IGNORED

Wii and Wii U on same tv?

DracIsBack

I have both Wii and Wii U connected to the same TV. I just stacked the sensor bars like a staircase and taped the top bar onto the lower sensor bar. I offset the top sensor bar backwards, behind the clear plastic of the lower bar, to be sure the lower bar's sensors had access to light or receiving angles on top. I only use one console at a time.

• Like 2

I have both Wii and Wii U connected to the same TV. I just stacked the sensor bars like a staircase and taped the top bar onto the lower sensor bar. I offset the top sensor bar backwards, behind the clear plastic of the lower bar, to be sure the lower bar's sensors had access to light or receiving angles on top. I only use one console at a time.

I did something similar (but more lazy) - I just placed the Wii-U bar on top of the Wii bar. Both work fine.

Or wire it up to a power source that's always on. There's probably 3rd party examples that could do this so they didn't have to be tethered to the console or depend on a battery, but if not, modding one appears to be simple.

A quick search reveals quite a few that have done this, including some that have wired it up for USB and connected it to a USB port on their cable box or tv so that it's always on.

Edited by Atariboy

The Wii/Wii U sensor bar is just an array of IR lights. The cable running to the console is merely for powering the lights. No actual communications occur between the sensor bar and the console or the sensor bar and the Wii remote.

Edited by Atariboy

Anyone have a Wii and Wii U on the same tv?

Do you disconnect and reconnect the sensor bar?

For us (when using Wii games), the Wii U system is actually preferred over the Wii system due to the graphics looking better via HDMI so the Wii U sensor bar is always in the direct center of the television (resting on the top).

We use the Wii system strictly as the "picture in picture" system for whenever there are lots of kids over and the Wii system has to be used at the same time along with the Wii U. Sometimes kids just don't want to all play the same game.

The Wii sensor bar is positioned on the top right side of the television however centered perfectly for the Wii games when it is being displayed as the second picture.

So neither sensor bars ever need to be disconnected.

Edited by TheGreatPW

I'm surprised that two sensor bars in close proximity to each other aren't throwing things off by confusing your Wii remotes.

For us (when using Wii games), the Wii U system is actually preferred over the Wii system due to the graphics looking better via HDMI

They probably look better because the Wii U is doing the upscaling for you, rather than leaving it for the television to do.

You could use a single sensor bar and make sure whichever system it's connected to is powered when you play. Or use a single battery-powered one.

The wireless one is a good solution. It will synch to whatever Wii you are using at the time. I ran this setup for a while before packing up my Wii

I'm curious why wouldn't you just play the Wii games on the Wii U? Homebrew channel?

Wii u not GCN compatable and I find wii games look better to me on the wii than the U. The screen gets cut I think but for sure the picture is just not as sharp.

But I know everyone believes the upscale story and whatnot but me and the kids almost never wii mode the wii U.

If the wii u was gcn compatable I would just use the U and deal with the picture quality.

Wii u not GCN compatable and I find wii games look better to me on the wii than the U. The screen gets cut I think but for sure the picture is just not as sharp.

But I know everyone believes the upscale story and whatnot but me and the kids almost never wii mode the wii U.

If the wii u was gcn compatable I would just use the U and deal with the picture quality.

Fair enough - though we've not really noticed any differences.

I've been playing Skyward Sword on the Wii U and really enjoy it. I have component cables, so maybe I'll do a comparison as suggested, but I had assumed the video output of the Wii was significantly worse, color range and upscaling. I didn't notice any screen cutoff, but now I want to look into it myself. I also played skyward sword on the gamepad, leaving the sensor bar in place and aligning myself with it on my couch, so my girlfriend could watch a show, and it worked fine. For the first time I used that wii u pad stand, hahaha

Wii U doesn't cut anything off. If he's missing anything on a HDTV, it's his tv or receiver's fault for overscanning.

Wii software tended to underscan anyways with a small black border around the picture in many 16:9 enabled releases, so he must have a ton of overscan if picture is cut off on his HDTV.

The only cropping issue occurs with Wii U and standard definition (And perhaps 480p), which it doesn't properly support. A good bit of the sides of the picture will be missing from its letterboxed output, which is compounded by the overscanning that most CRT's have.

And even there, that's only for the Wii U side (And doesn't apply to the Virtual Console, which does seem to output a proper picture). Jump into Wii mode and it's fine.

Edited by Atariboy

• 4 months later...