Photo

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

1406 replies to this topic

#26 McWill OFFLINE  

McWill

Chopper Commander

• 248 posts

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:34 PM

Hmm, I can't do much right now, but would you be open to doing more later? Around Summer time? 

Perhaps, I don't know. The most orders are done in december 2014. If the people still make orders, a second run makes sence. But if just 10 or 20 orders will come next months, it is impossible. Because of the high production costs.

#27 McWill OFFLINE  

McWill

Chopper Commander

• 248 posts

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:37 PM

But wait, you told a friend of mine he will still have a chance in a few months. So do you plan a second run? Wouldn't want him to miss out.^^

I try to leave 2 or 3 on stock.

#28 thorax OFFLINE  

thorax

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:43 AM

@mcwill
i guess there will be a lot more orders if the first posts about your screens will be on several websites/forum/facebook groups.

I'd write a short message to scorp.ius from circuit-board.de. He'd shurely make a retro-snippet and has many followers.

#29 jmetal88 OFFLINE  

jmetal88

Dragonstomper

• 723 posts

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:46 AM

I really need something like this.  I don't play my Lynx that much due to the poor quality of the LCD and the fact that I have a stuck pixel.  I'll send you a PM to ask about it.

#30 Turbojerry OFFLINE  

Turbojerry

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 AM

Perhaps, I don't know. The most orders are done in december 2014. If the people still make orders, a second run makes sence. But if just 10 or 20 orders will come next months, it is impossible. Because of the high production costs.

Hello everyone ! I'm new to this forum. I'm usually into automotive mods but I mod video game consoles for fun also which brings me here. Mcwill I'm trying to order a kit from you so I can mod my Lynx 2 since Dec 14 2014. I don't know if your sending orders to the US yet since I'm in California. I hope you didn't forget about me !

#31 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,589 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:22 PM

I definitely want this.  Been waiting on one of these to be available.  Hope I haven't already missed it.

#32 McWill OFFLINE  

McWill

Chopper Commander

• 248 posts

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:30 AM

@mcwill
i guess there will be a lot more orders if the first posts about your screens will be on several websites/forum/facebook groups.

I'd write a short message to scorp.ius from circuit-board.de. He'd shurely make a retro-snippet and has many followers.

Thank you very much!

#33 McWill OFFLINE  

McWill

Chopper Commander

• 248 posts

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:04 AM

But wait, you told a friend of mine he will still have a chance in a few months. So do you plan a second run? Wouldn't want him to miss out.^^

Today, a few kits are available. But the next boards in production, cause of the new orders. If the last one is sold, you just have to wait 2-3 weeks.
So the boards are available for your friend in a few months.

#34 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,206 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:12 AM

PM sent to purchase or be put on a list to purchase a Lynx with modded screen. This would go great sitting next to my modded Nomad and Turbo Express!

Edited by Bill Loguidice, Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:14 AM.

#35 im_reg OFFLINE  

im_reg

Dragonstomper

• 518 posts

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:28 PM

Second run would most certainly sell out.  I'd happily buy one if you decide to do a second run.  Happily pre-pay too so you're not cut short on buying in the materials.

#36 thorax OFFLINE  

thorax

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:28 PM

I received the new LCD today. Looks awesome! 

I'm currently trying to add rechargable LiIon-Cells to my Lynx. Chargable with USB :)

Lynx_LCD_LiIon.jpg?_subject_uid=8904639&

Edited by thorax, Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:50 PM.

#37 masematte OFFLINE  

masematte

Dragonstomper

• 669 posts

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:02 PM

Today i was able to tested my lymx-mod, and ita amazing , very good job thx McWill

#38 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:17 PM

I received the new LCD today. Looks awesome! 

I'm currently trying to add rechargable LiIon-Cells to my Lynx. Chargable with USB :)

Lynx_LCD_LiIon.jpg?_subject_uid=8904639&

Thorax, are you well versed in this or experimenting? 

I'd look up the Nomad battery mod for some reference tips, though you'd be adding a new internal port. Maybe your just way better off with rechargeable batteries in this case though sir. 

#39 venom4728a OFFLINE  

venom4728a

Dragonstomper

• 615 posts

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 PM

Cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Edited by venom4728a, Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:28 PM.

#40 rygar OFFLINE  

rygar

Chopper Commander

• 240 posts

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:26 AM

Just playing all the night with this wonderful mod.

This is amazing !
This is a new life for the lynx !

Playing with this beautiful screen is just fabulous !

Congratulation McWill, If you were in front of me I'll make you a big kiss ! :lust: :lust: :lust:

#41 thorax OFFLINE  

thorax

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 AM

Thorax, are you well versed in this or experimenting? 

I'd look up the Nomad battery mod for some reference tips, though you'd be adding a new internal port. Maybe your just way better off with rechargeable batteries in this case though sir. 

I think i do know what I'm doing. I just experimented with the step-up-converter to check if there's any interference with the Lynx. Turns out it works fine. I added two 18650 Li-Ion cells in parallel, undervoltage protection and a USB-charger. I'm not sure about the runtime yet, but i played for about 3 hours and had no problems. If the step-up was 100% efficient, the Lynx would run for about 8.6 hours. If the efficiency of the step-up is at about 75% I'd still have about 6.5 hours runtime :)

LynxInnereien.jpg

LynxBuchse.jpg

#42 jvas OFFLINE  

jvas

Moonsweeper

• 422 posts

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:54 PM

Just to say thank you. Just installed the new LCD panel:

20150123_191626.jpg

Crystal clear screen, high contrast. Super!

20150123_191701.jpg

They had to move!

#43 Guitari OFFLINE  

Guitari

Stargunner

• 1,710 posts

Posted Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:34 PM

I'm actually quite intrigued about those components, what they are and why theyre not essential with this mod..

#44 Guitari OFFLINE  

Guitari

Stargunner

• 1,710 posts

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:07 AM

Clearly we need to harness McWill's talents - next challenge, a new LCD screen for the Lynx 1  :grin:

#45 Radfoo OFFLINE  

Radfoo

Chopper Commander

• 160 posts

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:00 PM

Fitted the LCD replacement to a broken Lynx I have today, now works great and display is wonderful, so much nicer than the original one. Have fitted the VGA connector but not had chance to play on a big screen yet.

The circuit board seem well made, lot nicer than those early pics McWill posted. Very minor quibble but would have been nice to have some kind of brightness adjustment, if playing in a dark room it could go a bit lower.  Also might see if I can find a differnt VGA connector thats black as the white one stands out a little. 

Probably order another one now :-)

Edited by Radfoo, Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:02 PM.

#46 ChrisWR OFFLINE  

ChrisWR

Star Raider

• 89 posts
  • I am from Germany

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:19 PM

I apologize for the poor quality and it is only in German  :grin:

Video

I apologize for the poor quality and it is only in German .
ir

#47 gilsaluki OFFLINE  

gilsaluki

Dragonstomper

• 789 posts

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 PM

I would love to have this upgrade, but soldering is not necessarily my strong suit. How much is the mod kit? How to get one?

#48 thorax OFFLINE  

thorax

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:15 PM

I'm actually quite intrigued about those components, what they are and why theyre not essential with this mod..

It's essentially a royer osciallator or CCFL inverter which converts low DC as provided by batteries to high AC, as needed for the old lynx backlight. The new LCD does use LEDs, which only need low DC, so the inverter is no longer useful. The overall current consumption goes down, if these unnecessary parts are removed, so battery runtime goes up :)

Clearly we need to harness McWill's talents - next challenge, a new LCD screen for the Lynx 1  :grin:

I guess he's to busy to answer right now, but i think this will indeed be his next project. 

Fitted the LCD replacement to a broken Lynx I have today, now works great and display is wonderful, so much nicer than the original one. Have fitted the VGA connector but not had chance to play on a big screen yet.

The circuit board seem well made, lot nicer than those early pics McWill posted. Very minor quibble but would have been nice to have some kind of brightness adjustment, if playing in a dark room it could go a bit lower.  Also might see if I can find a differnt VGA connector thats black as the white one stands out a little. 

Probably order another one now :-)

I used a ASSMANN A-HDS 15 LL/Z VGA Connector which has black plastic. 

I would love to have this upgrade, but soldering is not necessarily my strong suit. How much is the mod kit? How to get one?

You can get one right from McWill by writing an Email to: order-lynx-lcd[at]online[dot]de

He charges 95€ plus shipping depending on where you live. I think he used to mod Lynxes himself, but i don't know if he has any time for it right now. 

#49 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,206 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:52 PM

I'm in the same boat as others, unable to trust myself with doing the mod myself. If anyone is selling Lynx's pre-modded, I'm in for one. Thanks!

#50 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 AM

McWill, I just want to throw this out there... okay. 

Forgive me guys as I know it's an Atari forum, but.. 

McWill, do you have access to Sega Game Gear? 

That one is in the same desperate need of this mod. 

I can't imagine you wouldn't find sales on some forum if you crack that one. 

If your taking orders I will see if I can pitch in for some. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users