IGNORED

u1mb help 600xl install

Jinks

Ok so I got my u1mb and side 2 today.

So I installed this in my 600xl. I folled some directions online as there is no directions for this machine. I soldered up halt ph12 rw and reset to the atari then soldered to the u1mb and plugged in the jumper harnesses. As there is no room to install this on a rf 600xl i cut the top tin piece out some to gain a bit of room and managed to cram it in the rhs cornor and get the keyboard on. Problem is now the red power light doent come on and nothing happens..Any ideas? The power circut should be the same and unchanged with this installed? I feel like shit as took 4 hours to install(set up, reading various website articles, and then failure)

Did you test before you reassembled everything? Case open, board connected, but nothing "crammed together"?

No power LED says short circuit somewhere... perhaps something's touching the RF shielding that shouldn't be. The shielding could be eliminated entirely, if need be.

This is how I installed my U1MB in my 600XL. Used a piece of plastic on top of the battery, so that it won't touch any metal parts under the keyboard. I also did not install the shield back rather than cutting a piece out of it. The shield doesn't really make any difference, at least it doesn't in my setup.

Now you should remove the upgrade and put the original chips back to test the machine to see if it works. I just hope you haven't shorted anything.

post-15627-0-78669200-1420246644_thumb.jpg

What can I check on the U1mb to verify a no power? Very happy my 600 is not a doorstop. I am thankfull for your help! I got this as a christmas present as came today in the mail so was excited to get up and running... I am hopefull on figuring it out.

Shorted on which end? I had the u1mb with my halt r/w reset etc wires hooked up when the original os chips were installed and it worked. The only other hookups are the ribbons that are in. I resoldered the connectors on the u1mb and the board its wired on top of the board and they are tight.

http://obsolescenceguaranteed.blogspot.ca/2013/12/a-journey-into-atari-xl.html?m=1

I used this guy as a reference for the main board hook up points.

The u1mb card I used connector p2 and soldered in ph12, r/w, rst, hlt going from the outside to the centre of the board to what shows as hookup points on the aux connector.. Is all the right?

I really can't say which end... I'm speculating here because when I've been messing with one of my machines and it suddenly dies, it's usually because I've shorted something. How about this: are the ribbon cable connectors in the sockets the right way up?

I dont know for 100% sure they are the right way..I put the red stripes on pin 1 on the u1mb board 20 pin on atari down and 28 pin up?

Nice photos in that article - I took the photo of the machine with the SIO2SD in it while I was building it. :)

As for orientation: use the picture of the 800XL with the SIO2SD in the top right corner as a reference. You can see the orientation at both ends of both cables by following the red stripe.

In the other pictue on the article thatv20 pin connector goes down but cant see where the red ribbon is. I put mine up now to match the 800xl and now at least it powers up( to a light yellow screen tho..) :(

Edit. maybe cause I am using a plasma the scanlines for the u1mb screen are not compatable for this display. I can hear noises when I move the joystick like when I press the fire button etc..

A big thank you once again for those willing to help. perhaps it may come as a help thread for someone else experiencing problems on install. Yeah I know 4 wires 8 solder connections 4 on the atari board that are not really spelled out for a guy and 4 that are labeled on the u1mb board and 4 plugs that can go on 2 different ways each what can go wrong right??

One thought I have is one out of every 50 or so times the orignal OS wont start just sits and buzzes. I heard someone else had a problem like that as the u1mb probably takes more power to fire up and maybe my amperage is low?

Did you upgrade your 600XL to 64K?. I believe U1MB requires that the computer has full 64K before it can be installed. If you did upgrade it to 64K your 600XL may change behaviour. Specifically it will now need more time between the ON and OFF states for the 64x4 RAM chips to clear. In other words you need to turn it OFF and wait for a few seconds before you turn it back ON. If you don't you may experience symptoms like you mentioned. Or you can just jump into the self-test mode and press reset to cold-start, you don't have to wait then.

I will try to get a few close-up photos of my 600XL installation for you so you can check your connections, although depending on where you've got your installation instructions, your connection points on the mobo may be different from my implementation.

Edited by atari8warez