IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

(probably the wrong thread but...)

Just did a Game gear, very successful, but you need good light, a steady hand and magnification. TBH I had some confusion around VCC and GND, as it was marked on the backlight potentiometer as being there (I presume for the VGA mod), where in fact it was to be taken off the cartridge connector.

TnoCMKsm.jpg

WUK6AAUl.jpg

• Like 2

(probably the wrong thread but...)

Just did a Game gear, very successful, but you need good light, a steady hand and magnification. TBH I had some confusion around VCC and GND, as it was marked on the backlight potentiometer as being there (I presume for the VGA mod), where in fact it was to be taken off the cartridge connector.

TnoCMKsm.jpg

WUK6AAUl.jpg

I have a GG McWill Kit at the ready as well, but just haven't been quite brave enough to tackle this one. Mainly because I'm not that steady with my hands these days and there is SMD stuff that has to come off along with new SMD stuff put back in its place. The Lynx II wasn't that big a deal with nice large connection points but the GG...yeah...still gotta work up the courage for that one.

Where is the best place for the VGA out connector for the GG mod? I still would like to keep the battery compartments usable for portability..so wasn't sure where there is space for the VGA out to be placed?

Is this an easy job for a noob re: soldering?

For the Game Gear, no, unless you have a steady hand and the proper tools and knowledge. For the Lynx II, it's easier, but the above applies to the Lynx also. Edited by Krip316

I may want to try with a Lynx II, but I've never soldered anything before.

If you've never soldered before do not start with a screen mod to the Lynx, have a go at a few other projects first. You'll also need more than a soldering iron, as you need to desolder too (de-solder braid), as was said above the Lynx is easier to work on and forgiving.

Forget about doing the GG screen until you're a bit more skilled up, it is an amazing modification, brilliantly designed, however you'll be trying to desolder components the size of a third of a grain of rice.

A good start would be recapping the Lynx, that was fun and makes a difference. Get an iron, desolderbraid, solder and flux... have a look at a few tutorials mess around with some old junk and then start, do one at a time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

8e3b8f2bfe95296fdbd2932f66090ea1.jpg Bottom center is where it goes.

I don't agree with you...and the best place is neither on the back :grin:

Even if, for me, between the bottom and the back position, it is better on the back (but in this case if you whant to use a SMS/Game Gear converter, you can use only a Nuby converter).

But I repeat...the BEST position is not on the back and neither on the bottom...

Edited by ATLynxer

I don't agree with you...and the best place is neither on the back :grin:

Even if, for me, between the bottom and the back position, it is better on the back (but in this case if you whant to use a SMS/Game Gear converter, you can use only a Nuby converter).

But I repeat...the BEST position is not on the back and neither on the bottom...

Your not disagreeing with me, your disagreeing with McWill. That pic is from a gg he did for me. Hey, put it wherever you want. It's your choice.[emoji12]

Your not disagreeing with me, your disagreeing with McWill. That pic is from a gg he did for me. Hey, put it wherever you want. It's your choice.[emoji12]

Ah ok....but in my opinion that position is unconfortable to connect the VGA cable and play on a monitor...

Analog VGA is old technology. They were never designed for a small port but you could use a custom solution. IIRC minimum of 6 pins are needed, you could use a 1x6 DuPont connector which is about 2.5mm by 15.25mm and it could fit neatly without huge unsightly opening or anything sticking out. You could probably use HDMI connector but it would have to be labeled as not HDMI to prevent people from plugging HDMI into TV and breaking something.

• 1 month later...

Hi, new to this topic...

How does one go about purchasing a screen mod for the Lynx?

Thanks all!

There's multiple ways now. You can order directly from McWill or if you live in the US, it's faster to get it from Console5. Luchs Soft sells them too. May be others that I'm not aware of?????

There's multiple ways now. You can order directly from McWill or if you live in the US, it's faster to get it from Console5. Luchs Soft sells them too. May be others that I'm not aware of?????

Thanks so much man!

Well, that was easy enough! :) getting it from console 5

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I purchased McWill's kit from console5 and installed it in my Lynx II this morning. I also installed the cap kit. I verified 5v on VCC, and all the connections. However when I power it up, I see garbage on half the screen, and part of an image on the other half. See image. Any advice on what to check is appreciated. I also had a question regarding TPR and RES. Where is the jumper that is mentioned in the kit instructions? Thanks!

Mark

post-59297-0-68928300-1496599037_thumb.jpg

Edited by markeemark

Double and triple check your 9 connections on the LCD mod and Lynx board. I had a similar problem and it ended up being 2 wires were wrong.

Thanks. Did you use TPR or RES, and if you used RES did you have to do anything with the jumper? BTW where is the jumper? I desoldered the 9 wires and will start over.

Mark

Hi,
I purchased McWill's kit from console5 and installed it in my Lynx II this morning. I also installed the cap kit. I verified 5v on VCC, and all the connections. However when I power it up, I see garbage on half the screen, and part of an image on the other half. See image. Any advice on what to check is appreciated. I also had a question regarding TPR and RES. Where is the jumper that is mentioned in the kit instructions? Thanks!
Mark

Could just be me, but doesn't that kinda look like the LCD for the GG upgrade? I will tell that you I originally ordered the LCD upgrade for my Lynx2 from Console5 when they were first available through there. However, I actually ended up receiving the GG upgrade kit minus the GG stuff needed to be added. They were cool about it and eventually I ended up with 1 of each kit over the process of it all.

But yeah..just making sure because again the LCD pcb there doesn't look like the Lnyx one?

Could just be me, but doesn't that kinda look like the LCD for the GG upgrade? I will tell that you I originally ordered the LCD upgrade for my Lynx2 from Console5 when they were first available through there. However, I actually ended up receiving the GG upgrade kit minus the GG stuff needed to be added. They were cool about it and eventually I ended up with 1 of each kit over the process of it all.

But yeah..just making sure because again the LCD pcb there doesn't look like the Lnyx one?

Here's the back of the PCB. The screw holes do line up on the Lynx 2.

post-59297-0-73144700-1496602928_thumb.jpg

Edited by markeemark