IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

My apologies as this is not Lynx related but in searching out a solution for my problem I found a post in this thread.

I've installed the McWill mod in several Game Gears to date and all are working perfectly as far as I am aware. In one of my recent installs the screen is free of distortion but is VERY bright and has little contrast. Mine looks identical to a forum member who posted about it here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233632-lynx-lcd-replacementvga-out-by-mcwill/page-24?do=findComment&comment=3283106

I took that McWill screen out and swapped in a known-good unit but the same extremely bright image persisted. It is definitely something on the Game Gear side.

McWill's response to that user:

It seems too bright. Please check the soldering on the pads. I guess the D0 - D3 signals are wrong. Perhaps there is a shortcut and they are connected to VCC, so they are still '1'. Usually the screen is more colorful and not too bright.

Please let us know, what was wrong.

I am certain I have the 6 wires routed correctly from the LCD pads to the McWill but I will check again. Should there be any voltage on D0 and D3 under normal circumstances?

The Game Gear was recapped and confirmed to be in good, working condition prior to the McWill install.

Any other ideas?

Edited by MNiceGuy

Please check D0-D3. If one or more data signals permanently '1' = HIGH, the colors become brighter. Because the old LCD ribbon pads are small, there could be a short circuit. Check with multimeter or try to desolder and solder again.
Let us know the result please.

Please check D0-D3. If one or more data signals permanently '1' = HIGH, the colors become brighter. Because the old LCD ribbon pads are small, there could be a short circuit. Check with multimeter or try to desolder and solder again.

Let us know the result please.

I checked D1-D0 with a meter and can confirm there are no shorts on any of those connections at the LCD pads.

I did notice D1 and D2 had approximately 3.6V while D0 and D3 had no voltage. If I am understanding your suggestion, this is where my problem lies. There are no shorts with pads 9 or 39 with either of their adjacent pads.

I will search further for a solution and thank you McWill for your insight so far.

Edited by MNiceGuy

Not finished yet, sorry. I have also a lot of other projects at present.

But will coming soon ;-)

Mcwill, any possibility of a region switchless mod alongside the new screen? Of course the nomad issue is that it is a genesis not a megadrive.

A real issue for us Euros (and Japanese)

Forgive me, as I'm new to this thread and I am about to purchase the McWill Lynx LCD replacement for the Lynx I. It's quite an investment (~$150USD), so I want to make sure I understand what I'm getting into. I have some decent soldering skills, but I've not had the best luck modifying handhelds due to the size anid my fat fingers.

Are there published instructions on how to install the new screen on the Lynx I? Additionally, can the LCD be replaced by itself, or does the VGA mod need to be installed as well?

Forgive my ignorance -- I haven't owned a Lynx in 25 years. Thanks for your help and patience!

Installed over two evenings:

At first i didn't know, that the Lynx needs a game cart to switch on and thus couldn't find the voltage on the mentioned points. Man was i sweating!

Then i prepared some floppy cable, but cut it too short so i had to rewire it...

Looks quite nice. :)

post-63340-0-63460700-1517342925_thumb.jpg

For now i skipped the VGA Port because i don't want to cut the Lynx case.
Can somebody please point me to the information about "that guy" who installed a mini-connector into the brightness wheel cutout to fit some kind of adapter cable for the VGA out?

Thanks @ McWill for the awesome Hardware. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My new Lynx screen has finally been installed! Of course the Lynx is still in Ohio with mobiusstriptech, but still it has been done. Chris sent me some pictures and it looks great. I am really excited to get it back with hopefully a couple more working Lynxes.

I had thought it had been two years since I had bought the screen, but looking back I purchased it in February of 2015. 3 years! This has been a long time coming.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

I just finished my McWill LCD screen mod for my Lynx I. It wasn't exactly drop in and play, and I had my share of screw ups on my end, but after it was all said and done, it looks amazing. The most time-consuming part, for me, was finding the correct washers (buried deep in the bowels of the Home Depot) and getting the screen lined up correctly with the outside case and level to the PCB.

Other than that, it's amazing. The difference is literally night and day. Thanks McWill.

post-61342-0-20838600-1518791142_thumb.jpg

post-61342-0-68015800-1518791146_thumb.jpg

post-61342-0-40419700-1518791162_thumb.jpg

post-61342-0-97160700-1518791182_thumb.jpg

post-61342-0-30723300-1518791190_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I did skip the vga out. See no need for it, as if Im going to play the games on a computer screen, Im likely emulating it anyway.

But the mod kit did come with the nylon screws and nuts, however it did not come with the washers. I believe they were #4 washers at depot...$.49 I think. If you need the exact type and sku, I can get that for you later. The issue is that you have to hold the top of the screw inward so it doesnt slide off, while at the same time holding it straight with a small screwdriver AND turning the nut from the bottom. Its tricky to be sure. The YouTube video doesnt speak to it much. For me it was the lengthiest part of the mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello McWill,

I recently got a Lynx 1 and 2 back (3 days ago) and I just discovered your amazing work
The thing is I am a total noob with soldering (last time I tried it was in school 20+ years ago)

So is it possible to order an upgrade of my two precious made by you ?

I will pay for shipment both way from France and for your work of course :)

Please PM me so we can arrange the transaction.

Thank you

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did this mod on a Lynx II some time ago. It works really well, and I guess it is time to post pictures and my personal thoughts from the process.

Some thoughts. I used alternate locations for GND and the "Backlight" signal, because I wanted all the power-lines to come from the same place on the PCB. This involved removing some SMD components and soldering on a SMD 0-ohm jumper.

I thought about removing the rest of the old LCD power regulator, but figured it wasn't really worth the effort.

What I think about the mod? I think the end result is really good. I am however a bit less impressed with the tidyness. For in particular the Lynx II, there could have been a solution using the already existing flat-flex LCD connector, and I would argue that this would be a way cleaner solution. It would also make it a lot easier to replace the LCD if the mod fails at any point in the future.

All in all, it's still a really good mod, considering most of the original Lynx screens are pretty much deteriorating away at this point in time. Many thanks to McWill for making these!

post-12490-0-20191800-1520656615_thumb.jpg

post-12490-0-63041000-1520656708_thumb.jpg

post-12490-0-59138800-1520656774_thumb.jpg

post-12490-0-46701100-1520656924_thumb.jpg

post-12490-0-11514800-1520657212_thumb.jpg

post-12490-0-12273400-1520657296_thumb.jpg

post-12490-0-00538100-1520657385_thumb.jpg

Edited by per
  • Like 1

Help!

My McWill Lynx II mod is stuck! I followed all instructions successfully and was able to test successfully! Screen looked great. I then re assembled the Lynx again and tried to power on, all I got was a white screen. So I have double checked and the desoldered and redone all connections, checked voltage etc... I can find no fault but still all I get now is a white screen, if I look at an extrem angle I can just about make an image, buts its totally washed out.

Any ideas? LCD is faulty? Please help.