IGNORED

New to the ST Platform

I have always been interested in an ST from the 80s forward. Lately I have renewed my lust for retro hardware. It started a couple of years ago and I collected all the Intellivision equipment and games. Then I picked up my Atari 8-bit collecting again and now I have started my first ST experience by buying this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-MEGA-STE-Computer-4MB-Memory-Atari-SC1224-Monitor-Keyboard-and-Mouse-/161550074328?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=9k2q80AmfrG2hjIFTQaLRnx4R4Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I am still waiting for it to be delivered.

I signed up for the CosmoEx for obvious reasons, but I am looking for suggestions of other handy hardware, software and modification suggestions.

That is a real beauty. I have one myself. I would say definitely get a SCSI-to-IDE adapter and couple that with an IDE-to-CF adapter, so you can use compact flash internally to boot. If not, get yourself an UltraSatan external and use SD's. I invested in Uwe's HDDRIVER (http://hddriver.seimet.de/) and I've never been sorry. Also, while the SC1224 feels nice for nostalgic purposes, get yourself a VGA cable and an Ambery box and run that puppy on a standard VGA monitor or, better yet, your big screen HD joint. Read up on it here: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/monadapt.htm.

Here are some titles that really shine on an STe:

- Obsession Pinball

- Asteroidia

- Dynabuster+

Other ST titles to mention:

- Xenon 2

- Space Quest III

- Ultima V

- Eye of the Beholder

- David Addison's Monopoly

Welcome home. We missed you.

I have always been interested in an ST from the 80s forward. Lately I have renewed my lust for retro hardware. It started a couple of years ago and I collected all the Intellivision equipment and games. Then I picked up my Atari 8-bit collecting again and now I have started my first ST experience by buying this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-MEGA-STE-Computer-4MB-Memory-Atari-SC1224-Monitor-Keyboard-and-Mouse-/161550074328?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=9k2q80AmfrG2hjIFTQaLRnx4R4Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Just an observation ... The keyboard looks like the Mega ST keyboard and not the one for Mega STEs? Anyhow it does the same job!

I had a Mega STE but swapped it for a Falcon030 in about 1995! :)

That is a real beauty. I have one myself. I would say definitely get a SCSI-to-IDE adapter and couple that with an IDE-to-CF adapter, so you can use compact flash internally to boot. If not, get yourself an UltraSatan external and use SD's. I invested in Uwe's HDDRIVER (http://hddriver.seimet.de/) and I've never been sorry. Also, while the SC1224 feels nice for nostalgic purposes, get yourself a VGA cable and an Ambery box and run that puppy on a standard VGA monitor or, better yet, your big screen HD joint. Read up on it here: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/monadapt.htm.

Here are some titles that really shine on an STe:

- Obsession Pinball

- Asteroidia

- Dynabuster+

Other ST titles to mention:

- Xenon 2

- Space Quest III

- Ultima V

- Eye of the Beholder

- David Addison's Monopoly

Welcome home. We missed you.

Thanks for the info. I will probably stay with the Atari monitor for a bit while I get familiar with the ST. Definitely looking into some mass storage. Ultima, I've played 1-4 on the 8-bit. I always wanted to play 5, but not available on the 8-bit. I do like pinball.

Dear God ... Why on Earth some should use SCSI-IDE adapter on Mega STE , and even pay extra for that stoopid solution ?

Much better solution is to get something what connects to ACSI port . And that's already planned by SoulBuster .

Explanation: Mega STE's SCSI adapter is limited to 1GB storage space, what means that you will waste 3/4 of your 4 GB CF card - and hardly will find smaller now.

Another thing is that SD cards are cheaper and easier to find. So, you need Cosmos Ex and nothing more.

Everyone has right to write here his opinion, but should first think about self, and judge properly his level of knowledge. Because this is sad.

Even recommended game list from pixelm. contains serious error: there is no Eye of the Beholder for ST computers :-D

Then, instead VGA converter should go on straight solution - there are LCD monitors capable to display all ST resolutions - see threads about it here.

More complains: that Atarimania top 100 list is by user votes. And while tastes are different, there are some really strange titles, and titles on strange places :)

Pablo and the Gold of Montezuma is average game in best case. I'm pretty sure that it got high rates from only 1 persona. And I even tested how it is possible (that's why it went not in top 10 !): voting there allows only 1 vote from 1 IP address. So, if your IS provider changes frequently your IP, you can vote many times. Or just use proxy.

Atarimania should change voting system, and list only titles which got at least some 200 votes.

Much better top list is made by Joy of Sticks - use Google to find it.

Dear God ... Why on Earth some should use SCSI-IDE adapter on Mega STE...Much better solution is to get something what connects to ACSI port .

For me, the "why" was so I could have a storage solution that was internal.

Explanation: Mega STE's SCSI adapter is limited to 1GB storage space, what means that you will waste 3/4 of your 4 GB CF card - and hardly will find smaller now.

The difference between 1GB and 4GB on a machine that shipped with a 48MB hard drive is academic. As far as wasting 3GB of a 4GB CF, they cost nothing. Having a solid state storage solution internal to the box is quite satisfying.

Another thing is that SD cards are cheaper and easier to find. So, you need Cosmos Ex and nothing more.

Using a vastly more powerful computer as a peripheral emulator for an Atari computer doesn't make sense to me. I thought that offering solutions "closer to the metal" might be welcome.

Everyone has right to write here his opinion, but should first think about self, and judge properly his level of knowledge. Because this is sad.

My level of knowledge is more than sufficient to offer the solutions I did, and I maintain that as a matter of convenience, nostalgia, and price, my solution crushed the CosmoEx.

Even recommended game list from pixelm. contains serious error: there is no Eye of the Beholder for ST computers :-D

"Game List" and "serious error" really don't belong in the same sentence. That said, yeah. Fine.

Then, instead VGA converter should go on straight solution - there are LCD monitors capable to display all ST resolutions - see threads about it here.

It's true. There are a few LCD monitors that will display Atari ST resolutions. Or he could just future-proof the solution and open it up to any modern display by buying the converter.

...and even pay extra for that stoopid solution ?

Be careful with words like "stoopid". Someone might be incline to tell you to go f%&k yourself. Edited by pixelmischief

I started this thread to get info about what others are using so I can do the research myself. I am sure I will find other things that won't be mentioned here. It's all good. I want to learn what is out there and how it was used even when there is a better solution. Hell, I still use a Black Box and 3 RLL drives on My 8-bit even though I have a Side 2 and Ultimate 1 meg. I still use individual OSS programming carts even though I have the 5 in one. I still have an Incognito that I have yet to install into my 800.

All input is welcome, including older solutions.

I started this thread to get info about what others are using so I can do the research myself. I am sure I will find other things that won't be mentioned here. It's all good. I want to learn what is out there and how it was used even when there is a better solution. Hell, I still use a Black Box and 3 RLL drives on My 8-bit even though I have a Side 2 and Ultimate 1 meg. I still use individual OSS programming carts even though I have the 5 in one. I still have an Incognito that I have yet to install into my 800.

All input is welcome, including older solutions.

Well, if you want "any" input then we could list some really outdated solutions. Myself have used many different hard disks on ST, STE, Falcon, TT . Starting at 40 MB IDE drive, then some 2.5 inch IDE drives like 80 MB Conner, 140 MB IBM drives ... All they are dead now. I have still original 46 MB Seagate SCSI drive of Mega STE, and it can work. But I even don't use 2 and 4 GB much newer faster drivers, because it is just uncomfortable. And I have mod for expanding Mega STE's internal adapter disk access range over 1 GB: http://atari.8bitchip.info/modmste1.html

With that SCSI-IDE adapter may would have some sense, but still is not good idea, by me. Because you will have CosmosEx, so that will be just waste of money. But if your aim is to try out different things, do it. I can give lot of ideas how to spend lot of money and time :D

In any case, any serious Atari user now will find 1GB storage space insufficient. And what I like most are fast end efficient solutions. Forcing old type mass storage - as some famous crew members said here multiple times, that only classic SCSI drive via ICD adapter is good storage for some ST(E) . I had it. It worked well and fast. But that's all good. On the other side it was noisy, you need extra PSU. space on desk ... Flash cards are best for old micros, and not only because they are cheap now, but because easy data exchange with some PC, MAC .

There is lot of wrong ideas around. Some people claim that Flash cards are unreliable, that will lose data after many writes. All it is not true - except if you buy crap cards. After 10 years practice with, I never lost any data.

Internal solution with CF card ? That's really practical :D

Would you have thought the solution more practical if I had used a mechanical 1GB drive? The CF solution is faster, cooler-running, and more reliable. Altogether practical.

pixel - you are not just stupid...

That's twice. Do it again and I'll...oh what the hell. Go ahead and do it again.

...but arrogant.

"Arrogant" is defined as "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance". I will leave it to our fellow forum members to decide whose language and demeanor fit that description.

But I will not continue ... I saw from your very first post here what kind you are. Waste of time to discuss ...

I thought I was the "kind" to respond with an informed and helpful opinion when asked for one by a fellow hobbyist. What "kind" do you think I am? Edited by pixelmischief

ParanoidLittleMan: so much aggressivity... and when it comes to arrogance, you sure quickly took the lead on this thread

Soulbuster: any list of games is subjective anyway but parsing a few lists will eventually show a pattern of great games to try

Dungeon Master, Vroom, IK+ and Wings Of Death is a good starting point ;)

Edited by Keops
  • Like 1

Well, I still say the same. Call me arrogant - because I feel knowing much more about Ataris and especially about mass storage than some, who joined here about 1-2 years ago.

After I did several HW and SW projects, keeping site with many informations, and to not continue .. I just feel need to give best and rational solutions to people. Not something "what works - so it is good" . There is many thing what works, worked, but was just bad solution. Arguments about 1GB are weak, and internal CF card is really bad idea - user will open case every time when want to connect CF card to other machine ? I used word stupid with good reasons, and I explained it. And really don't see that I should use different tone, because it is just pathetic . So bad, that I'm shocked, really.

And pixel. should apologize at least for that mistake about game not ported to Atari.

Could say lot more. but don't see that in today World there is respect for knowledge and experience - at least not by most

PLM, even if you are actually right, treating people badly is a guarantee that you will not change their minds. If all you want to do is say 'look at me! I'm smarter than anybody!', and have people ignore you, then you are on the right track. If you simply try being polite your message will go a lot farther. But even then, you will have people that don't listen to you, and you should be a grown up and respect their rights to have a different opinion. You will convince no one and make no difference to anyone if all you do is be impolite and aggressive. You are hurting your own cause.

You also should probably take a step back and realize that you may, I say *MAY*, not actually be right about everything. Even if you are in fact right, (in cases where there is an actual 'right'), you still need to be polite or no one will hear you.

Thanx danwinslow. Unfortunately, there are cases when you need to shout instead being nice. I'm not aggressive persona, and like if things go smooth. I just felt that this is too bad. Maybe memories with AtariKing are too fresh ...

And it would be good, if SoulBuster write more about what he really wants. If it will be something like to order diverse things from Best Electronic, then I really don't have what to do in this thread. I always solved things in different way. For me experimenting is not to buy something, then play with it, but to add at least something own.

And as I see US people and Euro people has different approach in this. We don't have our Best electronic, with reason. But we have some, much better things - mentioned in this thread too ;-) .

...because I feel knowing much more about Ataris and especially about mass storage than some, who joined here about 1-2 years ago. After I did several HW and SW projects, keeping site with many informations, and to not continue ..

It must feel really good to know so much that everyone else's knowledge, experience, and opinions count for nothing.

I just feel need to give best and rational solutions to people. Not something "what works - so it is good" . There is many thing what works, worked, but was just bad solution.

We all hope to give rational solutions. You are not unique in that capacity, even if well-qualified. Better to offer more options than fewer as any solution, given the requirements and constraints, could turn out to be the best.

Arguments about 1GB are weak, and internal CF card is really bad idea - user will open case every time when want to connect CF card to other machine ?

Perhaps I should have made it clear that the CF card solution is meant to stay inside the Atari, like a normal hard disk. Otherwise, if it was meant to be removed and used in other systems, it would be a truly ridiculous solution. But as a fixed disk, this solution has been excellent for me; cheap, fast, and reliable.

I used word stupid with good reasons, and I explained it. And really don't see that I should use different tone, because it is just pathetic . So bad, that I'm shocked, really.

You miss the point. There IS NO GOOD REASON call someone "stupid" in a conversation between intelligent, well-meaning adults concerning a recreational pass-time. You seem bent on excluding my opinions from the discussion on the grounds that your disapproval makes them irrelevant; dangerous even.

And pixel. should apologize at least for that mistake about game not ported to Atari.

Let me get this straight. You are demanding an apology from me for a mistake made on a games recommendation list. OK. Here goes. I, PixelMischief, do hereby acknowledge, and take full responsibility for, the error I made in my forum post dated 1/8/2015, wherein I suggested that the game "Eye of the Beholder" had been released for, and was therefore a playable option on, the Atari ST family of home microcomputers. It is with deepest sorrow and contrition that I ask for forgiveness from those who were injured by my mistake and pray that they and their families will fully recover from the impact of my regretful negligence.

Could say lot more. but don't see that in today World there is respect for knowledge and experience - at least not by most

It is clear that some, more than others, struggle with the ability to respect knowledge and experience. But where you fail so demonstrably is in respecting the feelings and contributions of others. It is, by far, the greater crime. Edited by pixelmischief