IGNORED

Opportunity is calling...is it worth it...

TheEditor

I have a oppurtunity to buy the following for today for about a hundred bucks.

130xe, working with power supply

810, working with all cables

Rana 1000, working with all cables

850, working with all cables

800, working but no RAM, with all cables

Paddles, working

Wico Red Bat Handle joystick, working

I have no use for some of the gear. I am thinking it is worth the price just to sell off some of it.

Thoughts? Good deal?

Edited by TheEditor

Good start on a base of equipment to start trading. For instance, trade the 800 to someone with a spare ram board in exchange for a 1050. It all depends on what system you want to end up with. Most modern would be something like and expanded 130XE with SIO2SD or something similar. Most rare would be the 800 with the Rana. Most classic would be 800 with 810. Keep everything and... :)

An 800, good but no ram? What happened to the ram?

810? Someone (collector) might buy that.

850, paddles, etc. essentially of extremely limited value.

The 130XE and Rana together might be worth the $100. Most Rana's are functionally single density only. They had good electronics, but mostly poor mechs.

IMO overall, it's a dubious opportunity, but having said that, if you put several of the items on eBay, you can come out ok.

-Larry

Well, it turns out the guy didnt know what he had, he thought the 810 was something that had RAM in it and thought it was an 800. Everything works and also got a tons of disks. The 810 in missing the back panel label where the connectors are and the Rana is missing the from label where the buttons are but other than that it all works. I also eneded up with a pair of atari joysticks.

I am considering selling

working 810 with cables

working RANA with cables

working 850 with cables including a parallel cable to centroics

working Atari joysticks

I also have two 400's wiith power supplies, RAM upgrades and real keyboards that I need to test and see if they are working. If so they may be for sale also.

Why do you say that Ranas are pretty much single density? I think the ones i used seemed to work okay in DD.

There are a number of firmware bugs in the various versions of the Rana ROMs I've looked at... If I ever get the 6502 version of the rom working well with US, I'll get that out and it seems to work great now SD / ED / DD...

Why do you say that Ranas are pretty much single density? I think the ones i used seemed to work okay in DD.

I've had at least a dozen Rana drives. Maybe 50% were reliable in DD. Ones with "pull-down" mechs are more reliable than the "lever" type. SD -- great, but DD is a challenge, especially from more than one drive. No track-zero sensor, and that might be a factor. So what I'm saying (and I think it is very good advice) if you buy a 30-year old Rana that is"working" don't count on DD.

-Larry

I spoke with the guy I bought the gear from and he is going to look for the RANA button bar as it is missing on the drive, but the drive appears to function without it. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

On a second note. I have and SIO2PC device I built which works on my 800 but on my 130XE it boots and then the keyboard is locked up. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I spoke with the guy I bought the gear from and he is going to look for the RANA button bar as it is missing on the drive, but the drive appears to function without it. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

On a second note. I have and SIO2PC device I built which works on my 800 but on my 130XE it boots and then the keyboard is locked up. Anyone have thoughts on this?

On the off-chance that you are a new 130XE user... are you holding down OPTION as you turn it on? This disables the BASIC ROM.

Does the 130XE pass the self-test?

Not a new 130Xe user as I had one back in the day. I did some extensive testing with my 130Xe and my 800 and determined the following:

SIO2PC to 800, works fine all the time using RI, CTS or DTR

SIO2PC to 130xe, boots with any disk using RI, CTS or DTR but keyboard is locked up once booted even into just DOS 2.0

SIO2BT to 130xe, works fine all the time.

The SIO2PC device I am using is one I built with an Arduino and the fact that it works perfectly on the 800 without issues is strange to say the least. The SIO2BT device has only been tested on the 130xe as I do not have a way to burn a new ROM for the 800, yet.

130xe passes all self tests and works great with everything I have booted otherwise.

Edited by TheEditor

Using thhe SIO2PC (via USB as COM3) I built with my Arduino running ASPEqt or Atari810 under Windows. Runs prefectly with the 800, only has issues with the 130XE.

I would try swapping the PIA on that 130XE with another one known to work with a SIO2PC (that means desoldering/soldering however). I had occasions where a particular PIA didn't work with SIO2PC (and even stopped working with a SIO2PC after a while), with symptoms like keyboard lock-ups, timing errors, but worked fine with regular Atari drives. I believe the reason is the electrical properties of an SIO2PC being different from an Atari drive, and some PIA chips that may have had different tolerances or those tolerances changing over time. If that doesn't fix the problem the second place I would look is the Pokey chip.

Edited by atari8warez