IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2015 (Season 8)

Here are my times for this past week (January 5th through 11th)...

Online (non-eligible):

Castaway 2 - 506 minutes in 9 sessions

Sorry, no classic games again this week. Castaway 2 is the only game I've played. From the number of areas completed, I'm now about halfway through though it may still take longer to complete the remaining maps because they require more monsters to be killed to advance.

• Like 2

My times:

Atari 7800:

Pac-man Collection: 60m

Asteroids Deluxe: 15m

Colecovision:

Antartic Adventure: 15m

Artillery Duel: 90m

Choplifter: 10m

Dragonfire: 5m

Frenzy: 15m

Frantic Freddy: 10m

Gateway to Asphai: 45m

Jungle Hunt: 10m

Miner 2049er: 15m

Montezuma's Revenge: 25m

Mountain King: 10m

Mecha-8: 10m

Sammy Lightfoot: 10m

Telly Turtle: 5m

Zaxxon: 15m

• Like 2

My times for the week:

NES:
Battle Chess - 88 min.
Hatris - 55 min.
Hydlide - 303 min.
Jimmy Connors Tennis - 17 min.
Genesis:
Andre Agassi Tennis - 31 min.
Gemfire - 9 min.
The Humans - 527 min.
James Pond - 19 min.
Marsupilami - 80 min.
Moving Psy-O-Blade Adventure - 60 min.
Game Boy:
Lucle - 2 min.
Lingo - 179 min.
Beat Hydlide for the first time in 20+ years, which was kind of fun. Most people hate the game, but I have a certain affection for it. I also beat The Humans on Normal (finally!), Battle Chess on Level 3, and Hatris on the highest difficulty on Normal speed (there's also Turbo, though the ending is the same).
In addition I went back and played through the first half of Psy-O-Blade so I could get to the shooter minigame that was abbreviated on the earlier patch I playtested. The game's actually better off without it, as beating 200 enemies in a third-rate version of Space Harrier just isn't that much fun.
Other than losing a few matches of tennis and getting annoyed by James Pond, my main other gameplay was the European-exclusive Game Boy adaptation of the TV show Lingo. It uses five-letter words exclusively, and is kind of like a cross between Wheel of Fortune, Bingo, and Mastermind. It took me a while to figure out the game's rules, but I never lost a match to the CPU, and eventually I was able to win a few puzzles in the bonus round. I think the real test is making it to the top of the high score table, and so far I've only placed in the middle. Unfortunately the game's vocabulary is very inconsistent, heavily British, and misses out some common words like "TOWER" and "GHOST".
  • Like 3

Atari Jaguar:
downfall - 60 min.

Super Grafx:
1941: Counter Attack - 45 min.

PC-Engine CD:
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair - 50 min.

PC-Engine:
Street Fighter II': Champion Edition - 25 min.

Turbo Grafx 16:
New Adventure Island - 30 min.

Turbo Grafx 16 CD:
Ys Book I - 60 min.

PlayStation:
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed - 50 min.

Edited by twoquickcapri
  • Like 2

Hm, aren't PC Engine and Turbo Grafx 16 the same thing, just like NES and Famicom, SNES and SFC, Genesis and Mega Drive etc are the same thing? Same question about the CD versions, are they different?

I count them under the same heading since the hardware is indeed identical (except for some changes in the card slot pinout), but the way twoquickcapri listed them has the merit of helping me to quickly differentiate between US and Japanese versions of games.

• Like 3

7800 Desert Falcon Gameplay video to check out - Expert Setting under "Any Tactics" (You can sit and shoot freely).

On the last 2 Desert Falcon Contests at 7800 High Score Club, I had to follow a special rule:

"SIT AND SHOOT IS NOT ALLOWED... ONLY STOP TO CLEAR A PATH, DON'T SHOOT IN ONE PLACE TO EARN POINTS."

Check out 2 last Desert Falcon contests at 7800 HSC:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217038-7800-hsc-season-6-game-12-desert-falcon/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226312-7800-hsc-season-7-game-5-desert-falcon/

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 2, running from January 5 - 11. We logged 3738 minutes of eligible play, playing 68 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Humans, The (Genesis) - 527

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 445

3. Hydlide (NES/Famicom) - 303

4. Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny (PC (DOS)) - 263

5. Desert Falcon (Atari 7800) - 255

6. Lingo (Game Boy) - 179

7. Baby Pac-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 130

7. Caterpillar/Cat-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 130

9. Bleach Pac-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 100

10. Artillery Duel (ColecoVision) - 90

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 445

2. Desert Falcon (Atari 7800) - 255

3. Baby Pac-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 130

3. Caterpillar/Cat-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 130

5. Bleach Pac-Man [hack] (Atari 7800) - 100

6. Artillery Duel (ColecoVision) - 90

7. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 60

8. Gateway to Apshai (ColecoVision) - 45

9. Montezuma's Revenge (ColecoVision) - 25

10. Knightmare (MSX) - 24

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (750)

2. Atari 7800 (690)

3. NES/Famicom (513)

4. Atari 2600 (467)

5. ColecoVision (290)

6. PC (DOS) (263)

7. Game Boy (181)

8. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (110)

9. PlayStation (80)

10. Atari Jaguar (60)

10. SNES (60)

It's the Genesis on top for the first time in a while, edging out Kaboom on the individual charts with caveman puzzler The Humans, and topping a consortium of Atari 7800 games on the system charts to take #1.

The Humans also "evolves" into the 1000-minute club, becoming its 143rd member with 1252 minutes to date.

• Like 3

I count them under the same heading since the hardware is indeed identical (except for some changes in the card slot pinout), but the way twoquickcapri listed them has the merit of helping me to quickly differentiate between US and Japanese versions of games.

What he said.

Hm, aren't PC Engine and Turbo Grafx 16 the same thing, just like NES and Famicom, SNES and SFC, Genesis and Mega Drive etc are the same thing? Same question about the CD versions, are they different?

If Jaguar CD has its own category the shouldn't Turbo CD?

• Like 2

You know, it really should. :) It looks like somehow that never happened -- I'm guessing through a combination of me not knowing the TG/PC Engine library, and maybe posts where they were mixed together. The TG-16 hasn't seen much action in a while, so I think it probably dates back a bit.

OK, here's the list of Turbografx-16/PC Engine games in my spreadsheet. Can someone go through and bold the ones that should be listed as CD games? A few I know already, like Rondo of Blood, Ys, and Cosmic Fantasy 2. (EDIT: I just checked this myself, see next post.)

Afterburner 2
Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Atlantean
Atomic Robo-Kid Special
Batman
Battle Royale
Blazing Lazers
Bloody Wolf
Bomberman
Bomberman '93
Bomberman '94
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Boxy Boy
Cadash
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Chew-Man-Fu
China Warrior
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Cratermaze
Cyber-Core
Dead Moon
Deep Blue
Devil's Crush
Don Doko Don
Double Dungeons
Dragon Spirit
Drop Off
Dungeon Explorer
Exile
Exile II: Wicked Phenomenon
Fantasy Zone
Fighting Street (Street Fighter)
Final Lap Twin
Final Soldier
Galaga '90 [aka Galaga '88]
Ghost Manor
Gunhed
Heavy Unit
Image Fight
Jackie Chan Action Kung Fu
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
Klax
Legend of Hero Tonma
Legendary Axe
Legendary Axe II
Lode Runner
Magical Chase
Magical Dinosaur Tour
Military Madness
Monster Lair
Moto Roader
Mysterious Song
Naxat Stadium
Neutopia
New Adventure Island
Night Creatures
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Spirit
Pac-land
Parasol Stars
PC Denjin
Photo Kid
Popful Mail: Magical Fantasy Adventure
Power Golf
Power League
Power League '93
Power League II
Power League III
Power League IV
Power League V
R-Type
R-Type (PC Engine version)
Raiden
Rom Rom Baseball
Salamander
Shinobi
Side Arms
Soldier Blade
Space Harrier
Splash Lake
Splatterhouse
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Super Star Soldier
Takin' It to the Hoop
Talespin
Tennis (unknown which one)
Tiger Road
Time Cruise
Timeball
Tricky Kick
TV Sports Basketball
Victory Run
Vigilante
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (JPN)
World Class Baseball
World Court Tennis
World Sports Competition
Yo Bro
Ys Book I & II
Ys III - Wanderer From Ys
  • Like 2

OK, here are the games I believe are CD games:

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile
Exile II: Wicked Phenomenon
Fighting Street (Street Fighter)
Magical Dinosaur Tour
Mysterious Song
Popful Mail: Magical Fantasy Adventure
Splash Lake
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (JPN) = Monster Lair (US)
Ys Book I & II
Ys III - Wanderer From Ys
Is this correct?
Also, a few questions:
- Are the two regional releases of Monster Lair identical except for the packaging and title screen? After a glance at YouTube, it looks likely.
- I couldn't identify Rom Rom Baseball (posted by cvga last year). Is that actually World Class Baseball? (EDIT: Looks like it's Rom Rom Stadium, a CD game.)
- And then there's that unidentified Tennis game...there are four options, so no easy answer. Maybe I should just delete it, since it was only 15 minutes logged in 2010.
  • Like 2

Assuming the above list is correct (not sure whether Rom Rom Baseball will turn out to be HuCard or CD), I've changed the totals for 2014 in the old thread.

We had 604 minutes played on the TG-CD/PC Engine CD last year, so that's counted separately now (at #30 of 60 systems), and the TG-16/PC Engine drops from #19 to #23 as a result.

The all-time total for the TG-CD/PC Engine CD appears to be 2666 minutes (not counting this week), vs. 9104 minutes for the regular HuCard games. When I next run the all-time totals (probably in June), we'll see how that changes things.

I've also updated the Week 2 numbers, so with the exception of clarifying "Rom Rom Baseball", I think we're finally sorted on the PC Engine front. Thanks for prompting me to take care of that. :)

EDIT: OK, I'm pretty sure Rom Rom Baseball is actually Rom Rom Stadium, which is a CD game. Numbers above will be adjusted accordingly. :)

• Like 3

Bonk 3 is both a CD and a Hucard game.

OK, thanks for that. There's only a single post to date with Bonk 3, and the other two games played were Alien Crush and Devil's Crush, so I'm going to keep the existing entry as HuCard.

Did you spot any other issues or does it look good otherwise?

• Like 1

I start to feel sorry,

I used to play emulated, well some lurk still around, SMS, SNES, A500 & A4000, i am awaiting a "brand new" inty (it's in a fantastic condition, like bought right yesterday).

But i have no suitable monitor or TV, the tv i have forgone willingly he used to keep me from working (working what? i thought you are unemployed).

Also i would really need to track my times, i can't remember, i even exactly can't remember what i played.

But it's bookmarked and it's told emulated is accepted under certain conditions, well this is a certain condition, i'm a poor bastard.

It's a cute idea, it seems such was needed to force me diggin' out the old hardware and a old monitor or TV i will have to buy me, what for i bought me a 30year old console?.

And forcing me to clean up my horrible mess in my living room, i need space for the machines

(damned where, it looks like there is no, the scanner has found temporary a resting place on my turntable, such is the situation).

• Like 3

Perhaps the floating Swiss Franc now will also make second hand stuff more expensive? I pick up 14" TV's with SCART for equal to 5 Euros from the goodwill stores. Any TV that is priced above 8 Euros is a no-go for me.

Anyway, here are my times for the week. We're preparing a retro gaming exhibition in two weeks, and it turns out a big part of the gaming room will consist of items from my collection. While I already knew what worked (last time), I decided to go through it and pack it one by one after testing, which explains the relatively large amount of systems:

Atari 8-bit:
Boulder Dash - 9 min.
Bruce Lee - 18 min.
Satan's Hollow - 2 min.
The Atari 8-bit games were played on a XEGS with AtariMax cartridge. Not all games can be played on a XEGS, depending on the method of starting them, but the majority are based on the Option, Select, Start buttons and/or joystick fire buttons, which increases compatibility quite a bit beyond what originally was available on cartridge.
C64:
Giana Sisters - 12 min.
Famicom:
Arkanoid - 12 min.
Galaga - 3 min.
Super Mario Bros 3 - 7 min.
Mega Drive:
Elitserien 95 - 13 min.
This is the localized version of NHL '94 or '95, in which Sega and EA put quite a bit of effort back in the days to license for the Swedish market. The best part of this game is that it contains the icehockey team of my city, a team rarely seen in the highest division so it was very suitable of them to make a video game that particular season... ;-)
SG-1000:
Exerion - 4 min.
Played on a SC-3000 this time, rather than a MSX with softloaded ROMs.
Super Cassette Vision:
Astrowars II: Battle in Galaxy - 8 min.
I've been bidding on more games for this one, but sadly so far been outbid so for the moment I'll have to enjoy the two I've got.
Tandy TRS-80 CoCo:
Galactic Attack - 3 min.
This one actually is not mine, but a friend of mine who brought it to have it tested. It took several minutes of cleaning the cartridge connectors with electronics cleaner and a bit of paper before it was clean enough to make contact to the computer! The paper got so dirty that we joked about perhaps it was not electronics cleaner, but sulphuric acid in the spray can so he wiped off the metal pins off the cartridge.
  • Like 2

NES

Castlevania 2: 17 min

Mega Man 3: 141 min

C16/Plus4

30 min (can't remember which games exactly)

Schneider/Amstrad CPC

Punchy: 12 min

Mega Drive

Tiny Toons Busters Hidden Treasure: 20 min

This week saw me trying and failing miserably at Megaman 3, as well as messing around a little with my recent flea market find: Castlevania 2. Too hard for me as well. A new ship in my computer fleet is the Schneider CPC - super old school with original greenscreen monitor. I have it since xmas now (friend gave it to me), but it took me a little while to track down some software to test it.

• Like 2