IGNORED

Upgraded to Wii U

LynxVGL

For Christmas, we upgraded to a Wii U. My Wii sadly had one of the bad laser issues and I was too cheap to replace/repair it. A year on, the Wii U has HDMI output which is a bonus for me.

First titles for us are: Hyrule Warriors, DKC Tropical Freeze, ScribbleNauts Unmasked, The Super Mario World 3D pack in, as well as NintendoLand.

I stopped by GameStop and was a little shocked by their small support, but was pleased by price of used games for it (ScribbleNauts & DKC were Gamestop purchases, each for under $20).

What are other people playing out there? Smash Bros. was never my thing, and I hear mixed reviews of Mario Kart 8. Thoughts?

I like how easy the Wii Transfer tool worked, and we are going through our Wii Libarary comparing how original titles look. I forgot how strong some of the original Wii library is. My kids LOVE TRON: Battle Grids (which may have been the best TRON game ever released IMHO) and I look forward to playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis on the gamepad while my wife watches Downton Abbey. :)

I loved Hyrule Warriors while it lasted. The main game is super short (15 or so hours) and the 'Adventure Mode' doesn't hold my interest because of all the conditions they put on each battle (use a certain person, take only so much damage, finish in under x min).

Mario Kart 8 was fun for a bit but I don't do online play and 150cc is insane so I've set that aside. The AI seems much more aggressive in this version than it did in Mario Kart Wii.

DKC Tropical Freeze is next up on my play list. I liked DC Returns on the Wii but I'm hoping they fixed the difficulty spikes.

Super Mario Wii U and Super Luigi U are fun if you liked the Wii incarnation (pretty much the same). Super Mario 3D World is probably my favorite Wii U game so far.

If you're into RPGs you should check out Xenoblade Saga and Last Story on the Wii. They're fun games.

Mixed reviews for Mario Kart 8?? I haven't heard anything but stellar reviews for it. My entire family loves it.

I was reading that most of the tracks are regular "Racing tracks" and the fun themed courses were kind of light in MK8.

My DKCTF was indeed $19.99. Don't know what to tell you. I was shocked myself. Maybe one of those random store screw-ups?

DKC Tropical Freeze is next up on my play list. I liked DC Returns on the Wii but I'm hoping they fixed the difficulty spikes.

Tropical Freeze starts off mild and smoothly ramps up the difficulty as the game moves on. By world 3 or 4 though it's already pretty tough.

My DKCTF was indeed $19.99. Don't know what to tell you. I was shocked myself. Maybe one of those random store screw-ups?

It probably was, either that or they happened to be running a sale the day you were there. The website shows it's back up to $45 used and $50 new.

I see it's a family thing, so:

My wife and I had great fun with Pikmin 3, MK8, SSB (not your thing, so eh), Super Mario 3D Land, DKC, and Super Mario Bros Wii U as they all offer forms of co-op. DKC can be a bit tough in co-op mode since the characters are often quite tailored to a specific level and you might not have that character in play. I found the challenge offered by DKC on the Wii U to be fairly stiff on many levels, but I was never great at the DKC games. Pikmin 3 has a number of modes that can be fairly relaxing to play together apart from the solo main campaign. I have Pikmin on the GCN but I never really played it, 3 was more or less my first one.

A one off for us was a copy of the Sonic racing game that a friend had laying around after his trade-in. We've had a blast with this one. It's been a few months since we've played at this point but I recall it being a bit more about the racing than the greifing. Naturally a speedy game, too.

NES Remix 2 has been great when the kids are running around and we need to pause a lot.