IGNORED

I have a question for CorComp RTC owners (that use 4A DOS) if any!

Omega-TI

In the 30+ years that the CorComp RTC has been out there, has anyone ever seen a small EA/5 utility that reads the RTC and displays the data on a single line in 4A DOS?

Come to think of it, has there ever been ANY add-on program or utilitiy for 4A/DOS, or is it... just what it came with?

For people with only disk drives or Lotharek HxC's, this is a fantastic little DOS, and while limited in scope to some, it's so MODULAR that it's just BEGGING for a series of "tiny add-ons". I think it's a great platform that's ripe for expansion with a series of small task specific utilities.

You're right, point taken! :)

I'm still waiting for the day when someone finally decides to write a DOS, Deskmate or Contiki type of program into a UberCart that works with some of the other major programs already on in. That would healed in a new era for sure, not to mention spur other program development and support programs.

BUT IN THE MEANTIME... now that so many people are using F18A's, a program like XTREE GOLD (pictured below) would be totally awesome... and Rasmus would have that easy to use directory he's looking for. :)

Xtreegold-3.0.png

I have always been partial to Midnight Commander (I use it in Linux and Solaris, and the J2ME variant MiniCommander on my phone.) A long time ago I crossed upon a program called StupenDOS that has become my standard. It was too late to register the program by the time I found it, but I would love to be able to do so.

As well, I believe what Rasmus is looking for is a "DOS wedge" type of program similar to what we have on the Commodore where you can just hit, say, the F1 key for a directory (which is actually a shortcut key for the wedge command @$, the "@" instantiating the DOS wedge, and the "$" being the request for a directory of the currently selected drive.) Because of the way external commands are implemented in the TI system, these would have to be done via a CALL sub-program, like his suggested CALL CAT. I do not believe the TI system allows for software extensions like that, only in a DSR ROM/GROM. Sure, you could CALL LINK("CAT") but that is still a lot of typing. The only way I can think of would be a user hook in the ISR which intercepts a specific key stroke and then injects the necessary command into BASIC's buffer (if that is possible.)

I have always been partial to Midnight Commander

I'd be happy with almost any variant in 80 column mode, be it a XTree, Midnight Commander or other rip-off. So many of us have F18A's now that it seems almost a crime not to exploit it's capabilities for a good and practical use... especially in a disk manager/file manager program. DM2K is my program of choice, but with the ability to display more stuff on the screen at one time it would be the bomb. The TI's limited display area has always been one of it's greatest weaknesses, IMHO.

You're right, point taken! :)

I'm still waiting for the day when someone finally decides to write a DOS, Deskmate or Contiki type of program into a UberCart that works with some of the other major programs already on in. That would healed in a new era for sure, not to mention spur other program development and support programs.

BUT IN THE MEANTIME... now that so many people are using F18A's, a program like XTREE GOLD (pictured below) would be totally awesome... and Rasmus would have that easy to use directory he's looking for. :)

Have you tried 'Multi Disk Commander' by Oliver Arnold? It's questionable as to whether it will work on an F18A as it was written for a 9938/58, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Gazoo

Have you tried 'Multi Disk Commander' by Oliver Arnold? It's questionable as to whether it will work on an F18A as it was written for a 9938/58, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Gazoo

I've never heard of it, but I'd be more than happy to give it a try. Could you point me in the right direction to download it... or post it here?

Thanks!

I've never heard of it, but I'd be more than happy to give it a try. Could you point me in the right direction to download it... or post it here?

Thanks!

A Google search brought up a conversation about it between Oliver, Bill Sullivan, and myself. It was on Richard Bell's BBS at the time, which was 14 years ago. It may still be there.

Gazoo

Well, as of now, I'd call it a fail.

When I first loaded the program, I got excited as it displayed properly with only a line missing from the bottom.

med_gallery_35324_1027_17896.jpg

It does not seem to work with the HDX and it also appears to want to reside on DSK1. Anyway, when you try to do a directory in the first column, this is what you get...

med_gallery_35324_1027_106207.jpg

This improved a little in the second column, but it always seems to abort.

med_gallery_35324_1027_87500.jpg

So as of now, we cannot add it to the list of F18A compatible programs. I suppose if some Uber-Programmer had the source code, they might be able to tweak it for F18A use, but I don't know if it's worth it. It might be easier to bum someone else's code or start over from scratch.

Anyway I'm out of time to mess with as I have to leave. L8R!