IGNORED

Amiibo!

Unbeliever

I'm curious if there's any collectors of this out there, and if you like the way the characters are designed. Are you using them with your Wii U, or are you just collecting them? I have a 3DS and no accessory to play them on (yet), so at the moment they are staying in their packages and are part of my Nintendo collection. There was so much hype on the release of these devices, so did they live up to the hype they received in your opinion, or are you in general disappointed with them?

I picked up the Mario figure this morning, and personally find the figure well done and detailed. Are you collecting just a select few of these are are you getting all of them as they get released? There seems to be plenty all over the place (Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc), but did you find shortages and couldn't get a particular figure before Christmas, and are you still having trouble locating the ones you want now?

I wasn't planning on getting these, since in particular I don't have a Wii U and will have to wait for the peripheral for the 3DS, but I love the way they display. What are your thoughts on collecting these from Nintendo? Do you like them? Are you obsessed? Were you not impressed? Do you think they'll become harder to obtain down the road (1st release in particular) and do you think the prices on the first runs will increase exponentially?

I'm mostly curious as to what people out there at AtariAge think of these figures and how they play if you do have a Wii U you can play them on. Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

My wife and I have a few for SSB and we like them a lot. It's a neat physical component that modern gaming tends to lack. We use them for 8(currently 6) player melee to flesh it out but still feel more connected to the opponent. I think they look great and it's pretty hard to convince my son that they aren't toys for him to destroy.

We tend to buy in pairs of male/female for toons we like to play. First was Zelda/Link then Pikachu/Peach. Granted you don't play AS them, but it makes it more fun for us. Depending on your expectations they are great or completely pointless. I'm still awaiting a Ness amiibo.

Yeah, I dig Amiibo! :D

I've currently got Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Kirby, Samus, Link, Zelda, DK, and Diddy. All unboxed and registered on my Wii-U. Haven't picked up Smash Bros U yet but I plan to... :P

I've got Meta Knight and King Dedede on preorder at my local Best Buy, and two Rosalina preorders, one from UK and one from Japan. Target really SNAFUed with the Rosalina preorders. I plan on getting Bowser from wave 3 also to complete my "Galaxy" set.

I'm also waiting on announcements for the Duck Hunt duo and Zero Suit Samus. As far as third parties go, I may get Sonic and possibly Pacman as well if they release him.

Glad to see there are a few out there in the Amiibo corner. Honestly, when the announcement of these happened, I didn't know what to think. Then people pointed to the other toy interactive game combo and said, "yep, just like that but with Nintendo characters". Perhaps, I thought, but I mostly wanted the figurines. They are pretty affordable, and as long as they stick around, I don't feel the urge to run out there and break the bank to get them all at once. I looked for Luigi (would be a natural pair up with his brother), but didn't see him anywhere. Seems more popular around here than his "star" brother...oh well, I'm sure he'll be back around here soon enough.

Edited by wolfpaw1966

Our family has:

Link

Kirby

Zelda

Yoshi

Luigi

Mario x 2

Pikachu x 2

Unlike the Skylanders and Disney Infinity we keep the Amiibo on display permanently.

Most of them are level 50 in Smash Bros. Also use them for Mario Kart costumes and treasure in Hyrule Warriors.

These continue the trend of Nintendo releasing complete games with other cool stuff just adding to the experience. SSB is certainly playable and awesome without these but they add a little extra interaction. I've avoided the other fig games because they aren't very endearing and end up feeling like just more plastic crap. I'm fine with that being like 75% long time love of these characters.

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Yoshi's Wholly World, the new Kirby Rainbow title (I forget the name atm), and Mario Party 10 will get Amiibo support in 2015. Good stuff...

Yes, much more so that for SSB, I'm really looking forward to these 1st 3 titles and their Amiibo support. But that's simply because I'm not a huge SSB player.....for those that are, I think it's a fantastic game and the Amiibo support is top notch. I haven't gotten into this mode yet, but can't you play on teams of 2? If that's the case, then I think it's that mode that someone's amped-up Amiibo would be a blast to be partnered with. As it is, my Level 15 Pikachu is starting to be able to bust me up pretty good, which I'm not enjoying so much :)

I was keen to grab Marth, but much like the WiiU Gamecube adaptor, I didn't expect there to be any supply issue, and I'm not prepared to pay the crazy high prices online.

Yes, this type of situation with Nintendo items amazes me. Don't get me wrong, manufacturers can honestly underestimate the demand for a particular product. It just seems as though Nintendo does so fairly regularly (SSB WiiU/Gamecube Adapter, Gamecube Component Cables, Gamestop exclusivity for Xenoblade Chronicles).

Then again, Nintendo has been adamant about not undercutting the value of their products either through a practice of continuous and unmitigated discounting, or I'm sure though 'over' supply, so they'd probably prefer to always be conservative on demand estimates. I can't blame them for that.

Okay, stupid question: Let me get this straight: The Amiibo figure you "input" you have no control over? It's technically not "yours" to play with on screen? You can help it get "better" but technically it goes off on it's own and you can fight it? I guess I'm not quite sure how these work in game.

Also, is there any other information on the Amiibo accessory for the 3DS? I haven't seen anything about it since last June, a release date, a price, etc.

Okay, stupid question: Let me get this straight: The Amiibo figure you "input" you have no control over? It's technically not "yours" to play with on screen? You can help it get "better" but technically it goes off on it's own and you can fight it? I guess I'm not quite sure how these work in game.

Also, is there any other information on the Amiibo accessory for the 3DS? I haven't seen anything about it since last June, a release date, a price, etc.

That's how it works in SSB, at least as far as I'm aware. Regarding the 3DS adapter, I haven't seen any details forthcoming since the original announcement.

You can earn upgrades for your Amiibo by playing the game yourself. Then you feed the upgrades to the Amiibo to customise it. For example you might get boots that increase speed but slightly lower defence.

You can fight alongside your Amiibo in a team. If you fight against it as the same character it will learn to fight like you.

We have set up 8 Amiibos just fighting each other and watched.

That's how it works in SSB, at least as far as I'm aware. Regarding the 3DS adapter, I haven't seen any details forthcoming since the original announcement.

I heard that Amiibo support will be "New" 3DS only. They may release an adapter for the old style 3DS but knowing Nintendo they discontinue it soon afterwords because they want people to buy the new one. It may end up rare and orphaned like the Wii-U Game Cube adapter.

Edited by stardust4ever

That doesn't bode well if Nintendo decides to do this. I would prefer they release the adapter and keep it around for those of us that might not be upgrading to the "new" 3DS anytime soon. Oh sure, I can't deny that I will probably get one down the road, but not right away. Eh...the figures look awesome just displayed as they are. I know there are a million figures and whatnot out there, but I really like the looks of the characters they're releasing in the Amiibo line.

Now, anyone know when Pac-Man will be released? He's my favorite character. :D

Edited by wolfpaw1966

Pacman and the friggin' Duck Hunt Dog will be amazing if/when they come out!

I know it's a pipe dream but it would be epic if somebody hacks an NFR reader into a homebrew/hacked NES or Atari game to work with the retro-inspired Amiibos. For example, scan Peach to switch to Pauline mode in Donkey Kong, or scan the Duck Hunt Duo on a specially modified Duck Hunt cart to play the VS shoot-the-dog arcade version.

NES carts would either need the top-loader or an external reader to work though...

• Like 1

....I haven't unlocked Duck Hunt yet in game...sigh. But yes, that's another figure I'll be collecting if/when it comes out.

According to the release schedule, neither one are listed yet. Some time after February , but when is anyone's guess. A hack, you say? That would be something to see accomplished!

I really love these as just little figures/trophies as well as gameplay devices. It's nice to see merch for Nintendo characters that never see much promotion, and real life Smash Bros trophies is something I've dreamed about since I was a kid. Also nice to actually see a potential Pac-Man figure that's NOT based on Ghostly Adventures. Anyways, here's my collection thus far.

1I7zS6o.jpg

I also have Bowser and Dedede on preorder, and I definitely plan to pick up ROB, Pac-Man, and Game and Watch when they drop. I suppose you could say I'm a little obsessed.

....I haven't unlocked Duck Hunt yet in game...sigh.

If you want to get him quickly without playing a bunch of matches, you just need to make 1 KO in Cruel smash. My strategy was just playing as Ike and countering near the edge. The Miis can't seem to grab edges, so it's not hard to knock them off with a little effort and a lot of counterattack spamming.

• 2 weeks later...

Got all the characters unlocked now (finally)! I think Princess Peach is my next Amiibo on tap for my collection.

I know they haven't announced the unlockable characters yet, but I've seen youtube videos where a hacker has cracked the codes for unreleased Amiibo.

Here he is swiping a "Duck Hunt" figure:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/01/video_hacker_allegedly_shows_hidden_duck_hunt_amiibo_data_in_super_smash_bros_for_wii_un

So if you don't have said character unlocked, would swiping it's Amiibo unlock it early? IMO it would be kinda dumb otherwise to have the figure and not be able to play it.

Oh, anyone asked for rare Amiibos this christmas, but didn't get what they wanted? This video was mildly entertaining. Warning: swear words...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Yes, that was mildly entertaining. lol :)

I did add Peach to my lineup...three Amiibo and counting. I hope I have some sort of chance to get Bowser next month...probably from Best Buy..they did seem pretty low on stock when I went in there tonight. Everyone keeps telling me to grab Pikachu. He's not really high on my Amiibo to get list. lol