Photo

ADT-PRO

78 replies to this topic

#76 david__schmidt OFFLINE  

david__schmidt

Chopper Commander

• 163 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:01 PM

I'm rather disappointed that ADT Pro for Windows doesn't work on 98SE.

It's a matter of it being able to have prereqs enough to support Java (which isn't too hard) and the rxtx serial library (which is a little more OS-specific).  Back in the olden days of yore, Sun maintained serial comms libraries for wherever their JVM ran.  Now, we're not so lucky.

#77 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,311 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:14 PM

Any chance or consideration of porting ADTpro over to something more well-received? Something other than Java? Java, to me, is a dotcom era language.

#78 david__schmidt OFFLINE  

david__schmidt

Chopper Commander

• 163 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:20 PM

Any chance or consideration of porting ADTpro over to something more well-received? Something other than Java? Java, to me, is a dotcom era language.

That's the downside of you getting to use something that I built because I want it.  I use Java daily at work - so it's very comfortable for me.  It's very much a "today" language for me.  I get threats from time to time that folks are going to port it to [insert your favorite language du jour here] but it never quite happens.  So... no.

#79 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 7,529 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:47 AM

As long as there are freely available JRE's for the range of host systems ADTPro is intended to run on, I don't see the choice of programming language much of a matter. Actually I'm happily amazed how nicely it seems to run (*) even on a bit older XP computer, when otherwise Java apps tend to appear a little on the sluggish side.

(*) Although I have my slew of own problems, but those are attributed to other factors than that it is a Java program.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users