IGNORED

Operation: Sushi

Rev

What, if any improvements could be made to gameplay?

For these games it's good to have the option to choose at the start between the "traditional version" and an enhanced one.

For now, I don't know what could be done to improve gameplay but maybe it would be good to see all your saved trucks entering in a base after you clean up the enemies. Of course the animation should be fast and it's good when you can skip it by pressing a button.

----

Hmm... Now I'm thinking if it's possible to combine some elements of choplifter.

Instead of having the trucks already rolling, what if they're trapped in the enemy base. You bomb it and the trucks scape and you protect them while they're returning to your base... Just a thought.

• Like 1

What, if any improvements could be made to gameplay?

Random thoughts:

A night scene.

Change of background (Jungle, Swamp, City landscape)

Intro screen describing the mission (could be different for various backgrounds)

Summary screen when map is cleared with some stats/score update.

Are there ever any land enemies ... your chopper would need bombs to hit them (and NOT hit your convoy).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the gameplay needs to have quite a bit of improvement. I remember liking this as a kid, but I played a bit this weekend and it rapidly became boring / repetitive.

I like Fushek's suggestion of varied scenery and think a bright green jungle scene would look cool, and a night scene would certainly ramp up the difficulty.

I have no idea if any of this is possible, but-

New enemies? What about a slow moving bomber that tracks the whole way across the field of play. When it appears a sound effect is triggered and you have to quickly fly to its location and take it out. How about occasionally when you shoot down a plane, the pilot ejects and parachutes to the ground. If the pilot makes it to the ground without being shot he plants a few land mines to take out the convoy (of course, that will require you to be able to shoot / bomb the pilot / landmines)

New weapons? Bombs / the ability to shoot at the ground if ground based enemies are added. An airborne mega-bomb that has the potential to take out all of the enemies hovering above any 3 convoy trucks. Weapon power ups? Perhaps the weapon beam starts thinner and increases in width as you collect power ups and is reset if you die.

Weapon overheating? Similar to Excitebike where you can't just hold down he throttle (fire button) the whole time, but you have to think a little bit about the shots you take.

• Like 1

Maybe at night, something like a "sweeping radar" effect where an invisible swath rotates around the player's helicopter, and a possible target that is swept in the "field" lights up using shades/dithers of green*. Kind of like a variation of the night scene in Atlantis, where enemy ships are only visible when the yellow floodlight hits them.

[snip]

I like Fushek's suggestion of varied scenery and think a bright green jungle scene would look cool, and a night scene would certainly ramp up the difficulty.

[snip]

* Now that I am wrestling with some Intv pixel art myself, I understand how challenging it would actually be. But someone with talent could probably pull it off...