IGNORED

Club Drive

DinnerMan

Club Drive  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Best game on Jaguar, or best game ever?

• Best game on Jaguar
    • Best game ever

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had my first Club Drive experience the other night and I have to say it was a favorable one.

I'm down to just missing "crap" games for my jaguar and I've decided to play them all on my (ahem) virtual jaguar to see which ones warrant buying hard copies.

I decided to play Checkered Flag first, and can confirm that it's absolute garbage! I enjoyed the Virtua Racer style graphics but the controls render it unplayable. And i like racing games... I'm going to give it another try with the Reboot steering patch but thats a story for another thread.

Club Drive on the other hand, immediately endeared me to its existence with its attractive tropical menu screen and relaxing theme music.

The games graphics are simple, yet not offensively bad (okay so it looks like a bad tech demo for the SNES super FX Chip) but the controls work and the fun mini-game type modes are pretty fun, even in one player.

Looking forward to picking up a copy of this soon and tricking my friends into playing it with me.

Edited by travistouchdown

Part of being a Jaguar collector is trying to defend total shit games. Club Drive plays more like a tech demo, as travis said, than a real game. I wouldn't doubt if it was, then they slapped some bitmapped menu screens on and called it a game.

post-13896-0-88901400-1421207946_thumb.jpg

…kinda feel like giving Pilotwings another try after all these years. :)

I too liked Pilotwings... especially the parachute part of the game. Awesome use of Mode7 to give you that "realistic" free fall feeling. Couldn't help but be reminded of this game when you mentioned Club Drive feeling like a tech demo, because that's what everyone said about Pilotwings BITD. :lol:

*Funny also that some people think a game called Club Drive would be a golf sim. :rolling:

The game is ugly with already outdated graphix when it was released but in 2 players mode it is hilarous.

The level inside a house makes me think of Dire Straits Money for nothing clip.

Definitely the best game ever produced of all systems and all time and as noone knows about that it is still affordable on eBay ;)

Keep this in mind when you play club drive for the first time - you are inside a mini RC car with an engine that is too powerful for plastic toy you are driving. EVer had an RC car that when you floored it the car would over turn,etc.... - That is exactly how Club Drive handles.

Be reasonable with the throttle and steering and you can make a go of it.

• Like 1

I thought club drive was creative and interesting to explore, especially due to how expansive and diverse the 3D environments were for the time.

The extreme sensitivity of the car to the terrain, combined with the awful camera, work together to make it a bad experience though.

The environments could've benefited from a little more detail. sometimes i found the car flipping and the camera doing its own thing and I couldn't tell what I was looking at or which direction I was facing due to the lack of detail. but I think the game could've been "good" if the camera and physics were more conventional. Even the most basic courses like velocity park are impossible to race flawlessly, which should have raised a few questions prior to commercialization.

Edited by Willard

I think the biggest problem with Club Drive isn't so much the visuals themselves, but how the game handles the car going up hills and over edges. Basically there's no such thing as a smooth curve in this game so every time the terrain adjusts in angle the camera jerks around. It makes for a experience that feels unpolished and nauseous at the same time. Had they ironed that out the game would have been fine. Dated by today's standards, yes, but it would have been a playable experience that runs at a smooth framerate nonetheless (unlike a lot of other polygonal Jag games).

Edited by Austin