IGNORED

David Small interview (Magic Sac)

Savetz

Hi ST people,

You ST folk probably don't pay attention to ANTIC: The Atari 8-Bit Podcast, so I thought I'd point you to an episode that might be of interest: my interview with David Small. He created Magic Sac and Spectre GCR (Mac emulators for the ST) and as a result we spend quite a bit of time talking about ST-ish things in the interview.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-11-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-david-small

enjoy

--Kevin

• Like 4

Just got finished listening to this on the way home today. I will never forget the first time I fired up my GCR in my MegaST4.

Kevin if you email David back with additional questions can you ask him about the story that circulated back in the day that they actually had some Atari's at Apple due to the excellent debugging software that David had or something to that effect. Its been a while but I believe that was the story.

Thanks Kevin for the interview and thank you David for some amazing products.

Edited by TwiliteZoner

Kevin,

Thanks for posting this to the ST topic since I don't normally listen to Antic since I wasn't an Atari 8-bit user. The Spectre GCR was an amazing piece of engineering. As of today, the only part of it that I wished I'd kept is the manual. It's still far ahead of its time and something that developers could learn from today. It was probably the only manual that I ever read cover to cover...and I enjoyed it!

It was great to listen to Dave and have his recollections recorded. It brought back those wonderful Current Notes articles that Sandy and he wrote. People like Dave Small made the ST community the great place that it was.

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac
  • Like 1

Hi ST people,

You ST folk probably don't pay attention to ANTIC: The Atari 8-Bit Podcast, so I thought I'd point you to an episode that might be of interest: my interview with David Small. He created Magic Sac and Spectre GCR (Mac emulators for the ST) and as a result we spend quite a bit of time talking about ST-ish things in the interview.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-11-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-david-small

enjoy

--Kevin

There is a lot of cross-interest between the Atari 8-bit and Atari ST, so it's great! Thanks for the heads-up. Just started listening, and it will take a while to get through the entire interview. The more, the better! Thanks for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it. I never had a GCR but I loved Dave Small's articles in various magazines. I was surprised the articles he wrote about putting an 8-bit inside a Camero weren't mentioned. I don't remember the details of what exactly it did.

I always considered Dave Small a programming hero and he was the reason I bought some Neil Young to listen to while coding :-).

It was great to listen to Dave and have his recollections recorded. It brought back those wonderful Current Notes articles that Sandy and he wrote. People like Dave Small made the ST community the great place that it was.

Bob C

Agreed! I always looked forward to any Current Notes magazine that had something written by him in it. He had this "laid back" writing style that I love to this day. :)