IGNORED

ADT-PRO

airsoftmodels

Have you continuity-checked the cable from right where it leaves the SSC all the way to the DB9 serial port on the PC?

I'm also a big proponent of proper grounding - having had my shares of mishaps, blowups, and battles with interference. Also, if I don't understand what a connection does, and it's supposed to be there, then it gets put there.

---

There's also the possibility of testing ADT on your PC side with AppleWin and a com port emulator. It should catch everything right up to the com port driver. Yup, you can bootstrap AppleWin if you so desire.

Edited by Keatah

I'm using the dagram on this page, "RS232 DB25 to DB9 converter". I found the same diagram on another site, so I would assume it doesn't have typos. I haven't made continuity tests along the entire cable, that is something I can consider.

https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html

The serial port on the PC works with the same DE9F-DE9M cable to my N8VEM Z80 SBC board, at the same 9600 baud which I understand that 14B corresponds to. I don't know about word length, stop bits, parity etc though, but the SSC is setup according to the ADT Pro manual and I would assume the PC software part also configures the serial port as it is supposed to.

Once you have a verified good cable. I suppose the next thing to check are the settings. I have my legacy Windows XP 32-bit machine set like so.

Windows Com2 9600 8N1 FlowControl off. Fifo buffers High

BIOS Serial Port 1 3F8/IRQ4

BIOS Serial Port 2 2F8/IRQ3

SSC - like the website says.

ADT SERVER PORT Com2, 115200

ADT SERVER BOOTSTRAPPING Pacing 250 Speed 2400

I completed some disk transfers last month with these settings.

Edited by Keatah

I can't understand why it would say connected if it didn't think it was working.

The "Connected" indication is meaningless in this context. It simply means that the hardware serial port is available and engaged from the server's perspective, and it can start pushing/pulling bits on it. It doesn't indicate that there's something on the other end of that serial port that it is talking to.

Good morning David,

here is the challenged. If you already knew how to make transfer ProFile 5 Mb ( SOS format) on Apple /// from my PC to my Apple /// ? Because I do NOT know how to installing complex SOS system on ProFile alone. It would be much easier to transfer ready disk image 5 Mb SOS format ready with ready system and software. Will it works ?

The "Connected" indication is meaningless in this context. It simply means that the hardware serial port is available and engaged from the server's perspective, and it can start pushing/pulling bits on it. It doesn't indicate that there's something on the other end of that serial port that it is talking to.

Now that ADT is pretty well seasoned and all, have you thought about developing some diagnostics to help newcomers narrow down problems? Cable/connectivity tests and maybe other stuff I'm too lazy to think about right now.

Now that ADT is pretty well seasoned and all, have you thought about developing some diagnostics to help newcomers narrow down problems? Cable/connectivity tests and maybe other stuff I'm too lazy to think about right now.

Maybe you mean ADTPro? It's different than ADT.

There is an audio tester because it lends itself to sending continuous 'pings' until the other side can hear while you fiddle with volume settings, etc. that makes it useful for tuning. But Serial is kind of binary in this regard: either you've got the right cable wiring, or it won't work. Also, you've got to use the right operating system-level hardware abstraction (COM port or /dev/xyz device) that maps to your physical port, or it won't work. From either client or server perspective, there's no way to see into the physicality of the connection in between to do anything meaningful. "(D)IR" remains a canonical test for serial connectivity. And when you get "host timeout," that means the connection isn't correct yet.

here is the challenged. If you already knew how to make transfer ProFile 5 Mb ( SOS format) on Apple /// from my PC to my Apple /// ? Because I do NOT know how to installing complex SOS system on ProFile alone. It would be much easier to transfer ready disk image 5 Mb SOS format ready with ready system and software. Will it works ?

Yes, that would work. It would take a long time to transfer 5MB (though a lot of it would probably be blank, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad). But remember: you aren't installing SOS on a ProFile; SOS really only lives on the boot floppy! All you need to do with a ProFile is format or erase it and lay down the SOS (which is identical to ProDOS) filesystem structure. (Which any formatting utility, including SOS Utilities, would do for you.)

Maybe changing it to say Serial Port Open or something like that would be more appropriate.

Don't worry, I didn't take it as criticism. I'm honestly sympathetic to anyone who uses the audio interface. Once you get past the "wow, I can't believe this works at all!" it wears thin pretty quickly. :-)

Hi - happy to be of service.

The audio transfer may be slow, but it's also awesome.

Thanks so much for making this great utility!

• Like 1

I can't get ADTPro working on Windows 98SE, something about Java being out of date. Anyone here know if Windows 2000 will work?

Regardless of OS - you'll need a fairly recent version of Java on the host. A 32-bit Windows is a base requirement for the serial libraries. Windows 2000 may work - XP is a better bet. If you want to go all the way back to Windows 98, you might want to look at using the old ADT (not ADTPro) server:

https://github.com/david-schmidt/adt/releases/tag/v2.4

Edited by david__schmidt
  • Like 1

The audio transfer may be slow, but it's also awesome.

There is some chatter over on comp.sys.apple2 on (vastly) speeding up audio encoding; if they settle on a reliable rate, and I get ambitious - I'll incorporate that and we should benefit.

Thanks so much for making this great utility!

Sure thing. I made it because I wanted it. I'm happy others find it useful.

• Like 1

Regardless of OS - you'll need a fairly recent version of Java on the host. A 32-bit Windows is a base requirement for the serial libraries. Windows 2000 may work - XP is a better bet. If you want to go all the way back to Windows 98, you might want to look at using the old ADT (not ADTPro) server:

https://github.com/david-schmidt/adt/releases/tag/v2.4

I tried old ADT for DOS and it didn't seem compatible with the ADT Pro disk I have for Apple //e. Can you please tell me what the minimum Java version is needed for Win32 ADT Pro? I think the final Java update for Windows 2000 is Java 6 update 27, will that work?

The problem here is I'd prefer to use my AMD K6-2 based desktop PC for writing to my Apple //e, since they're both right next to each other. The problem is Windows 98SE all that PC has currently. I don't think XP would run very well if at all.

I tried old ADT for DOS and it didn't seem compatible with the ADT Pro disk I have for Apple //e.

Do you have any other means of using ADTPro? If so, you can build yourself a DOS-based ADT disk to bootstrap with:

http://adtpro.com/bootstrap.html#Bootstrapping_DOS

Can you please tell me what the minimum Java version is needed for Win32 ADT Pro? I think the final Java update for Windows 2000 is Java 6 update 27, will that work?

Good question. I can't, definitively. Java 6 should be OK, though. I would only expect the rxtx library to run on an NT kernel (i.e. not Win 9x).

Edited by david__schmidt
  • Like 1

Well, clicking on the SERIAL button and the server responding with CONNECTED means it is connected to the Apple II and ready to roll.

Except it doesn't. It means the server established a good connection to a serial device (at the host end) and it's ready to talk to that. There's no way to know if you're "ready to roll" unless/until a command comes through that connection. The server is just that - a server. Commands come in from a client attached to the server. When you mash the button, it doesn't magically make an Apple II appear at the other end.

Do you have any other means of using ADTPro? If so, you can build yourself a DOS-based ADT disk to bootstrap with:

http://adtpro.com/bootstrap.html#Bootstrapping_DOS

Good question. I can't, definitively. Java 6 should be OK, though. I would only expect the rxtx library to run on an NT kernel (i.e. not Win 9x).

To be honest, I'd rather dual boot Windows 2000 and 98SE than use a DOS boot disk.

I'm rather disappointed that ADT Pro for Windows doesn't work on 98SE. One would think that'd be a great task for an older machine, or a retro gaming PC, one that actually has a serial port built-in. It just seems excessive to me to be using a really recent PC for talking to an Apple //e.

Edited by Koopa64