IGNORED

New to the ST Platform

OK, I was harsh - with intention to shake up some people. Gone in dangerous waters, perhaps. When you see such ideas, then listing non existing game, you feel that who wrote it has no responsibility for what writes. So, I apologize (and this is real apologize, not sarcastic one) for bad words. And hope that we can move ahead, and taking more care :)

Anyone wants to buy 4GB Quantum SCSI drive ? :-D

Could say lot more. but don't see that in today World there is respect for knowledge and experience - at least not by most

Your site has been a great help to me. My Ultra Satan would be as good as useless without it.

Back to the original topic. A Mega STe is certainly a jump in the deep end; most users are happy with a regular STe (or even STfm) with a bit of extra memory. I'm very happy with my Ultra Satan, but since you don't already have one you might as well go with the CosmosEx; the Automation library plus PPs hard disk adaptations should make for a great library of games and you'll also have the benefit of online functionality. Your Mega STe has the potential to be a great set-up.

OK, I was harsh - with intention to shake up some people. Gone in dangerous waters, perhaps. When you see such ideas, then listing non existing game, you feel that who wrote it has no responsibility for what writes. So, I apologize (and this is real apologize, not sarcastic one) for bad words. And hope that we can move ahead, and taking more care :)

Anyone wants to buy 4GB Quantum SCSI drive ? :-D

I love ParanoidLittleMan. The Atari ST scene would not be as good as it is without the things he has given us. Dude is a rock star. And I wish I would have checked on Eye of the Beholder before I suggested it. My bad.

• 2 weeks later...

The computer arrived (Mega STe upgrade to 4 meg) and it and works as described. But there is no software.

I am going to go with a null modem setup to get software for the machine to begin with while I wait for the CosmoEx.

I need suggestions for essential operational software to look for. Games I will think about later. I am looking for suggestions on utilities and especial good software for the null modem setup.

Hardware: I would like to add an internal hard drive, but I think I need a new cover piece that includes a bracket and interface to the computer. I searched Best Electronics and they want $125 for one, but the Hard disk price was good at $75. Does anyone have a complete internal hard drive setup that they would let go for a lot less?

Or

Can I add an Ultra Satan Internal and mount it in the same place without the expensive bracket?

The computer arrived (Mega STe upgrade to 4 meg) and it and works as described. But there is no software.

Hardware: I would like to add an internal hard drive, but I think I need a new cover piece that includes a bracket and interface to the computer. I searched Best Electronics and they want $125 for one, but the Hard disk price was good at $75. Does anyone have a complete internal hard drive setup that they would let go for a lot less?

Or

Can I add an Ultra Satan Internal and mount it in the same place without the expensive bracket?

Those Best Electronics prices are rubbery, if you ask me. I bought SCSI drives in range 2-10 GB for 10 $ average price. I have what you want, but shipping from Eu to US may be expensive. There is solution to override 1GB internal drive limit http://atari.8bitchip.info/modmste1.html

Note that all disks usable there will be second hand ones. My God - for 75$ I can buy new 2000 GB SATA drive !

Of course, it needs little soldering experience. In any case, I would not go on internal UltraSatan in you case. That will make optional internal hard disk impossible.

Better think well about all it - there are diverse choices. By me, internal classic hard disk is obsolete, good only for developers and those who want "that old feeling" :)

Don't see why UltraSatan most go internal ...

Bear in mind that the guy who runs Best Electronics is notorious for being difficult. You have to request items by e-mail and he'll only take the order if he can be bothered with it. If he can't be bothered with the order, he'll just fob you off with excuses.

Waste of time IMO. See the following thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225414-buyer-bewareshady-online-atari-dealer-best-electronics/

I tried that and the Ambrey Box sucks. vertical lines, medium resolution is hard too read. just terrible

I have an Ambrey box too - fully agree with it in ST med res mode. I didn't get vertical lines

with the different screens I tried here, but I got a lot of "drop out" on the text with some blurriness.

However, ST low res was perfect here.

I've been told, but have yet to get around trying it, that I can "buffer" the RGB lines with some

120-150k resistors and it might help. Something about the ST's video signal coming in too "hot"

for modern stuff to handle.

HTHs.