IGNORED

The first Nintendo Product?

Hi All,

I am going to assume that everyone has owned at least one Nintendo product in their lives :) The question is what is the first Nintendo product you ever owned, and what are your memories of that experience?

For me it was around 1991, and it was the Gameboy. I was in the hospital for an operation for a week, and my uncle brought me a Gameboy and 5 games. My favorite was The Flash. I played it all the way to the end. It really helped me tune out the unpleasant situation I was in. Thanks Nintendo.

The first item I owned that had anything to do with Nintendo was Donkey Kong for the Atari 2600. It was among the very first Atari 2600 cartridges I owned, given to me the same Christmas as my first Atari. One of my mother's favorite stories from my childhood is how the cartridge disappeared one day, apparently because I accidentally knocked it into a trash can.

The first item I owned actually made by Nintendo was the original Game Boy, which I bought new. I bought it somewhat begrudgingly. I wanted an Atari Lynx, but by then I was aware that Atari was getting a bad reputation in the marketplace and tended not to have the best support for their systems. About a year later, I noticed the Lynx was still alive and well, and getting a lot of really good games for it, so I made rumblings about still wanting a Lynx. Sure enough Santa left a Lynx under the tree that year, and early the following year I sold the Game Boy. Of course the Atari snake-bite prevailed and the Lynx faded from the market soon after anyway, but hey, you still couldn't play RoadBlasters or S.T.U.N. Runner on the Game Boy, so I had no regrets.

• Like 2

Ironically, I have never owned a Nintendo game system. In terms of game consoles, I went from Atari 2600 (sold it in 1983) -> PSX (bought it used in 2004).

I was going to buy a used N64, but it sold before I contacted the vendor; I bought the PSX instead.

I briefly considered a Wii Mini when they launched in Canada, but the games that appeal to me are mostly rare and expensive.

I do have an original ROB (no accessories) that I found at a thrift shop. He sits atop my entertainment centre.

• Like 1

My first true Nintendo product was Mario's Cement Factory Game & Watch purchased at Epcot Center in 1984. I actually used it as my morning alarm clock for about 10 years.

I'm fairly certain that my family owned the Intellivision version of Donkey Kong before that. But I don't consider that a true Nintendo product, just a licensed product.

• Like 1

As far as an actual Nintendo produced product, it'd have to be my buddy's NES that he gave me once he got an NES. Spent so much time on that console with a buddy when we were kids. Still have it too! First new product would be the N64 that my girlfriend (now wife) got me for my birthday. It was real late in that generation, but still an awesome gift!!

• Like 1

It was this one, a Mario Bros Game & Watch that my dad brought back from an overseas business trip sometime between 1985 - 1988. Probably the first home video game I owned, so I thought it was pretty cool. Sometimes my best friend and I would would take a side and play it 2-player style. Even after we got an NES in '88, I would still play this from time to time. Not so much after we got a Game Boy, but at least I never lost or sold it. Thanks, Dad.

post-26529-0-75869500-1420730315_thumb.jpg

• Like 3