Colecovision and flashback controller difference

3 replies to this topic

#1 pimpmaul69 OFFLINE  

pimpmaul69

River Patroller

• 4,863 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Technician

Posted Mon Jan 5, 2015 10:39 PM

I thought i saw a discussion on this but doing a search brings up nothing. As far as pinouts and circuits what are the differences. I wanted to make a splitter for a colecovision flashback controller and an atari joystick. I thought i had seen somewhere that the flashback coleco had a chip in the controller. Any help is appreciated. And i apologize as im sure there is another topic on it.

#2 thevnaguy OFFLINE  

thevnaguy

Stargunner

• 1,270 posts
  • Need more Retro games!

Posted Tue Jan 6, 2015 4:43 PM

Here are some pics of mine from my experiments (there is no chip in the flashback controller :) ).  I was able to breadboard a controller to work.  Keep in mind that the directional inputs need 1k resistance on each input.

Looking at the original coleco controller, you see tons of diodes and only 7 of the 9 ports being used in the plug.   the flashback uses all 9 ports in the plug.   the original coleco controller encoded the keyboard inputs in the controller then passed them out on the 7 pins to the coleco.   The Flashback uses 9 pins to encoded the keyboard which is one of the major reasons the flashback controllers are not backwards compatible nor can a original controller plugged into the flashback.  

I have considered on making a controller for my flashback, but dont really see the point. rather make one for my original colecovision and/or put a usb out on it for any emulator I want to use on the PC for the colecovision and such :)

coleco flashback pins.jpg coleco pins.jpg colecoflashbackcloseuppins.jpg DSCF4128.JPG DSCF4129.JPG

#3 pimpmaul69 OFFLINE  

pimpmaul69

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,863 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Technician

Posted Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:33 PM

Thank you.

#4 Indcsion ONLINE  

Indcsion

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:30 AM

Is the pinout different on the adam controller?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users