IGNORED

Chris Schneider's -- NEW NEWSLETTER

Omega-TI

Is that one of those bulletin boards that require your private phone number and other personal information or you're not welcome?

I remember a BBS once that said if you were found to have multiple accounts it would delete all accounts. My problem is I've tried many BBS's out over the years and cannot remember which ones I've tried as a guest and which ones I've signed up with. With my luck I'd try it out, only to get blocked.

Is that one of those bulletin boards that require your private phone number and other personal information or you're not welcome?

I remember a BBS once that said if you were found to have multiple accounts it would delete all accounts. My problem is I've tried many BBS's out over the years and cannot remember which ones I've tried as a guest and which ones I've signed up with. With my luck I'd try it out, only to get blocked.

if you signed up more than 90 days ago and haven't been on, your account was deleted automatically unless you are on a membership

if you are that concerned, drop me an email and i'll check for you.. reasonable?

Greg

• 3 months later...
All,

The latest issue of the SHIFT838 Newsletter (Volume 3 No 1) is out!

I'll be sending it to the subscribers in a few minutes and updating my website later.

I have sent it to all my subscribers and below are links:

PDF View:

I have noticed that on Windows 10 and the new Edge internet browser the PDF does not pull open. It does in other browsers like Chrome, etc. So if you get a error with Windows 10 and Edge that states:

'Couldn't open PDF'

'Something’s keeping this PDF from opening.'

There is a quick fix for it.

Left click on the 3 dots at top right of Edge browser then click on open with Internet Explorer. You will then have to navigate back to the http://shift838.99er.netmain page and the newsletter section, then click on the PDF newsletter link. Adds a couple of seconds but works. Or you can just downloaded it from the FTP site with a FTP client and view.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 4

I was very happy to read of Jaime Malilong's work on a new nano SD card!

Some comments on Jaime's nanoPEB and sidecar plans—

Your issue, Chris, with the SIO device, though Jaime is not planning to fix it, has been addressed in the last update to Fred Kaal’s CF2K program, which now works to properly tag nanoPEB v1, v1.1 and v2. Of course, software that explicitly opens SIO on v1.1 boards will fail. RS232 or RS232/1 will need to be opened instead.

I was very excited to read of Jaime's progress on a new nanoPEB with SD card in FAT32 format until I read that he does not plan to implement sector-level access. That breaks backward compatibilty with TI-99/4A disk DSRs and is a deal breaker for me because so much of TI software uses sector-level access—most notably, TI Forth and my fbForth 2.0 utilities for TI Forth.

Hopefully, Jaime's planned side-car peripherals will eventually provide a “disk” peripheral with a fully TI-99/4A-compatible DSR. Based on his quoted comments, I am not holding my breath.

...lee

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I agree with you. This new version will not be helpful to my development plans for sure. OK for TIB+, but not for X4th99, as I have no plans for adding file I/O in my lifetime. Is anyone taking a pole on this issue to hopefully change Jaime's mind?

I was very happy to read of Jaime Malilong's work on a new nano SD card!

Some comments on Jaime's nanoPEB and sidecar plans—

Your issue, Chris, with the SIO device, though Jaime is not planning to fix it, has been addressed in the last update to Fred Kaal’s CF2K program, which now works to properly tag nanoPEB v1, v1.1 and v2. Of course, software that explicitly opens SIO on v1.1 boards will fail. RS232 or RS232/1 will need to be opened instead.

I was very excited to read of Jaime's progress on a new nanoPEB with SD card in FAT32 format until I read that he does not plan to implement sector-level access. That breaks backward compatibilty with TI-99/4A disk DSRs and is a deal breaker for me because so much of TI software uses sector-level access—most notably, TI Forth and my fbForth 2.0 utilities for TI Forth.

Hopefully, Jaime's planned side-car peripherals will eventually provide a “disk” peripheral with a fully TI-99/4A-compatible DSR. Based on his quoted comments, I am not holding my breath.

...lee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...