IGNORED

New TI-99/4A Forum

Albert

LOL, there is that. I don't mind going through and moving threads back into a renamed (and wider-scoped) "Development" forum. Not sure if OLD CS1 wants to go through that again!!

..Al

I only moved about a handful of pages (something like 500 threads, give or take.) I stopped moving as soon as the idea was posted to see what was decided so I could rest my trigger finger for the next round.

Albert and old cs1 spent how long? sorting and moving threads and now insanemultitasker comes up with an idea to make them do it all over again! :-o

I honestly have not looked beyond the first page of threads to understand the breakdown. And it is entirely possible that the first few years of threads are nearly all "development" related anyway. I wasn't suggesting more work, it just seemed a broader scope for the programming forum could address some of the voiced concerns. No ulterior motives intended |:)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Is someone going to split the Development Resources pinned sticky and move the hardware stuff across to a pinned sticky in the "other" forum? Should be an easy job for someone as it's oh so easy to differentiate between hardware, development and programming ... :-o

I thought we decided to use this forum for all development related discussions (hardware and software), and leave the other forum for the "ebay is spensive!!" and "perty pittures" type threads? I wasn't in favor of a split first, but I do have to say that I actually like that I can gloss over the chit-chat and the fact that we now have a place where we can focus on the technical stuff.

Also, not sure if this is due to the split in the forums, but we have seen quite some new blood over the last couple of days/weeks.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Taking some getting used to, but I dig the change... I didn't like it it first, but after a few days, I REALLY like the separate programming forum. While there isn't quite as much traffic on that forum now, I think that is as it should be. Lots of folks getting re-interested in playing TI games and getting hardware systems running, just means we need to keep pace on the development side. Seeing the recent releases by Rasmus, Vorticon, Willsy, and others on the software side---F18A still cruising strong, SID player, cart boards, multicarts, all on the hardware side, I'd say the balance is there.

Really great to see growth in the community. Truly an inspiration.

I've considered re-releasing my games on diskette with color manuals... See if any of the new gamers and enthusiasts would be interested in limited, individually numbered runs of Lemonade Stand, Honeycomb Rapture, Riding for the Brand. Maybe even the original XB version of the baseball game.

• Like 5

There were only disks made of two of them. Riding for the Brand never got a manual because I didnt feel like it was good enough to continue on with. Of the 4 or so people who played it, didnt seem like anyone really played it more than once or twice. I can beat the game on the easiest level, but it's no walk in the park... It is kind of goofy, but I would have thought the music and the Old West theme would have been cool enough to garner some interest.

It honestly just wasnt really all that great of a game, although I play it pretty often to burn some time. :)

Taking some getting used to, but I dig the change... I didn't like it it first, but after a few days, I REALLY like the separate programming forum. While there isn't quite as much traffic on that forum now, I think that is as it should be. Lots of folks getting re-interested in playing TI games and getting hardware systems running, just means we need to keep pace on the development side. Seeing the recent releases by Rasmus, Vorticon, Willsy, and others on the software side---F18A still cruising strong, SID player, cart boards, multicarts, all on the hardware side, I'd say the balance is there.

Really great to see growth in the community. Truly an inspiration.

I've considered re-releasing my games on diskette with color manuals... See if any of the new gamers and enthusiasts would be interested in limited, individually numbered runs of Lemonade Stand, Honeycomb Rapture, Riding for the Brand. Maybe even the original XB version of the baseball game.

You are welcome to use my store on arcadeshopper Owen.. lmk

Greg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

... we need to keep pace on the development side. Seeing the recent releases by Rasmus, Vorticon, Willsy, and others on the software side---F18A still cruising strong, SID player, cart boards, multicarts, all on the hardware side, I'd say the balance is there.

The software side is just slightly out of balance (IMHO). There are just so many goodies available for downloading and instant gratification now, and that's a good thing. Most of us now have larger storage devices than in the old days too, and that's also a good thing. Something is missing though... something up to the task of tying all this stuff together, and that I do not believe has arrived yet.

I currently use BOOT, and I dearly love that program, but it's no longer up to the task of handling all the goodies Rasmus, Vorticon, Tursi, Gazoo, and all the other Uber Programmers have given us in the TI-Community. I believe it's past time for an 80 column menu loader, one that has at least 20-24 selections per page and at least 4 pages.

With the majority of users now using F18A's in our little community and other people experiencing the same issues, I'm shocked no one has already written one. I know a menu system is probably boring stuff to Uber programmers who like to push the envelope, or it's not as exciting as a Road Hunter or TI-Scramble or even DM2K, but utilities have there uses and a good utility can go a long way in making things more enjoyable. Considering the TI's design, a menu loader is a must in my book.

• Like 1

Omega

You do know about boots ability to save a menu and load a menu, right?

That's what I've used for many a year. I have my main menu on boot up and then select another I've built previously for what I'm wanting to do.

I've got menus for art, ea utility's, xb utility's , ea games, xb games, etc. an 80 column boot would indeed be better, but this does work pretty good.

Funnelweb and a RAM disk dude...

Do yourself a favor. :)

That's a path I'll eventually cross! I've been patiently waiting for the release Ksarul's new RAM disk.

It's just too bad Funnelweb does not work with the F18A.

To me the greatest limitation of the TI has always been it's limited video display, thankfully Matthew's modern (and affordable) video enhancement has eliminated that limitation to some extent.

Omega

You do know about boots ability to save a menu and load a menu, right?

That's what I've used for many a year. I have my main menu on boot up and then select another I've built previously for what I'm wanting to do.

I've got menus for art, ea utility's, xb utility's , ea games, xb games, etc. an 80 column boot would indeed be better, but this does work pretty good.

Maybe NOT! -- In the past I've linked to different copies of BOOT on other disks, like GAMES or UTILITIES for instance, but that required reloading another copy of BOOT from BOOT and that added to extra key presses and wasted delays for the other copy to load. If there is something I'm missing, which is entirely possible, please set me straight!

You gotta have the most recent version of boot but press [ or ].

You'll see where to go from there.

I'm using version 10/16/89 (the F18A modified one). When I remade the documentation for the program, I do not recall seeing anything about that. What version are you using? Press [ or ] ? I must be dense, you lost me, what's [ or ] ?

*** EDIT ***

Never mind! I understand! The GET command for the configuration file! Sorry, I'm slow in my old age!

Still too inconvenient... I want EVERYTHING with only ONE button press. :D

Edited by --- Ω ---

Sorry, trying to respond from my phone. Pressing [ will open a dialogue at the bottom of the screen to "put" your menu on the storage media of your choice, pressing ] will "get" the menu from the storage media of your choice. I may have the two mixed up because I always forget which is which. You can edit a saved menu as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 1/9/2015 at 8:48 PM, Albert said:

I've just created a standalone TI-99/4A forum on AtariAge:

http://atariage.com/forums/forum/164-ti-994a-computers/

I included a link back to the TI-99/4A Programming forum at the top of that forum. I figured there's more than enough traffic to warrant a standalone forum for discussing non-programming TI-99/4A topics. There are probably a fair number of topics in the programming forum that should be moved into this forum.

Enjoy!

..Al

About 8 years late, but i just want to say thank you @Albert.

I honestly don't know where the online TI community would be without this forum to call home.

• Like 5