IGNORED

Miner 2049er rules!

Brad2600

How many of you enjoy the 5200 version of this game? I also have the 2600 version but the 5200 version roxxors!

I got a score of almost 8,000 partially because I can't figure out how to beat the 2nd screen. There's those slides that you go down if you step on a certain part of the platform. I just can't seem to get up to the top fast enough.

I don't understand what exactly the platform is. I know if you run over the blocks, you get points but what exactly are they?

Other than that...GREAT GAME! Bill Hogue is a genius! :D

• Like 1

Well yeah dude, ot was one of the best games around! :D .. but you've got a long way to go if you're still figuring out only the 2nd screen :P

I have a strategy guide I got from a magazine that I've never seen posted anywhere.. I could scan it and post it here if you'd like :)

• Like 1

Well yeah dude, ot was one of the best games around! :D .. but you've got a long way to go if you're still figuring out only the 2nd screen :P

I have a strategy guide I got from a magazine that I've never seen posted anywhere.. I could scan it and post it here if you'd like :)

Please do, I'm stuck at level 5. On the CV version I'm at level 8 but I seem to have more trouble with the 5200 version.

Bill Hougue is a genius, I remember being so incredibly psyched for Scraper Caper and then so bitterly disppointed when I heard it wasn't to be.

Well scratch that... I guess somebody DID scan them. You can find it here:

http://www.classicgaming.com/miner2049er/articles.html

The strategy guide I was going to scan is the one on the bottom left(Creative Computing's "Video & Arcade Games" - Fall 1983). However, I noticed that his scans are a little teeny (see sample below). But you can still read it I guess..

post-31-1048787039_thumb.png

I don't understand what exactly the platform is. I know if you run over the blocks, you get points but what exactly are they?  

I think the manual calls them "pieces of framework". Just roll with it...

Miner is my favorite 8-bit game (try the 400/800 version as it's the same as the 5200 version with a decent joystick). I like the sequel as well but those pseudo 3D platforms make it too hard to judge where the edge is. BBSB is way too hard (beat it once), but Miner is just right. I can easily get to zone 5 or 6 on a good day.

Does everyone know the cheat for warping to different levels? Just hop up on the first ramp of the first screen so you don't killed. Then type in Big Five's phone number. Its on the title screen and the cart itself. Then Ctrl-Shift-and the level number. Hope I remembered that right! Really helps when you want to practice.

Don't have the 5200 version yet. How does it compare to the ColecoVision version? I know it was also made for the TI99 and C64. Are there any other versions?

As I mentioned earlier, there's a version for the 2600 and I have it. The graphics are simpler but I assume the gameplay is similar as well.

Thanks for the scans, NE146!

I'll have to look them over later on. I might pop it in for another game.

I just got Kaboom! and PitfallII for the 5200 today from dougy76. I'm testing those out later as well.

I played Miner with the Wico joystick and the control is pretty good. I did have to adjust the resistance on the controller to get a good handle on the game.

Don't have the 5200 version yet. How does it compare to the ColecoVision version? I know it was also made for the TI99 and C64. Are there any other versions?

IMO the Colecovision version blows. I love this game for the 5200. It's one of the most creative games ever made.

IMO the Colecovision version blows. I love this game for the 5200. It's one of the most creative games ever made.

Why do you think the CV version blows? I think it's quite excellent myself. I prefer it to the 5200 version because I like playing it with the Super Action Sticks. The graphics seem "smoother" to me on the CV also.

Why do you think the CV version blows? I think it's quite excellent myself. I prefer it to the 5200 version because I like playing it with the Super Action Sticks. The graphics seem "smoother" to me on the CV also.

I dunno, I guess it's mainly that I'm more used to the 5200 version than I am to the CV version. I can regularly get to level 8 or higher on the 5200 whereas I struggle to get past level 5 on the CV version. I guess I'm just used to the non-centering sticks. I'm much better at pinpoint jumps on the 5200 version than I am on the CV version.

You're right on about the graphics, though. The CV version has slightly better graphics than the 5200 version.