IGNORED

Mecha-8 alternate ending

nanochess

Hi.

Now that Mecha-8 is more widely distributed in the Colecovision Flashback and getting soooo good reviews (thanks!) people keeps me asking about the alternate ending :)

Well, I suppose that after one year of releasing it I can give you the clue.

There is a black hole in level 5 (space), and well, isn't black, it's more a spiral in colors.

It appears just between the two big robots appearing. At left if you're at right, and right if you're at left, so it's better to stay in bottom center of screen to catch it and get surprised ;)

BTW, first batch of Mecha-8 has been sold out and you can keep bothering Pixelboy for the second batch, he is keeping a list to fulfill another batch.

The game has a pretty gorgeous box art and label http://www.teampixelboy.com/mecha8.php, it sounds a lot better in a real Colecovision (yep, it works in an UNEXPANDED Colecovision)

And if you've a Super Game Module, it will enhance music instruments and sound effects, almost like an arcade. (or as if you're in heaven ;) )

BTW2, you can see a sample of the box art in the game itself, just leave it running in title screen :grin: (attraction mode)

• Like 12

is there any cheat I can exploit?

I've found this method to work:

Smash into as many enemies as you can at the start of the level. One of them should drop a gun power-up. Once you get the gun power-up, hang back toward the bottom of the screen and start shooting. Don't worry about red power-ups, just let them float around, you will eventually run into them. Build up your speed and gun power-ups, and keep shooting. If you go back to the pea shooter, just start running into enemies again.

You have unlimited continues and the time warp works even if you die after you touch it.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I discovered an issue with my Mecha-8 cartridge this morning, and figured this was a decent place to put this without starting a new thread...

My translucent blue Mecha-8 cartridge published by Team Pixelboy is booting up to a black screen on a modded F18A ColecoVision with Super Game Module attached.

Troubleshooting. I have:

• Cleaned the contacts gently with 91% isopropyl alcohol
  • Reinserted the cartridge many times with care and accuracy
  • Blown out the cart and the slot
  • Blown out the SGM and the EMI (Expansion Module Interface)
  • Removed the SGM and attempted to play the Mecha-8 cart standalone, without the SGM - WORKS!

This last step is the one that permits the game to function. Therefore, the Mecha 8 cartridge fails on my modded CV only with the SGM attached.

My dumped ROM works perfectly using my AtariMax Ultimate SD with said parameters. This is the way that I've been playing the game since shortly after I received it. But today I felt like playing the actual cart.

All of my other SGM carts work perfectly with the SGM attached (using my modded CV).

It's strange that it's not booting, and my next step will involve pulling out my stock CV to test in this way. But in the meantime... Has anyone else experienced the same or similar issue with Mecha 8?

Edited by phattyboombatty

I discovered an issue with my Mecha-8 cartridge this morning, and figured this was a decent place to put this without starting a new thread...

My translucent blue Mecha-8 cartridge published by Team Pixelboy is booting up to a black screen on a modded F18A ColecoVision with Super Game Module attached.

Troubleshooting. I have:

• Cleaned the contacts gently with 91% isopropyl alcohol
  • Reinserted the cartridge many times with care and accuracy
  • Blown out the cart and the slot
  • Blown out the SGM and the EMI (Expansion Module Interface)
  • Removed the SGM and attempted to play the Mecha-8 cart standalone, without the SGM - WORKS!

This last step is the one that permits the game to function. Therefore, the Mecha 8 cartridge fails on my modded CV only with the SGM attached.

My dumped ROM works perfectly using my AtariMax Ultimate SD with said parameters. This is the way that I've been playing the game since shortly after I received it. But today I felt like playing the actual cart.

All of my other SGM carts work perfectly with the SGM attached (using my modded CV).

It's strange that it's not booting, and my next step will involve pulling out my stock CV to test in this way. But in the meantime... Has anyone else experienced the same or similar issue with Mecha 8?

F18a , SGM, and Mecha 8 works on my console

post-27883-0-92875500-1448222681_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's great, thanks for posting that.

Well now we know this is a true oddity... I'll try a bit more extensive cleaning. But seeing as my carts are rather new and in well-preserved condition, what pin on the cart pinout (if any) is THE pint that connects to the SGM?

EDIT: Also ran OTG's SGM Test ROM, and all tests pass with flying colors.

Edited by phattyboombatty

Update: I guess it was just a case of dirty cart pins, because I came home, "scrunched" the cart into place by wiggling it left and right a bit, and now I'm getting full SGM Mecha-8 gameplay!

It was indeed strange that it worked without the SGM plugged in. :ponder: Anyway, carry on! :music:

Can you take a picture of the cart's pcb that connects to the Colecovision? Do no open cart. Take a picture of both sides and post here. Make sure to use high resolution and good lighting. I wonder if it is the same issue evg2000 has with the split power/ground traces.