an emulation and the Flashback Unit also emulates I wonder if it feels like the DS Version (pretty crappy), or like the real version (quite good).

I think it is unfortunate some people seem to dislike, or at least be disinterested in, this game. I like Intellivision's Pinball better than any similar game I have played on any home system (when I say "similar", I am including such pinball-like games as Colecovision's "Flipper Slipper"). Great physics and lots of interactive elements and two bonus screens (I am inordinately proud of having reached that third screen twice, though I wasn't on it long either time). Typical of Intellivision games, it offers more than what was necessary, trying to offer as much as it can within the technical constraints of the console.