Photo

xdt99: New TI 99 cross-development tools available

210 replies to this topic

#201 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 581 posts

Posted Fri May 12, 2017 8:02 AM

Oh is that it? I already have python 2.7 installed.

I can do the path stuff no problem but I probably wouldn't bother. I'd just write batch files in my source code directory to invoke the assembler.

Python is now up to version 3.6 something, this may or may not matter. I'm taking some lessons on stackskills on it now, though my boss came in and told me to start studying on Cold Fusion, for a new client. Learning never ends.

#202 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,303 posts

Posted Fri May 12, 2017 8:10 AM

Python is now up to version 3.6 something, this may or may not matter. I'm taking some lessons on stackskills on it now, though my boss came in and told me to start studying on Cold Fusion, for a new client. Learning never ends.

I believe you need version 2.7 for xdt99.

#203 Airshack OFFLINE  

Airshack

Moonsweeper

• 369 posts

Posted Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 PM

Requesting help with finding and installing the IntelliJ plug-in.

#204 PeteE OFFLINE  

PeteE

Space Invader

• 33 posts

Posted Mon May 22, 2017 5:54 PM

Requesting help with finding and installing the IntelliJ plug-in.

The plugin is under the ide\idea directory, and is called xdt99-idea.jar

The install instructions are here: https://github.com/e...#installation-1

Edited by PeteE, Mon May 22, 2017 5:56 PM.

#205 Airshack OFFLINE  

Airshack

Moonsweeper

• 369 posts

Posted Mon May 22, 2017 6:28 PM

Thanks brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#206 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,303 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 PM

Would it be possible to allow aliases for the registers in the IntelliJ IDEA plugin, like if you have:

sp equ 10

then it should be valid to have:

label mov r1,*sp+

Thanks,

Rasmus

#207 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,636 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:48 AM

I'm one step closer to successfully assembling some of my code with XDT99. I have a few questions that I can't find answers to after reading the online docs:

1. Is there a way to pipe the assembly errors into a file?  My initial attempts to generate object code are throwing a LOT of errors and it's impossible to know where to start making corrections. (Edit: I expanded the command line buffer so that I can manually copy/paste the errors into another file. this lead to a new question: )

2. Is there a way for xdt99 to report which COPY file and line number the error occurs in?  My project has around 20 files that are copied during assembly.  The error reporting doesn't seem to tell me where to look?

3. What is the process for linking multiple object files using REF/DEF?  I program routines in self-contained code to make it more portable.  REF/DEF are mentioned in the documentation, but I can't figure out how to make use of them.

4. Is there a way to generate a list of DEF and REF labels and their addresses?  This is one of a few features of Paul Charlton's GENASM/GENLINK programs that have spoiled me on the Geneve. (There might be a few ideas to glean from the package's manual if interested).

I have been able to assemble source and create both object and image files for simple programs, so I know the tool itself is working :)

Edit: I figured out how to turn off the extensions with the -s flag, although it then took me a while to figure out that doing so restricted long labels as well.  Either I need to shorten all of my long labels or add more whitespace before offending comments. Maybe long labels could be allowed at all times?  Just a thought.

This is fun :)

Edited by InsaneMultitasker, Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:57 AM.

#208 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 414 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:21 AM

Would it be possible to allow aliases for the registers in the IntelliJ IDEA plugin, like if you have:

sp equ 10

then it should be valid to have:

label mov r1,*sp+

I see what you want to do.  For EQUs, this should be possible.  Right now I actually parse the "R", so a more general register, where only the value 0-15 counts, should be more accurate.  I'll tackle it once the FG99 is out of the door.

In fact, now that I worked with xas99 and xga99 extensively, I can think of some improvements to the assemblers themselves.

#209 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 414 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:34 AM

I'm one step closer to successfully assembling some of my code with XDT99. I have a few questions that I can't find answers to after reading the online docs:

1. Is there a way to pipe the assembly errors into a file?  My initial attempts to generate object code are throwing a LOT of errors and it's impossible to know where to start making corrections. (Edit: I expanded the command line buffer so that I can manually copy/paste the errors into another file. this lead to a new question: )

2. Is there a way for xdt99 to report which COPY file and line number the error occurs in?  My project has around 20 files that are copied during assembly.  The error reporting doesn't seem to tell me where to look?

3. What is the process for linking multiple object files using REF/DEF?  I program routines in self-contained code to make it more portable.  REF/DEF are mentioned in the documentation, but I can't figure out how to make use of them.

4. Is there a way to generate a list of DEF and REF labels and their addresses?  This is one of a few features of Paul Charlton's GENASM/GENLINK programs that have spoiled me on the Geneve. (There might be a few ideas to glean from the package's manual if interested).

I have been able to assemble source and create both object and image files for simple programs, so I know the tool itself is working :)

Edit: I figured out how to turn off the extensions with the -s flag, although it then took me a while to figure out that doing so restricted long labels as well.  Either I need to shorten all of my long labels or add more whitespace before offending comments. Maybe long labels could be allowed at all times?  Just a thought.

This is fun :)

Hi Tim,

It's not entirely clear if you refer to assembly or GPL, but based of the REF/DEF, I assume you mean assembly.

1. That depends on your OS.  Error messages are output to stderr, so with bash you'd redirect with xas99.py ... 2> errors.txt.

2. No, unfortunately, right now the file name is missing from the error messages.  It's in the listing -L, but that is empty in case of an error.  Either way, it should be an easy fix.

3. Currently, you cannot link external object files, as linking is done automatically after assembly.  This is also something I want to improve on.  For now, your best bet is to copy the sources of the object files you want to use.

4. They are generated inside the object file, but no, I haven't implemented the symbol list -S yet.  Also on my todo list.  :ponder:

But it's great that you report any shortcomings for you.  If they're sensible, like yours, I'll incorporate them into xdt99 as soon as I can.  :thumbsup:

#210 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,636 posts

Posted Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 PM

Hi Tim,

It's not entirely clear if you refer to assembly or GPL, but based of the REF/DEF, I assume you mean assembly.

1. That depends on your OS.  Error messages are output to stderr, so with bash you'd redirect with xas99.py ... 2> errors.txt.

2. No, unfortunately, right now the file name is missing from the error messages.  It's in the listing -L, but that is empty in case of an error.  Either way, it should be an easy fix.

3. Currently, you cannot link external object files, as linking is done automatically after assembly.  This is also something I want to improve on.  For now, your best bet is to copy the sources of the object files you want to use.

4. They are generated inside the object file, but no, I haven't implemented the symbol list -S yet.  Also on my todo list.  :ponder:

But it's great that you report any shortcomings for you.  If they're sensible, like yours, I'll incorporate them into xdt99 as soon as I can.  :thumbsup:

Thank you :)  I was referring to assembly and I am using the Windows environment.  I tried copying the source for some of the object files, but many of the labels are duplicated for various reasons. Someone PM'd me with the idea to look at Fred's Linker99, which supposedly can link and load external object files, so I'll look at using that together with the object generated by xas99. :)  

#211 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 414 posts

Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:13 PM

Sounds good.  I'll let everyone know when I have my linker exposed.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users