IGNORED

Atari 1200XL cartridge port expander/expansion?

Bill Loguidice

Does anyone make or know of an expander (extension) for the cartridge port on the Atari 1200XL? Some cartridges I have just don't fit right in that slot. I know they're available for several other computer brands, but I don't recall seeing any for Atari 8-bits.

Does anyone make or know of an expander (extension) for the cartridge port on the Atari 1200XL? Some cartridges I have just don't fit right in that slot. I know they're available for several other computer brands, but I don't recall seeing any for Atari 8-bits.

MEtalGuy66 made some 1200XL cartridge port to PBI adapters a few years ago that also had 2 cartridge ports, I don't know if there are any still available or not.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/137612-1200xl-pbi-extender-board-production-run-order-here/

MEtalGuy66 made some 1200XL cartridge port to PBI adapters a few years ago that also had 2 cartridge ports, I don't know if there are any still available or not.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/137612-1200xl-pbi-extender-board-production-run-order-here/

Interesting, but I'm looking for something simpler that wouldn't require soldering or any internal modification. Just something that brings the cartridge port connection out so fatter cartridges would fit in the slot.

Interesting, but I'm looking for something simpler that wouldn't require soldering or any internal modification. Just something that brings the cartridge port connection out so fatter cartridges would fit in the slot.

Soldering is only required to use the PBI interface, it will function as a cartridge extender without connecting the extra signals.

You can ask, but pretty sure Metalguy66 sold out of these at the git-go. I have an extra pcb, if someone wants to "roll their own." $12 + shipping to US/Canada (expensive post to Canada), and it will fit in a USPS Flat rate Priority Small Box.

I should note that the pcb the maker did not coat the edge connector, so they have copper contacts for connecting into the cartridge port. PBI connectors are tinned. Still works fine, but FYI. I have two of these, and both are the same in this way.

You can use a PC card connector (cut down) if finding the others is an issue.

PM if interested -- in case of multiple interest, first buyer gets it.

-Larry

If you've got the money to burn, you can always buy an RTime8 cartridge and use it as an extender since it's pass-through. You have to saw off a bit of the cart to make it fit, but it's not difficult to do. I did that to mine decades ago to make it fit, and still use it today. Of course, I had no idea RTime8 carts would become so expensive...!

• Like 1

In case there's any confusion, this is what I'm after for the 1200XL: http://store.go4retro.com/x-pander-3-slot-cartridge-port-expander/ or this, although I'd of course be fine with just one port rather than 3.

I'm actually surprised no one has made something simple like that, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes using the 1200XL even though I have all of the other models of Atari 8-bit.

I just filed the cartridge tunnel out a little to accommodate things like SIDE2 and the OSS 5-in-1. Obviously this doesn't help with SDX and R-Time8, but the ubiquity of internal SDX and RTC modules probably makes the need to plug in such carts something of a rarity these days. So you're certainly far from the only one to enjoy using the 1200XL, but there are several different ways to crack the tunnel problem.